Poll
Question: Is this just something that is associated with driving large trucks.
0one - 0 (0%)
two - 0 (0%)
three - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Steering question  (Read 694 times)
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:30:16 am »

Now that we have the Fit hooked up with our Road Master hitch, i notice that the PC seems to require a secondary response after a curve while driving at road speed. This secondary motion requires a series of alternating, but decreasing in size, movements of the steering wheel from right to left. I have installed Bilsteins, and Safe-T-Brake steering damper. I do not have the same motion when the Fit is not attached.

My bride thinks it may be due to the play in the hitch which allows the ends of the Roadmaster arms to move as much as 2 inches to be the problem. Today i will add a U bolt to take the play out.

Today i am having the block removed on the diver side rear springs that Kermit says is not needed. That block resulted in a lean in to the right of the vehicle and i am thinking that ean may be causing the problem.

Another solution could be to add Helwigs stabilizer bars.

Any suggestions?

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:38:40 am »

Hi ge_montana,

Internet suspension diagnosis is always to be taken with scrutiny.  With that understood here is my input.

You have a newer model 2551 on an E450 chassis, meaning that your chassis is about the least loaded as an E450 could be.  

Heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars would reduce side-to-side rocking motion.  But if your rig is not doing that while you compensate, your compensation troubles might get resolved with a rear trac bar.  The trac bar reduces horizontal side-to-side motion referred to as tail-wagging.  Either type of such motion can require steering compensation as you describe.  Determine what type of behavior your rig has, rocking or tail-wagging.  Then consider the appropriate resolution.

You are correct to address the play in your tow bar through one of these (called a Quiet Hitch) and see if it helps.

Be sure your tow bar is horizontal.  If not, buy something like this to make it so, and get the right height as they are sold in different off-sets.  A tow bar on an angle greater than a 2" height difference between motor home and tow vehicle can create notable bucking.  The greater the difference, the greater the bucking action.
Though it is not the problem you describe, it is worth mentioning since you brought up the play in your tow bar.  Adding a riser will introduce a lot more play in the tow bar, so be sure to use two Quiet Hitch U-Bolts there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:50:58 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:24:45 am »

I agree, the first step is to remove the play in the hitch and make sure it is level.

I use the Draw-Tite J-Pin Stabilization Pin and Barrel Lockset.  It locks everything together; there is no waggle. Here is a link with good pictures and video.

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks,Hitch-Accessories/Draw-Tite/63201.html

Here is a link to a previous post dealing with Tow Bar Alignment

http://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php/topic,569.msg3599.html#msg3599

Barry
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:28:26 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:25:42 pm »

Barry and others:

I utilize the "J" style locking pin (and find it to be the best style) to take the movement out of the hitch but please be aware that the hitch reciever that PC is using now does not have the extra hole for the small tip on the J hook to go into...I think they are using Draw Tight hitches now.  I had to drill the second hole myself on my new  late production 2012 3100 and trust me that stock does not make for easy drilling so check your reciever for that second hole!  best of luck.  Ron
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:19:39 pm »

Ron

I had the same issue.  When we picked up our PC I brought the bit and had the factory drill the hole and then they painted it.  Their air powered drill made it look easy.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 06:08:05 am »

Thanks Ron, what i have is the wag, and i believe the Henderson and the U-bolt attachment to the receiver are the issue. By the way i found the following as a good discussion:

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/MH_Steering_Handling_%20Primer.pdf

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: