Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Headliner sag  (Read 530 times)
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:18:49 pm »

Had about a 2'X2' sag in my new 3100 headliner right by the entry door, it was not sagging enough to see with the eye but you could  feel it and I did not want it to spread.  I called Kermit and he gave me some good advise..... merely make a very small cut with a very sharp razor in a couple of places and spray some glue in.  I selected 3M #08o74 med. trim adhesive.  Be careful in that 3M has many different kinds of adhesives and some do not work on say foam backed headliner.  My 2012  still has the fleece style headliner and not the new model vinyl/foam so the 08074 appeared to be he right product.  I utilized a spray head that I could attach a spray tube to and that allowed me to really get in thru the very, very small incisions I made.  I let the glue set for a few seconds and then just pressed the material up and it is perfect  and not a single trace as to where the incisions were made, more importantly no more sag.   thanks
RichardP

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: June 2012
ModelYear: 2013
ExtColor: Dusk
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:26:47 pm »

Thanks for this!  Our 3100 is the 2013 from the Louisville rally.  My wife found some sagging areas just inside the overhead storage above the eating area.  I'll have to figure out what glue to use and attempt your method.

Richard
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 07:40:00 am »

Thanks for sharing ragoodsp.  I gave you a "Helpful".  It's nice to have this data available on the forum.

I am sure that one day I will eventually need to refer back to this post.  My old rig had the same thing happen.  Once it started, it all came down within a year looking like bed curtians.  Key is catching it early before it takes off.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:42:00 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:06:20 pm »

Although I haven't looked lately, I don't think I have any problems with my 2006 2551.  It bothers me to hear of the problem in brand new units, as it usually occurs in older installations when the thin plastic foam backing starts to fall apart from oxidation and heat exposure.  In those cases you usually cannot make them look OK by just gluing them down, as you have grainy lumps showing through. This is the one drawback to buying direct from the factory rather than a local dealer. If this happened to your car, YOU wouldn't be slitting, spraying, and gluing - the dealer would.  However, the price advantage of right from the factory built to order probably makes up for it.

Jerry
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:42:59 pm »

BigBad:

I agree with you 100% that a new coach should not have this issue but it is what it is.  What is nice is there is no backing on the fleece material and it glues directly to Luan plywood so I do not see any of the break down that you do see in older autos etc that have a foam back covering.  Kermit stated that it was most likely due to a light mist of glue or the spot was missed completely.  To be honest, doing the work myself does not bother me in that I  know how the job is done and I will have no one but myself to blame.  Having Kermit as a resourse is handy, he has helped me out a few times now.  Compared to other brands I would have to say that my two new PC's have had very,very short punch lists and I have been able to address everything myself.   Thanks
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:13:22 pm by ragoodsp » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: