Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2350 or ? What did you choose and why?  (Read 4117 times)
njheart on the road

Helpful Rating: 7
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 1/2014
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: No
IntColor: Sunlit leather w/Maple cabinets
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
________

"Wherever you are, be all there..." Jim Elliot

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 06:02:22 am »

Gradygal:  Your point is well taken about the ladder's need.  I know PC wouldn't be putting it on these fine vehicles if there wasn't a need now and again.  That jumping frog of Calaveras County that you had in the AC, well now, I could avoid him perhaps by avoiding Florida and opting for the less jumpy snakes, lizards, and turtles in Arizona.  But those hatch covers over the fans -- the only problem I have ever had with them is forgetting to close them all the way before starting up.  Now, it's one of the things we always check before pulling out.  I can see having trouble with them in a sudden high wind in a campground -- What caused yours to fly open, any idea? 

Even so, on my Pleasure-Way if it had happened, I still would not, could not have crawled up there and done anything about it - no ladder on the PW and the heights are not for me.  My emphasis is going to have to be on prevention and calling for help, I guess.  But I appreciate the forewarning about going ladderless -- it will make me think a little more up front.  Kind of like the roof on my house: I have to have a handyman come and empty the gutters of leaves and saw the tree limbs growing into it -- I have to take care of the chores on the ground.  Thanks for the education!

~marilyn
"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God." Jim Elliot
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 175
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 06:49:51 am »

The ladder sure has it's pros & cons.  We have been very lucky so far travelling without a ladder.  If something comes apart up-top, we are dependant on a place that will loan us a ladder.

As njheart noted, it will be "Very" nice to have an entry light switch to control a couple of interior lights just like in a regular house.  Having their own on-fixture switch would be nice to choose which comes on.  As do many older rig owners, we enter in the dark and fumble around a bit feeling for a light switch.

I want to mention again how much I wished we special ordered a second porch light under the awning, located to the rear.  Having light from two different directions eliminates many shadow problems.  If it's too much light, then install lower wattage bulbs.

A 2nd porch light switch would be great for additional porch lights to the rear and driver side for full camp-site illumination which will be great when backing into a camp site in the dark to avoid trees and such.  And with dogs, the lighting may also be useful when taking them out at night.

Our 2350 has a cheapy exhaust fan in the bathroom which for the size of the bath is surprisingly effective.  But for a 2552, having a Fantastic fan in the bath and a second one up front makes a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:54:16 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 08:02:35 am »

Marilyn, remember that if you have a problem on the roof in a campground, there will be someone around that would be willing to climb up your ladder to help you out if you give a big smile. On ladder means no help. One time I was driving to Myrtle Beach for the Christmas break and to get away from the snow and ice around here. I was on a two lane road with a car coming at me when I spotted at pine tree branch hanging low over my lane because it was full of ice. Well we hit it and it with a loud bang. When I was able to pull over, several miles later, I inched up my ladder and looked around. I too dislike heights and only get on my roof when really needed. I found that the branch had knocked off the cover of the satellite dish, leaving the rest of the dish exposed. When I got to the campground, I was able to tape a plastic bag over the dish until I could get a replacement cover shipped in.

When you go to pick up your new baby, besides the check, you will need to bring with you a couple of things. The first being towel bars and a toilet paper holder. They will mount these where ever you want them. You will see a lot of options on here as to where folks have mounted theirs. On our 2350 we had the towel bars mounted in the shower and the toilet paper holder across from the toilet. On the 2552 we had the towel bars mounted to the back of the sliding door. I mounted a Bears head toilet paper holder on the back of the wardrobe door using command hook and loop tape. In the heat this year the tape came unglued and the bears head fell and broke. I then mounted a holder that matched the towel bars on the back of the sliding door. If you have them mount one towel bar near the top of the door and the other below where the top towel will end, as far left on the door as possible, there will be room for the toilet paper holder on the far right side about three feet up from the floor. I sit down on the toilet and close the door and the paper is now right in front of me. This spot is working for us.

Another thing you might want to bring is vent covers for you Fantastic fans. When we are not running the A/C, we like to leave the vents open with the fan on whenever we leave the dog in the camper. With the cover we don't have to worry about rain. Also during the summer I always leave the vent cracked open to allow some of the heat out. Fantastic has just come out with a cover that allows the Maxim amount of air flow, even better than the Maxxair II that I have. You can go to the Fantastic site and see a Utube of how well their cover works compared to the other ones. Again Phoenix Doug will install them for free.

I am sure there are other things that I am forgetting right now, so when I remember them I will post them. I am sure that others will post there delivery experiences.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 08:27:15 am »

Marilyn,
The reason that the hatch flew open was that the knob on the inside fell off and, as we remember, a pin (maybe) fell out so we had no way to secure it from the inside. George had to go up on the roof to push the hatch down and we worked together to get it secure before we got on our way.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 10:35:29 am »

I would second Tom's suggestion that you get covers on your vents/fan outlets on the roof.  First, you can then drive with the vents open and not worry about the wind buffeting them or rain coming in and if something goes wrong with the mechanism as it did on yours, it will not go flying up because of the bernoulli force of the wind going over it.  These covers only cost about $30 or so and are well worth having.  First thing I always have installed when I get a new motorhome.

Jerry
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 10:58:42 am »

JC is a little behind the times when it comes to the cost of the Fantastic vent covers. Camping World internet sale price is $50, normally $63 for the white ones. Here is the site for the vidieo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1fhkbl_1yQ&feature=plcp Like JC I have put vent covers on every motorhome I have owned.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 11:34:44 am »

I ran into a stack of those in my dealers accessories at the end of the year ('11) for $15 apiece.  Could not make up my mind and when I did, and went back to get two a week later nary a one left. 
LRS

Helpful Rating: 5
________
PurchDate: Nov. 2009
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: dk. camel leather
ExtColor: rust full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 03:39:40 pm »

We had a bigger rv once, with two slides and a standard poodle...Lots of room and no problems with
the slides.

Now I have a 2400 Sprinter with one slide and another (and bigger) standard poodle. (haha...he
just kept growing! )  So....when stopped for the night or a few days, the extra floor and maneuvering room from
the slide being out is welcome!  Smile    Just FYI.   I am confident you will choose wisely and enjoy it!
(Touring the insides of different PCs will help you decide.)
LRS
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 04:50:38 pm »

Tom is sort of right on my being out of touch on pricing of vent covers.  My wallet is out of touch with opening up to buy the slightly higher rate of flow premium covers from Camping World or PPL.  If you look at the WalMart (I do live in Arkansas) website, you will find Camco covers for standard 14" square vents for $19.  You will find them to have very high ratings from the people who purchased them.  Someone who asked if they would work with the powered vents got 3 responses, all positive from people who use them.  RV's are a lot like boats, cars, or any other hobby, you can go for top of the line bells and whistles or just buy whatever works at a good price.  Kind of like since the invention of quartz crystal watches, a Timex keeps just as accurate time as a Rolex.  Sure it doesn't last as long, but how many can you buy for the same price.

Jerry
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 04:56:40 pm »

I bought 2 vent covers from Wal-Mart and they work well with the dinky fans.
But, I'd not consider one for the Fantastic Fan. Just too restrictive.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 04:59:06 pm »

I looked at the Fantastic Fan Ultra Breeze covers on-line, and I am fairly impressed with how they out-perform the competition with air flow.  I also like that as with the Maxx brand, you don't add more holes in the roof to mount it.  Both brands mount to the fan housing.  The Ultra Breeze measures 10-1/4" high which may or may not work with my garage door opening.  I'll have to measure before shopping for a deal.

I like what I see in them.  I would surely get the outer screen as well.  I think the screen is optional, a must to help keep out a persistent squirl.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:01:45 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 05:03:16 pm »

I bought 2 vent covers from Wal-Mart and they work well with the dinky fans.
But, I'd not consider one for the Fantastic Fan. Just too restrictive.
I didn't know that Walmart sells something like that.  Was that an on-line purchase or a store purchase.  It would be nice to have one for the dinky bath fan.

Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 05:43:25 pm »

In-store, Ron. Just at $20.00 each in the small RV section near Auto Parts.

njheart on the road

Helpful Rating: 7
________
PurchDate: 1/2014
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit leather w/Maple cabinets
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
________

"Wherever you are, be all there..." Jim Elliot

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 06:02:46 pm »

So, then, for those of you who have opted to have the ladder, whether or not you plan to climb it yourself, how difficult is it each time you want to enter that back cabinet?  Is it much to "unhook" it and fold it up to gain entrance to that cabinet where I presume the electric cord is stored.  I don't know what else is back there, but assume that if there is much to doing this at all, it could get a bit "old" after a while, no?

Also, and this may be a dumb suggestion, but why couldn't that ladder be halved -- in other words, shortened to the half joint, the lower half removed, and then the upper half would still be accessible from a step ladder if necessary.  I imagine this would probably look funny, if it could be done, but then it wouldn't be in the way of the cabinet (assuming that it does take a little to "unhook" and fold the ladder for entry.)

The F-Fan covers look good, perhaps a bit higher than the Maxx Air ones, but as the you tube video demonstrates, they don't reduce the air flow at all.  That goes on the list.  Keep those thoughts coming; they are all appreciated!  I'm off to shop for towel bars and TP holder!
 Heart Shower

~marilyn
"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God." Jim Elliot
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 06:13:09 pm »

The ladder hinges about half-way so you can raise it out of the way for access to the rear storage bay.
I use Velcro strips to secure it close to the fixed part so I don't have to mess with it when getting at the hoses and electrical cord.
But if I need the ladder, it's usable.

Hint:
Drill 1/4" diameter holes in the bottoms of the plastic ladder hinge so the water drains.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print

Jump to: