Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gray water by-pass?  (Read 1998 times)
echo11

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4/18/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: No
IntColor: maple/ biege
ExtColor: umbre
________

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:16:25 pm »

I have not yet used the gray by-pass on the sani-con system.  I would like to give it a try on our next trip.  Our gray tank is very small on the PC2350- 23 gallons.  We usually dump the gray tank every other day.

Does this sound like the right way to set it up?  First the sani-con hose goes into the septic hookup and then the electric gray valve is opened and left in that position until you no longer want to leave the gray bypass set up.  Once the valve is opened, the blinking light on the switch tells you the valve is open.  Is it okay to have the valve switch blinking for days on end?  Will it burn out or otherwise harm the switch unit?  Since I have been unsure of this, we haven't used the gray by-pass.

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of using the gray by-pass?
Thanks- Roni
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:54:55 pm »

um, i'm not sure quite whqt the grey by-pass is.  methinks i am just lost in word definition land.  my grey and black tanks have what sounds like the same electric valves.  i thought these were the only valves which held the floods in abeyance.  (open my valves & stand back or wear two tone wingtips)  are these two valves what you call the by-pass?

if so, i don open my grey 'til the black has been opened, drained & then closed.  I use the grey water to flush the black out, leaving stinky hose squeaky clean (in my dreams)

I don't need any more dribbling tanks in my life (see billy's bad aim campfyre...)

I like to flush like a racehorse

kevin
echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:48:46 pm »

My understanding was that if the gray valve is left open (and the hose in the ground) the gray tank, once it hits a cetain level in the tank, will drain slowly on it's own (without the sani-con pump).

Maybe this isn't correct?
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:12:23 pm »

My understanding was that if the gray valve is left open (and the hose in the ground) the gray tank, once it hits a cetain level in the tank, will drain slowly on it's own (without the sani-con pump).

Maybe this isn't correct?

This is my experience also, there is a 1/2 inch tube that bypasses the sani-con  and the level in the gray tank needs to be high enough to force it's way through the bypass tube.  It works well for extended stays with sewer hook up.  You can see the bypass tube on the sani-con, it is a clear 1/2 inch tube.

2010  PC 2551
echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:34:14 pm »

Bobander,
Thanks for your response.  When the gray valve is electronically opened, will the blinking light on the valve switch keep blinking and will it harm the light or switch itself?
Thanks- Roni
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 08:34:45 pm »

me again, I reread your post & am now also in better understanding.  When I drain, I open a valve and wait - listening as the fluid rattles & chortles to the sanicon, maceration thingy.  Then, I turn on the grinder widget, letting it run until the hose does a dance of constriction - expansion. After I open the grey water and the water gets to the pumper, I have waited, as I am also curious on its workings, to listen for drainage sounds.  If it does get past the macerator, I haven't heard much sound - until I flip the switch, hose dances and fluid flows out hose end.  I peeked under the skirts
 shrug and I do have a sewer outlet for large size stinky slinky attachment for when pump use not desired (or working)

Maybe you could hook that up and then open black then gray valves as needed.  I don know, it just seems henky - to me - to leave valves open & allow the s l o w draining of the tanks.  I like those suckers to flush down and out - go away....far away.
kevin
Jan and Dick

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: 5/23/12
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 09:23:48 pm »

You could also equalize your grey and black tanks several times and then dump less often.  Read up on it in the san-con literatrue that came with your motor home.  I tried this twice at the Louisville Good Sam rally since my 2551 also has a 23 gallon grey tank.  We were dry camping with no way to dump and with two of us using the shower we filled up the grey tank in about one day.  It worked great.  When we got home I dumped both my tanks as usual.  Neither one was full.  We probably could have gone one more day dry camping.  I have not  used the motor home yet in an RV park with full hook up.  I understand you can continuously drain the grey tank but have no experience with it.

Dick
bobander
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »

Bobander,
Thanks for your response.  When the gray valve is electronically opened, will the blinking light on the valve switch keep blinking and will it harm the light or switch itself?
Thanks- Roni

Roni,
Yes, the light will continue to blink while the valve is left open, and it will not harm the light or switch.

2010  PC 2551
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 09:40:47 pm »

If you just let the gray water drain as you let water into it, you'll have nothing to flush the black tank and hose with.
If I stay at a CG for one night, I Use the Sani-Con. If more than that I use the 3" valved (the valve is convenient but not required) dump line.
But I still flush the 3" hose/Sani-Con & hose with gray water.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
bobander
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 09:54:59 pm »

If you just let the gray water drain as you let water into it, you'll have nothing to flush the black tank and hose with.

You are right, I will stop using the grey water bypass when I anticipate the need to dump the black water tank so that I have enough grey water to flush the system after dumping the black water tank.

2010  PC 2551
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 10:33:54 pm »

Good move. You'll be happy you did. ThumbsUp

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 06:11:33 am »

A few more questions on the bypass tube and the sani-con unit-

Have you actually used this option of the gray bypass and were you happy?  I do not want to use a regular sewer hose and the non electric hookup.  I do have a regular sewer hose in case of emergencies, but hope to never use it.  I like using the sani-con electronic valve system and would like to try the gray bypass option on longer stays.  I'd really like to hear from folks that use this often on trips.

It sounds like the gray water level needs to be high enough to get the water to pass through the bypass tube.  Do you know what the monitor will read at that point?

Also, if the level is high and the bypass tube slowly lets the gray water drain, will taking a shower cause it to overflow into the RV?  In other words, faster coming in and slower going out- will it cause  a problem?

Thanks- Roni

BrownCrew

________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: May/2011
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ExtColor: Rust Lower Body
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:02:15 am »

A few more questions on the bypass tube and the sani-con unit-

It sounds like the gray water level needs to be high enough to get the water to pass through the bypass tube.  Do you know what the monitor will read at that point?

Also, if the level is high and the bypass tube slowly lets the gray water drain, will taking a shower cause it to overflow into the RV?  In other words, faster coming in and slower going out- will it cause  a problem?

Thanks- Roni

I tried leaving the grey open ONCE, and the monitor read FULL ... I had the same concerns as you about it draining too slowly and I have chosen not to ever camp with the grey open.  I just pump out some grey during extended stays.

Not the answer you were looking for ... hopefully someone else has better experiences

BC
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:04:31 am by BrownCrew » Logged

Each day is a gift, and not a given right.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 08:12:02 am »

We too have a 2350 with the gray tank being the smaller 23 gallon one.  Given we almost exclusively dry camp, the gray tank always fills long before we run out of fresh water.  To buy time, (per Phoenix USA instruction) I flood the gray water into the black tank by first opening the gray tank valve, then the black tank valve, wait for the gurggling sounds to quiet down, then close the black valve, and finally the gray valve.  I usually do this once between every fresh water fill-up, so it is done very frequently during trips.  If getting very close to empty with the fresh water tank, sometimes I have to do it twice before dumping.  It is no big deal.  Only an inconvenience.

Given we don't do #2 in the bathroom, without fecal matter to be concerned about, I am tempted to keep both valves open all the time, but worry that if sewage ever did back up into the shower pan for any reason, it would be contaminated with urine.  It does seem a remote possibility which has me tempted.  Also, I think some rigs of other brand motor homes, have the shower pan dumping into the black tank.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:17:05 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 08:30:45 am »

I continue to be dazzled by the degree of thought that goes into using your RV by so many people. I just wait until I need to get rid of black or gray water and flip on my macerator pump in the proper sequence and send it to the drain.  I takes no more than 5 minutes to do this, 10 at the most, and I find it much nicer than dealing with the old 3" gravity flow hoses.  They are MESSY.

By the way, Ron, I always like your descriptions of waste management in your unit.  Other than some sort of innate distaste of bodily excretions, why would you worry about urine contamination of your shower.  Ever swim in a public pool?  Think those little kids hesitate about urinating in them?  Also, urine is essentially sterile until it picks up a few germs on the way out of the body.  Believe it or not, millions of strange people world wide drink their own urine thinking it will keep them healthy.  I'd worry more about some of the smelly, bad tasting fresh water that is available at many campgrounds as potable water.

Jerry
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: