Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scheduled Ford service  (Read 1881 times)
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 08:19:52 pm »

Nicely said...  I buy synthetic oil when on sale at Menards for almost the same price as reg oil. 
I like the fact that when we do our winter excursion from Wisconsin to Arizona, I don't need to be concerned about oil changes.

Denny and Barb 

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 10:51:02 pm »

Jerry,

The manual specifies semi-synthetic so full synthetic seems reasonable to use.  With our tow vehicle pushing from behind, the engine gets extremely close to red-lining when using lower gears down long grades.  The full synthetic provides extra peace of mind.  And these days the cost of conventional oil is quite expensive, closing the gap with the cost of full synthetic.  I used to buy conventional oil for 99 cents a quart on sale.  No such sale these days.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:59:42 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 11:09:16 pm »

I went to my factory shop manual but could not find anything about oil capacity.  Where did you find that info in your factory shop manual
Hi Bob,

My 2007 E-series 3 volume shop manual is published by Ford.  In volume #2 on page 303-01B-1 is the specs chart for the 6.8L engine.  It is on the very first page after the intro pages with indexing.  Left-hand column, lower section, it states the oil capacity as 6.9 quarts with filter.

303-01B is the section exclusive for the 6.8L engine, coming after the smaller gas V8 engine sections.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:31:59 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 131
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 01:28:40 am »

I went to my factory shop manual but could not find anything about oil capacity.  Where did you find that info in your factory shop manual
Hi Bob,

My 2007 E-series 3 volume shop manual is published by Ford.  In volume #2 on page 303-01B-1 is the specs chart for the 6.8L engine.  It is on the very first page after the intro pages with indexing.  Left-hand column, lower section, it states the oil capacity as 6.9 quarts with filter.

303-01B is the section exclusive for the 6.8L engine, coming after the smaller gas V8 engine sections.

Ron,

I have the same Ford 3 volume set for my 2010 and it was right where you said, I missed it the first time.  For 2010 it states the capacity to be 7.0 quarts with filter, which is different from the 6.0 in the owners manual.  The owners manual doesn't say anything about with or without filter for the 6 qts.

For my engine, it takes 6 1/2 qts to get to the full mark, more than the owners manual and less than the shop manual, Ford seems to have dropped the ball in this area.

Thanks, Bob

2010  PC 2551
Zorba

Helpful Rating: 1
________
OwnPC: No
Model: 2552
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 01:43:19 pm »

This allows the new filter to be tightened by hand better.  It is a hand-tighten-only process.  No tools to tighten the oil filter.  That is critical to follow or you may damage the new filter, or over-compress & deform the gasket.
This reminds me of the time, MANY years ago, I had overtightened the oil filter on a Chevy truck we had. It would *NOT* come off, not even with the "drive a screwdriver through the filter and turn" trick. It just twisted and collapsed the filter housing. Totally my fault.

So, there I am in the middle of my driveway with this now undrivable truck. So I have AAA tow it down to the local Texaco station where my family has done business for decades. It took the guy 30 minutes with a hammer and chisel to get the base of the filter off. He then offered me the "ultimate" advice that you NEVER want to hear from a mechanic: "Don't you EVER do that again, and if you do, don't bring it here!".  rolling on the floor
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 36
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 09:40:05 pm »

Recently changed the oil  in my 2012 and only put 6 qts. in and the stick showed nearly exactly on the upper dot on the stick.  Reading everyones posts I added additional 1/2 quart tonight  and and it now shows above the high dot so I honestly think 6 quarts is really capacity.  Thanks
aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 60
________
Model: 2100
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 10:07:52 pm »

In honor of this post, I'm going to learn how to change the oil in our 1981 Ford F100 this week.  It's high enough I can just slide under, so I'm gonna learn how to do it.  Wish me luck, and I'll let you know how it goes!

Aimee, Webmistress
Zorba

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 06:02:03 pm »

In honor of this post, I'm going to learn how to change the oil in our 1981 Ford F100 this week.  It's high enough I can just slide under, so I'm gonna learn how to do it.  Wish me luck, and I'll let you know how it goes!
"Pro tip:" Don't over tighten the filter!  rolling on the floor
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 27
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 09:49:33 pm »

I have a problem in that the Ford owners manual says 6 qts.  Overfilling the oil can result in problems, so I think Ford would change the owners manual if 7 qts was now the proper amount to preclude possible legal actions against Ford ???  Just a thought, but I spent too much time in corprate matters to dismiss this.  Something just doesn't sound right....
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 11:07:22 pm »

Might be a little more expense but inbetween  oil changes I change the filter and then add the appropriate oil. I use napa gold, not the "big filter".  It's worth it to me!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:52:02 pm by billy » Logged

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Gary

Helpful Rating: 2
________
Model: 2100
________

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 02:07:41 am »

Back when I was able to work I was a auto tech for Goodyear, we had one regular who was a woman, you could set your watch by her every 3,000 miles she would come in for a oil change and tire rotation and in between if anything went wrong or broke we would fix it for her with a discount.  One time she didn't show up for her oil change, as she was a older lady we gave her a call to see if she was ok, she said she was and she would stop by in a few days to see us, sure enough in a day or two she stops by. She told us she had been watching me work on her car and figured out by both watching and asking questions how to change the oil herself, she said everything went ok till she added the new oil, she said that it took much longer than what it took us in her words it took over a hour to add the oil. She asked us to show her what we did, well after taking off the oil cap and putting in the oil gun to add she goes "OMG thats what that thing is for" I looked at her and ask her what she did, she goes " well I took out the stick and added the oil down the little hole it was in".  She was adding the oil down the dip stick tube.  rolling on the floor   
She was a good sport and laughed at what she had done, after that she didn't try to change her oil again.

About the mobil 1 , we had a mobil oil rep stop in one day gave out some hats and wanted to know if we had any questions for her. One guy asked about the 3,000 mile change as some auto makers said to go longer than that between changes, she said that mobil 1 can go up to 7,500 miles before it needed changed but the filter still needed changed at 3,000 miles.

Gary
Zorba

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 12:33:58 pm »

... She was adding the oil down the dip stick tube...

My sister-in-law thought that was how it was done also. I think they see someone adding transmission fluid and
get the two confused...
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 11:05:32 pm »

6 quarts 7 quarts, I guess that why the make a dip stick. Also when draining the oil take a screwdriver and put a hole in the bottom of the old filter. Let it drain, makes for a lot cleaner job.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 07:42:03 am »

Also when draining the oil take a screwdriver and put a hole in the bottom of the old filter. Let it drain, makes for a lot cleaner job.
Yep!  I do that all the time.  Thanks for bringing it up Billy.

When cleaning up, one of the last things I do is pierce the top of the oil filter (opposite the mounting) right near the edge using a hammer and sharp small flat blade screw driver.  The hole lets air in the backside of the filter to get the oil to drain freely.  I place it in the funnel on top of waste jug overnight.  Next day, the filter is nicely drained.  No more oily mess to deal with on garbage day.  Good for the enviornment too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:56:17 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Jimbo

________
PurchDate: July 2007
IntColor: Cherry / Gray
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 04:09:57 pm »

Changing the oil was the most frustrating thing to figure out when I got my 2007 2350.  I've always changed the oil in it and I've never had anybody else to do it.  The first time I changed the oil, I had read it took 7 quarts which is what I put in it.  Checking the oil level showed too much oil and then I read about all the problems Ford had with the markings on the oil dipsticks being incorrect.  So I was left wondering if showing too much oil on the dipstick was really correct or if the dipstick marks were incorrect. 

Checking the owner's manual said it should only take 6 quarts.  So the next time I changed the oil, I put in 6 quarts and it was halfway between the oil marks.  So once again, I was confused and since the owner's manual didn't specify if the 6 quarts was with or without the filter change, I added about 3/4 quart more to get to the upper mark.  That was until I realized it takes a lot longer than I was used to for the oil to drain out of the engine back into the oil pan after running the engine.  I thought I had the correct amount of oil, but when I checked it 5 minutes later, it was showing too much and I had to remove some. 

Assuming my oil dipstick is correct, it appears that it takes just a little over 6.5 quarts of oil which I'm assuming is for the filter for the oil level to reach the upper mark on the dipstick.  Of course it was still in the back of my mind that the dipstick markings could be incorrect.  Plus, I know that too much oil is not good either.  I finally gave up trying to figure it out and I just assumed the oil dipstick was correct and I ended up using 6 quarts like the owner's manual said.  This was also my first vehicle with a Ford engine so I thought maybe the oil reading should be in the middle of the oil dipstick marks and not all the way up to the upper line like it is on GM engines.

I now have almost 50,000 miles on my RV and the engine still doesn't burn enough oil to get down to the bottom oil mark on the dipstick before the next oil change.  I've also use the Motorocraft 5W-20 oil and filter that I get at Walmart.  I buy one 5 quart jug and 1 quart bottle of oil and the filter.  Plus, I usually try to change the oil every 3,000 and I grease the chassis at the same time.  It takes a lot less time for me to do it then to take it somewhere to have this done.  Also, with my previous RVs, I have sent oil samples to Blackstone Labs to have the oil analyzed.  From past experience I know oil usually won't last 5,000 miles before it doesn't protect the engine as well even using Mobile 1 synthetic oil.  So I stick with the 3,000 mile interval between oil changes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: