Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Natchez Trace info  (Read 850 times)
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:28:46 pm »

Any Fellow Travelers who have knowledge of interesting visitable spots along Natchez Trace, please give a shout, ping a pong, supply same, etc.  On way to/from son unit visit we are thinking of cruising a bit or more of the Trace.  Linda wishes to visit Vicksburg & I thought of Natchez Trace trek.  Linda enjoys Civil War looksees, so any other ideas for visitation hours welcome. 
kevin
aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 61
________
Model: 2100
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 08:12:49 pm »

Grab me photos at any Civil War Look-Sees if you get a chance!!

Aimee, Webmistress
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:20:47 pm »

If you all like civil war battle sites, you'll love Vicksburg.It is second only to Gettysburg in the number of monuments in the park.  Virtually all militias from all the states involved have impressive monuments.  There is a nice drive throughout the park.  There is also the ruins of a river gunboat, the Cairo, that has been lifted out and preserved under roof.  The Natchez Trace, which does not go through Vicksburg but is near by, is worth seeing from the northern end near Nashville to the southern terminus in Natchez.  There are well marked things to see all along the Trace.  Just north of Natchez are two of my favorites, Emerald Mound, the second largest pre-Columbian monument, and Mount Locust, a wayside inn on the old Trace.  There are many things to see and a couple of campgrounds on the Trace plus several others near by.  There is a great visitor's center around Tupelo that sometimes has handicraft or music demonstrations.  Also in Tupelo is the birthplace of Elvis.  The speed limit is lower than other roads, but it is soooo beautiful and relaxing, so you won't feel a need to hurry.  One other town you might want to stop at on the Trace is Port Gibson, MS, which was alledgedly "too pretty to burn" according to Sherman.  It has a number of gorgeous older churches, but my favorite is one with a very tall steeple topped with a giant hand pointing upward.
Hope you enjoy your trip.

Jerry
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 12:13:40 pm »

Grin Smile Wink
thanks Jerry & aimee, good idea about the mound - reminds me of college & learning the careful use of trowels & paint brush only to watch movie of bulldozer taking top off a mound near the Grand River driven by the prof rolling on the floor rolling on the floor
his comment was typical - do as i say, not as i do.... shrug
yes aimee, pics at lookcccc
kevin
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:15:25 pm by kevin » Logged
JackD

Helpful Rating: 24
________
PurchDate: May 2012
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 10:30:15 am »

Kevin...

We took 3 weeks to "do" the trace 2 years ago ... I would only suggest take your time! Sights are available throughout, and national parks (free to modest $) are available as well. You'll enjoy it all, and great restaurants on the waterfront in Vicksburg!

Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: