Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Planning September Trip Michigan to Maine  (Read 2033 times)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »

Need some suggestions - things to do and campgrounds

We are planning a months trip out east traveling from Michigan to Maine.  Any suggestions as to things to do, places to go and campgrounds would be appreciated.
We plan on going to Acadia NP and also visiting friends in Cape Cod but that is all I have planned so far.  HELP!!!!   Help

Thanks

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:01:44 am »

We have been to Maine for the last 3 years (and possibly this year if mom gets better). I grew up in Maine, That being said:
If you can't get reservations at either of the National Park Campgrounds, stay at Hadley's Point Campground. It is the most reasonably priced of the private campgrounds in Bar Harbor. LL Bean provides a free bus from the campgrounds to town and all over the place, so you really don't need a car. There is another campground called The Bar Harbor Campground-never stayed there but it looks interesting. No reservations.

We went to Boothbay Harbor last year and stayed at Shore Hills Campground. Nice.

Another good campground is the Wild Duck in Scarborough ME (just outside of Portland). It is about 2 miles from Scarborough Beach and adjacent to the Audobon Society Scarborough River Reservation. Kayaks, canoes etc. It is an easy ride from there to the Cape (depending on where you are going on the Cape)

If you like lobster--before you get to Bar Harbor is the Trenton Lobster Pound and in Scarborough is Bailey's.

Maine has a very nice Camping Guide that you can pick up at the Welcome Center on the Maine Turnpike.

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:32:18 am »

Judi,

Thanks - exactly what I was looking for.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
echo11

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 4/18/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: No
IntColor: maple/ biege
ExtColor: umbre
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:27:32 am »

Wild Duck in Scarborough, ME is very nice.  We were there last year and will be there again this Sept.  It is considered an adult campground in that it doesn't allow children.  It doesn't have a pool, no activities.  We really enjoyed the quiet!

We will be going to Boothbay Harbor, ME in August- staying at Shore Hills campground.  It gets very good reviews.
Roni
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:35:03 pm »

Roni is correct! The Wild Duck is quiet. We have stayed there 2-3 nights for the last 3 years. There is another campground closer to the beach -Bayley's-just loaded with kids.

There is a take-out restaurant called Salty Bay that is down toward the beach that has really good fried clams. Bayley's Lobster Pound has both lobster and steamers that they cook to go. I need my fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judi

Punta Gorda FL
BrownCrew

Helpful Rating: 6
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: May/2011
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Rust Lower Body
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 04:38:50 pm »

ThumbsUp

Wild Duck and Salty Bay

Each day is a gift, and not a given right.
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 06:21:37 pm »

Plan your trip carefully in regard to who else will be there.  The one time we visited Maine at Bar Harbor on a cruise ship the Obamas were vacationing there and the top of Cadillac Mountain was closed off to all other traffic.  We saw lots of tinted window black SUVs in the park, however.

Jerry
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 20
________
PurchDate: January 2008
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 04:29:46 pm »

When in Boothbay Harbor try to plan the Cabbage Island Boat trip. Includes a nice Lobster feast.

BGolden

Bill and Karen Golden
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 05:48:44 pm »

We hadn't planned to head North this summer but the pull of New England got the better of us! You can't take a Yankee out of New England and transplant him/her to the South without having withdrawal pains.

Just made reservations at Seawall Campground in Acadia National Park for Aug. 21-28.

We plan to head to MA arriving on Aug 7th.

If anyone is anywhere near, give us a shout! Love to meet folks that we talk to on the Forum in the flesh!

Judi and George

Punta Gorda FL
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 20
________
PurchDate: January 2008
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 08:44:14 am »

Hmmmmm.....I won't have to travel to PEI to meet up with you and George? Where will you be staying during this trip? I'm off to the FMCA Rally in Vermont this week. So far no plans in August. Tennesee in September.

Bil Golden      kumbaya

Bill and Karen Golden
bigbadjc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 11:33:03 am »

Seeing your mention of Tennessee in September made me think of the last RV trip we made to the Volunteer State.  We rolled into Pigeon Forge on October 15 and found out that RV sites were almost impossible to find because this was the height of the season to see the foliage change colors. We finally found a site.  The next morning we hit out to drive around the park expecting to be knee deep in traffic.  Cades Cove, usually a jammed scenic area, was practically empty.  Ditto the rest of the park.  However, when we returned at the end of the day, you couldn't get within a mile of the discount malls or tourist traps because of the traffic.  Apparently saying you're going to see the scenic wonders means different things to different people.  Tennessee, however, is a beautiful state.  One place I would recommend visiting is Fontana Lake which is on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina.  It is formed by Fontana Dam, the tallest concrete dam east of the Rockies.

Jerry
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 12:33:55 pm »

Hmmmmm.....I won't have to travel to PEI to meet up with you and George? Where will you be staying during this trip? I'm off to the FMCA Rally in Vermont this week. So far no plans in August. Tennesee in September.

Bil Golden      kumbaya
We will be in Mattapoisett MA for 2 weeks (arriving 8/7) and then we head to Acadia National Park-Seawall Campground-for a week  ( Aug. 21-27) and then we head back to Mattapoisett. Our plan is to leave MA the day after Labor Day and head to DC and then on home. George's sister lives in Mattapoisett, so we camp in the driveway and he does repairs to her house.

We were in DC 3 years ago but only for 2 days. We toured the White House, the Capital, the Botanical Museum, Library of Congress and Arlington National Cemetary. Now we want to to the Smithsonian and the DAR Headquarters. Maybe, 4 days in DC. this trip and then on home.

Punta Gorda FL
bigbadjc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 01:03:52 pm »

If you're stopping in the DC area, I might offer a couple of other suggestions.  The short trip out to Mount Vernon is worth the trip.  Likewise, as you head south you might want to visit the Colonial Williamsburg area, including Jamestown and the Yorktown battlefield.  It's a little way off I-95, but reeks with historical significance.  The restoration of Williamsburg is one of the nations's treasures.

Jerry
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 09:44:28 am »

Thanks Jerry. We have been to Mount Vernon and Williamsburg. We stayed at the Williamsburg Inn which was super.

Hadn't thought of Jamestown. We will give that some consideration.

Judi

Punta Gorda FL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: