Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sprinter MPG  (Read 2255 times)
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 35
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2012, 02:20:46 pm »

I know there are many PC's riding on Sprinter chassis out there but do not seem to hear much from "you all" on this forum....what are you actually getting for MPG with full tanks, AC on doing 65MPH?  Are you content with the vehicles handling?  How are they standing up from a maintennace perspective? Do you feel the increase cost of the chassis is worth it? Just wondering!  Thanks
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:43:57 pm »

I would also like to hear from them.  I too would like to know their mpg,  what is their typical open-road speed, and also if they tow anything.

The Sprinter has always caught my curiosity in fuel efficiency and how owners achieve it.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
lgall

Helpful Rating: 2
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 10-2011
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:14:47 pm »

I traded my 2551 in on a 2400 on sprinter chassis and heres my  thoughts on both motor homes.the 450 ford is nice plenty of power  and  a good ride on smooth roads.Mileage was 7 to 9 not towing,according to which way the wind was blowing in okla.and tx.Stuart  traded me for my 2400 and have had it not quite a year and about 10000 miles.The sprinter is quiter to ride in ,no wind noise,rides way better that the ford and wind does not brother it anymore than the ford.Mileage is from 13 to 17 again according to which way the wind is blowing.Now the mileage does not seem that much but i would spend 100 to 125 to fill up the ford and 50 to 60 on the sprinter,your do the math.I am going to either sell or trade the spinter for another sprinter chassis on a different floor plan as we miss the down bed.I was happy with the ford except for the mileage but like the spinter a lot more.
That's my opinion for what its worth.

LG
BrownCrew

Helpful Rating: 6
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: May/2011
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: No
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Rust Lower Body
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 09:12:19 am »

I know there are many PC's riding on Sprinter chassis out there but do not seem to hear much from "you all" on this forum....what are you actually getting for MPG with full tanks, AC on doing 65MPH?  Are you content with the vehicles handling?  How are they standing up from a maintennace perspective? Do you feel the increase cost of the chassis is worth it? Just wondering!  Thanks

Although I don't think there are "many" of us running around on a Sprinter, here goes ...

Average 16mpg ... best 18, worst 12 ... generally keep it 65mph and under unless passing or running downhill.

Content with handling ... Absolutely.  

Maintenance perspective ... In just over a year ownership and 10,000 miles driven it has been routine maintenance and 2 issues completely covered under warranty.  One was an egr sensor replacement and the other was the seal on the rear differential developed a leak.

Worth the increased cost ?  ... I really don't know, I honestly think that is SO much an individual's perspective that there is no correct answer.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:50:48 am by BrownCrew » Logged

Each day is a gift, and not a given right.
dickreid1

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: Feb. 2012
Model: 2910
________

All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:27:34 pm »

I traded my in-line 5-cylinder Winnebago View for my new PC 2910D.
Below is the performance graph for the unit I traded in.

The specification for that motor-home is 17 to 19 mpg. Over 80+ thousand miles my fuel consumption averaged 18 mpg... highways, byways, AC, no AC, mountains, plains, good fuel, bad.

When the EPA emission requirements for 2008 came on stream it was necessary for Mercedes to go to a V6-cylinder engine to get the horse power rating back up to the HP of the previous in-line 5 cylinder engine. The upside was a larger chassis for greater Cargo Carrying Capacity and higher torque. Downside was 2 to 3 seconds slower 0-60 and 2 to 2.5 lower mpg.  Fuel consumption is 14.5 to 17 mpg.

When the current emission standards came into effect in 2010, the power losses of over 30 HP were again a problem. To get back to the 5-cylinder performance, Mercedes introduced the V6 Blue Tec engine. It uses liquid urea (DEF) for the two catalytic  nitrogen oxides converters, plus high fuel rail pressure and pattern-programmable multi-jet injectors. Upside is 0-60 speed is back up and mpg is improved slightly. Downside is a 6 gallon DEF tank that reduced storage and was problematic to fill. A new option for a small DEF tank located in behind the right headlight solves the filling issue. Fuel consumption is 15 to 17.5 mpg.

From these data and the performance graph you should be able to judge what to expect with a Sprinter-based class C motor-home.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:58:02 pm by dickreid1 » Logged
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:54:06 am »

DickReid:

Thanks for your good summary of your time with the Sprinter.  I had a 2009 Spriner based V-6 under a Monaco product and I have to say I was never that lucky to gain MPG  figures as high as the EPA figures and the handling lft me wanting more.  While I appreciate the Sprinter chassis very much and in particular the 3.0L engine  I  will never leave my E-450 to go back to a Sprinter for my expectations and requirements of a chassis are just not met with he Sprinter, for many the chassis works and that is great.  Now, the new Ford coming out may tweak my interest alot.  Thanks
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
Model: 2350 Ford
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 10:55:50 pm »

Thanks for the insight on the Sprinter.  Was not aware that the gov set even tighter limits on diesels that apparently lowered the HP output of the engines. Well that just about kills the good fuel mileage attraction.  Also the upcharge for that drivetrain and the extra cost of the fuel, I don't see much advantage over the V10.  I have to make that drivetrain decision just a few months ago when I order my 2350, and guess I am not sorry I went with the V10.  Coming off of a rather fragile drivetrain in my Rialta (VW Eurovan), I was ready to get into something huskier with a bit power to spare.  Also, it seemed like with the VW, replacement parts were much more expensive and even finding service was a problem.  Lots of VW dealers didn't want to look at the Eurovan, especiallty since it had a house on its back. Tires was another problem. In Europe one could pick the up maybe on any street corner... but not here in the U.S. 

I have not heard what the new Ford chassis is all about. Maybe your talking about the larger van that is suppose to be here next year?

Thanks

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
LRS

Helpful Rating: 5
________
PurchDate: Nov. 2009
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: dk. camel leather
ExtColor: rust full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 07:56:11 pm »

Hi, Sprinter owners!   I, too, just love this  Sprinter PC.  The handling is superb, the ride is smooth, and it is really fun to drive...a real pleasure...
I was always reluctant to drive our previous 38 footer....but have gotten quite used to driving the Sprinter (2400).
As for mileage, it is much better than that old, bigger rv....I think it was around 15 or more last trip.  Have to look it up to be sure,
but it was much better than the 9mpg we used to get!
I am so glad to hear from other Sprinter owners for a change!   Smile
LRS  in Florida
JackD

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: May 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:29:58 pm »

Ok, here we go! I will give a complete mileage summary when I return from Atlantic Canada, but in summary, I have had 4 PCs ... 2006, 2350; 2010, 2552; 2011, 2400 sprinter, and now a 2012, 2350 sprinter.  To each his own, but I truly love the sprinter...the ride is much better rthan the Ford, and IMHO handles much better.  I have currently left roads FULL of potholes to Provincial Parks, mountain roads requiring down shifting (like a little sports car Smile - joke, joke - loading on & off ferries, etc., and am very impressed & happy - guess that's what makes the world go 'round!

On the mileage issue, in summary, the lowest was 14 mpg on trips to Elkhart in wind and at 70-75 mph, and my best, in the "hills" at 50-55 on the Trans Canada was 17.6. I've averaged over 17 the last 6 or 7 tanks, again not going over 55, but into campgrounds, towns, etc. tanks are filled & emptied as needed, fully loaded with clothes for 6 weeks, food, water & wine as needed!!!  I'm sure the mileage will cut back when I return & resume the higher speeds, however.
Current mileage is around 6500.

Just my input...love you guys & this board...

Jack
JackD

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 03:39:15 pm »

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I said I'd elaborate on the milage from a recent 6 week trip to the Canadian Maritimes & Newfoundland.  The rig is a 2012, 2350 with all the bells and whistles, no toad, fresh water tank filled as needed.  I won't completely describe every stop & fill, but here is a sketch:

Initial trip from Elkhart with STRONG winds & 70-75 MPH - 14.0, 13.6, & 15.6

From home (MD) to Maine - Interstate @ 65-70 mph - 14.0, 15.15.6, 16.5

Trans canada HWY mostly 7 campground- 50-55 mph - 17.9, 17.8

Hwy 1 & 2 - Cabot Trail, HILLS (required down shift) towns & camp - 50-55 mph - 16.6, 15.9, 17.4

Hwy more level, still 50-55 mph - 17.2, 16.6, 17.8, 16.6, 17.9, 17.6, 17.3, 17.2

Hwy - hills, 55-60 - 16.6

Hwy - 55 mostly - 17.5, 16.7, 18.2, 17.5

States - Rt. 1 & towns - 55-60 - 16.4 & 17.1

Interstate to home @ 65 - 16.1

Hope this helps -

Jack
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 07:51:34 pm »

Good for you, Jackie.
But the best news is you had a good trip, nothing went wrong (even if the Horse did get out) and you got home safely.
Looking forward to seeing you & Linda again before the snow sets in (OUCH !!!!!).

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 02:30:09 pm »

We have the 2011 - 2350 Sprinter (6700+ miles on her).... we are in Florida.  Our first fuel up averaged
12-1/2 MPG, but I was driving and I tend to be a led foot and we were in a lot of stop and go traffice at some points ... not a lot of highway.

Second fill up with my conserative husband at the wheel on mostly turnpike and highway driving .... we just filled the tanks this morning and got 13 -1/2 MPG... that is with the a/c blowing full blast becuase it is hotter then the devil here and he was doing speeds of 70 MPH and less when he could get away with going slower !!

It does not seem like we are getting as good of fuel milage as most of you are reporting .... it there a possibility that we could need some sort of adjustment ... or is there such a thing ?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:43:52 pm by Carolp495 » Logged

Vince & Carol Power
JackD

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 02:19:51 pm »

Carol...

It should definitely get better!!! My first tanks were around 14 as noted.  Also, the 16-18 numbers were, for the most part at 50-55 mph.  My experience has been that speed is the major factor rather than terrain, etc.  At 70 plus, I was also around the 15 range, and would imagine it close to that now that my rig is "broken in" somewhat.
Also, I have had alignment & keep the tires up...

Anyway, you should see improvement.

Best,
Jack
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 03:49:46 pm »

Jack:

It is reassuring knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel  .... especially since the cheapest diesel we found yesterday was $4.03 and up to $4.26 per gallon and when you compare to 44 cents less a gallon for regular fuel ... well, we were not feeling to awfully well yesterday when we checked the milage again.

Good to know it will get better.

Thank You,
Vince & Carol

Vince & Carol Power
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 11:22:30 am »

CarolP:

I hope your MPG go up considerably for I do not see the cost of diesel going down anytime soon!  Being the owner of two diesel powered Jeeps (one of which is the 3.0L M-B) I feel your pump pain.  I had a  2009 Dodge Sprinter 3.0L undr a Monaco Covina and no matter what I did for the 10,000 miles I owned it I never broke 15 MPG and actually the first few tank fulls were my best MPG tanks!  That was always with a full H2O tank, AC on, and doing 65MPH.  I am just not sure how some owers are getting into that 18MPG range and what I was doing wrong?  I truly hope with the PC you see your MPG's go up significantly and I for one would like to hear how you make out.  Thanks
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: