Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is there performance brakes for my e350 phoenix cruiser?  (Read 1765 times)
Mrbill

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: august 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: Yes
IntColor: blue
ExtColor: blue
________

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:05:34 pm »

HI,
The brakes on my 07 e350 phoenix cruiser are not up to par in my opinion as far as stopping fast enough if needed. Has anyone upgraded their brakes to make these cruisers slow down better?
Thanks
ron.dittmer
Owner
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 282
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 07:34:47 pm »

We improved the braking performance of our 2007 E350 PC-2350 by selecting the a Unified tow braking system for our Jeep Liberty.  When towing the Liberty and the driver-adjustable sensitivity is set to the top limit, it actually reduces braking distance as compared to towing nothing at all.

I realize it's not the type of answer you were seeking, but it is the only thing I know of that directly addresses your inquiry.

Here is the braking distance chart off the manufacture website.  The actual numbers would not apply given they are based off a different motor home, but the relationship does seem to be accurate based on our personal experience with the system.

Click Here To Read The Chart Better:  http://www.usgear.cc/utbstop.htm

If you had rear drum brakes (which you do not), I would have advised you adjust the rear brake shoes yourself.  If adjusted properly, the rear drum brakes will do much more for you than what they typically offer.  But even at their best, I think rear disk brakes out-perform rear drums any day.

Other influential factors are things like traveling lighter, traveling without any on-board water or sewage for example.  But then that defeats the idea of having a motor home in the first place.

Suspension upgrades would indirectly help in reducing stopping distance.  A well planted rig will utilize it's current brakes better.

I just don't know of any brake upgrade available.

Your 2007 E350, the brakes all around are a bit smaller than on a 2008 or newer chassis.  The quick indicator of bigger or smaller brakes is.....
If your E350 or E450 has the latest industrial looking front grille styling, than you have the bigger brakes.  All rotors, caliper pistons, and pads are a little larger.  Not much larger, but surely a welcome.  I think the rotors are no longer integrated as part of the hub.  They are more like a car is setup where the rotor slides over the lugs and hub, held in place by the wheel & lug nuts.

The 2009s also got an interior face-lift, an improvement in another category, with a glove box and two-tier door pockets, and a more practical dash board & center console.  Things like the 12V sockets are in better places to be out of the driver's way.  When my wife plugs into 12V, I can't use my gear shifter unless I hold it a certian way.  It seems a safety hazzard.

Sorry I got off-topic.

It would be interesting to know if you could install 2008-2013 brakes on a pre-2008 chassis.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:01:40 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron & Irene Dittmer, 2007 Model 2350, Ordered Without A Slideout
ron.dittmer
Owner
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:53:25 pm »

I happen to have the Ford chassis specs with me for the 2007, 2008, and 2010 model years.  Here is what I compiled on the difference in brakes.  It would seem the E350 and the E450 of the same year utilizes the same brake components like calipers, disks & pads, but the E450 gets a more effective power braking system.  Instead of the typical vacuum assist power brake diaphragm that all typical vehicles are equiped with including the E350, the E450 has what is called a hydro-boost power brake system.  I wish I knew more about it and how it works.  I seem to recall it uses fluid and a pump spun by the serpentine belt, a similar setup as with power steering.

2007 E350 & E450
2.20" dia Dual-Piston Front Calipers
?   Rears are not specified
13.03" dia Front Rotors
12.90" dia Rear Rotors

2008 & 2010 E350 & E450
2.36" dia Dual-Piston Front Calipers
1.89" dia (Single or Dual) Rear Calipers
13.58" Front & Rear Rotors

The slightly larger pistons & rotors of the later model years should help with stopping power, though not a cure-all night/day difference.  It seems the hydro-boost of the E450 would be most influencial.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:02:43 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 144
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 05:33:58 pm »

I wish I knew more about it and how it works.  I seem to recall it uses fluid and a pump spun by the serpentine belt, a similar setup as with power steering.

Ron,

I have the E450; yes, the brake hydro-boost system uses hydraulic fluid assist instead of vacuum assist and one hydraulic pump on the serpentine belt runs both the power steering and brake hydro-assist.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
ron.dittmer
Owner
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:47:44 pm »

Thank you Bob for that clarity.

Our 2007 E350 when not towing, could sure use a little help in the "Stopping" department.  Studying the changes made to the brakes for the 2008 model year, that extra 0.275" (0.55" dia) on the front disks (a tad more on the rear) would help, but I feel having the E450 hydro-boost would be more effective than the larger brakes.

I do question the power brake booster on my 2007 E350 because it is the exact same one used on the 2007 E150 van.  Same booster to stop 3 times the weight???  Admittedly I simply have to press harder which is effective, but a panic brake takes a lot of leg muscle, much more than is customary in other vehicles.  That is not good for a typical elderly driver with slower response time and weaker leg muscles.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:54:58 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 144
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 04:26:00 pm »

Ron,

We are heading out for a short shake-down trip with our new rescue cat to see if she is a traveler, we used to have cat that was a great traveler but he has used up his nine lives - we miss him.

We usually tow the Wrangler with the Unified brake system, and as you know since that is what you have, the brake assist from the Unified system really helps stop the RV and toad combo without a lot of foot pressure.

For this short trip we will not be towing the Wrangler and I will pay attention to the brake effort required and report back, it will be a subjective opinion on my part and I can only compare it to our old pick-up/camper rig with vacuum assist.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:55:38 pm by bobander » Logged

2010  PC 2551
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: