Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alignment experience  (Read 854 times)
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:11:10 am »

Ok all... thanks for the "handling issue" help.   Installed the  Blue Ox Tracbar and that seemed to help.  Yesterday filled the tanks and had the front end aligned.  Had a bad toe-in I was told, and this alignment seemed to help quite a bit.   However. after they took it out for a test drive, he mentioned that my steering is tight and jerky which causes over-steering.  (I noticed this myself)  He said with only 1500 miles on the unit, the ball joints are too tight yet and should free themselves up within the next couple of thousand miles. He said they (the original no-zert fitting types) start out too tight and later they become too loose, and the zert type is better.

I did initially try and get Ford to warranty the alignment.  This is what I was told by two Ford dealerships.  They were willing to run it thru on warranty  at both shops.  However, the 2350 is too long for the car shops and I would need to take it to a Auth Ford Truck repair shop.  So I called a Ford dealership that has truck repair facilities. They could do the work, but they don't or can't do warranty work!  Figure that one out?  I asked where then do I get warranty work done on this vehicle and guess it is not at the truck shop because they are not setup to do any warranty work.  But guess were then at the mercy of the car shop if they can work on a vehicle this large.   Anyone else have experiences with this? 

Denny and Barb

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:32:52 am »

We had a similar experience. Ford does not warranty alignments on rv's because they say that the rv builder is responsible. We had another problem with the a/c which Ford did repair under warranty. We had a local front end do the alignment. It cost less than the Ford Truck dealer's price.

George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:09:53 am »

In Fresno we have a great shop, o'brien brake and front end. I work for the old man, strict but fair. Interesting about the tie rod ends. Usually toe will not affect steering that much, caster the one. When I had the pc done the tech told me it was within spec but to keep an eye on the  tires. Camber was close, so I had the bushing kit installed to adjust camber to the correct spec.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:19:37 pm »

Denny and Barb,

Call and talk with Kermit.  He might refund you the cost of your alignment.  I seem to recall he did that for someone else who had bought a brand new rig with handling issues.

Back in 2007, I ate the $170 for my alignment.  After spending $67,200 (plus IL sales tax) for a new PC and an additional $3,900 on suspension upgrades to address our 2350's handling issues, what was $170 shrug  I considered it an uneventful expense.  It costs more than that to fill my gas tank.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:24:26 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Denny & Barb

________
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 05:59:44 pm »

I have driven Fords all my life, and have to admit that some (E-150, Windstar, now the  E350), are not good handlers.

The alignment guy I took this 2350 to is one guy (family owned) that I can trust.  He was the only place in the city that could get my E150 conv van to handle that I bought. I took it to Ford twice, with no success. Finally my brother, who works for Ford said take it to this guy.  I did, and he fixed the handling issue. Don't remember exactly what he did, but he had to bend something!

My alignment cost $77 with tax.  I may think about calling Kermit about this and see what he says. I want to get a wiring diagram for the coach anyway...   Is the best way to call Kermit is to call the PC number and then just ask for him?  You know... what I also need is some PC literature.  I have people goggling over the PC just about every place I go. In just a few weeks, I probably have shown the inerds to a dozen people.
Denny and Barb

gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 07:00:04 pm »

Anytime we need to talk to Kermit, we call the main # and if he is not there at the time, he is very good about returning the call. Give it a try!

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Denny & Barb

________
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:06:17 pm »

Thanks!

ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:38:24 am »

D&B:

Glad you are making some headway with the 2350 and its handling issues.  If you look back on this board you will see a great deal of discussion surrounding my "go around" with Ford about getting my 2551 aligned...I ultimately paid out of pocket the $140 because Ford would do nothing to help the cause and after calling 7-8 dealerships some that were Ford Truck certified and being told they would not work on the coach I gave up and went to a private truck center.  I never thought to bug Kermit about the issue.  i do think it should be the coach manafacturer that should make sure the front ends are right when they leave the factory but I do not see that ever happening.  Best of luck.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 10:42:30 am »

I wonder if coach manufactures don't include an alignment before the rig leaves the factory because the house is not yet loaded as would be on trips.  It is recommended the alignment be done with full fresh water tank, full gas tank, full propane tank, and all the gear and supplies the owner typically carries.

To get a better alignment yet, appropiate weight can be added where people would sit.  I did a bit of that, placing weights (from an exercise weight set), some extra patio blocks I have, and my heavy tow bar hardware directly behind the driver and passenger seat.  This to more closely represent the two of us sitting up front while in transit.  It may be a bit extreme, but is easy enough to do.  I would think a 300 pound variation (me 185, my wife 115) in the front cab should have some amount of influence on an alignment.  It is something to consider when having your alignment done.

Rotorbrain

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: 4/23/2009
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2009
IntColor: Green
ExtColor: Green
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 12:50:12 am »

Wink We had our 2551 aligned as soon as Phoenix completed the coach in 2009 by a shop in Elkhart recommended by Stuart.  It was one of the best alignments we have ever gotten and it drove perfectly.  Our 2009 PC 2551 is our second Phoenix and the 15th camper we have had.

Rotorbrain
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 09:16:43 am »

The shop we went to here did not want to do the alignment right away when the rig was new.  George there advised we first put on 500 to 750 miles before getting a first alignment, something to do with letting the suspension "seat or settle in" if I recall correctly.  He said the tires will survive well so not to worry about them.  He advised to go on one trip to get those miles on the rig, and be sure to load the rig for a real trip, and "Keep Everything" in it when bringing the rig in for an alignment.  He said be sure the waste tanks are drained and the fresh tank, gas tank, and propane tank are all full.....then bring it to the shop.  He also said it wouldn't hurt to add weight just behind the front seats to simulate me and my wife sitting in the front seats.

Having "true" weight and weight distribution during an alignment, offers the best alignment.  The shop's recommendation falls in-line with why it is not ideal for Phoenix to do an alignment before delivery.

If you click on that link I provided, you will see the shop's specialty are motor homes, emergency vehicles like ambulances and fire trucks, buses and the big trucks.  They know their stuff.  That is why I also had them take care of our suspension upgrades.  They have been doing this since 1972.  Oh, they also solved all my troubles with my 1st motor home in 1995.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:28:11 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 09:44:53 am »

I bought my PC 2551 with 4K miles on it and have no idea whether it had been aligned or not.  However, it is very comfortable to drive in everything but a strong (30mph+) crosswind and shows no signs of tire wear.  Now, does anybody have a real good idea of how much difference it makes if I do have it aligned that I load up as precisely as has been suggested?  These are heavy vehicles with very strong suspension systems and I wonder how much effect a couple of hundred pounds here or there makes.  When I have my car tires aligned, I do not put 150 pound sandbags in all four seats and in the trunk, nor make sure the gas tank is filled.  If it is required for trucks, why not for cars?  Just wondering??

Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: