Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: E-450 break-in using a ScanGauge  (Read 383 times)
dickreid1

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb. 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
________

All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:30:44 pm »

When we started this summers trip, the engine was basically new. Only enough miles to get it from Elkhart to Ft. Meyers to Palm Beach.  Also the ScanGauge needs an engine specific "calibration" to measure gas consumption.  Never having done this before for a gas engine, I also had to figure it out from scratch.

Early on the calibration started around 9 %.  Tank by tank I immediately found the the average mpg zeroing in on 9.4. However, the engines behavior steadily changed as indicated by the calibration value slowly getting lower. By mid June (4300 miles) the engine stabilized at a calibration of 1.3% as we toured in the cooler climes Door County, WI and around Lake Michigan.  

Once back into the hot weather (5500 miles) the engine changed slightly as the calibration climbed back up to around 2 %. By the time we reached 9000 miles the calibration stabilized around 3%.  

All this time there was no indication of anything changing because the average mpg never changed from 9.4.  Total miles now is around 10,000.  Hopefully the E-450 is now broken in and stable.
lghjr
SuperHero Member

________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:26:02 am »

For what it's worth I bought my PC E-450 with ~17K on it and sold at 31K and I really felt that the engine was only then achieving being properly broken in from smoothness and power perspective.  No proof, just a feeling that the mileage was also improving.
dickreid1

________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb. 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2012
________

All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:27:25 pm »

That is good to hear. I will keep looking for changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: