Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Parkways in New York  (Read 2064 times)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 308
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:43:43 am »

In planning our trip to Maine I was reading that New York does not allow RVs on certain Parkways.  I've looked at the New York State DOT site and have called them but am wondering if others have found this to be a real issue.  What do you do to avoid these roads?  Is New York the only state that we have to worry about?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
njheart on the road

Helpful Rating: 7
________
PurchDate: 1/2014
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: No
IntColor: Sunlit leather w/Maple cabinets
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
________

"Wherever you are, be all there..." Jim Elliot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 06:50:28 pm »

Living in NJ and traveling up to Maine, we did get routed onto the Sawmill River Parkway once by MapQuest -- long before we had our Garmin Nuvi that was the only way we had to plan our trips other than paper maps.  That was a harrowing experience driving a 27' motorhome -- we  missed the sign that said "cars only" as an 18 wheeler decided to burn past us on the right just as we passed the sign.  Beautiful arched stone bridges began appearing and the only way thru was dead center between both lanes.  Oh the gestures and horns I elicited from passing motorists as I would glide back right after each underpass.  Yes, there are parkways to stay off of in New York state!  I do not know what other roads there are limited to passenger cars only, but definitely avoid this one!  To get around it, we would always drive up Rt 287 in NJ to 87 and then cut over once we were far enough north.  I hate traffic, can you tell?

~marilyn
"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God." Jim Elliot
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:06:23 pm »

At least 2 others are good to avoid; the Taconic and, since I stopped watching the Submarine Races, the entire length of the Palisades Interstate (on which I saw an RV fail to make it under and overpass). As a matter of fact, I try very hard to avoid anything in NY within 50-75 miles of the city.

Also, having been raised in NJ, I avoid everything on it's eastern half.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:04:47 pm »

Thanks for the two replies - I gave you each a helpful.  I sure wish mapquest or other routing programs would allow for the avoidance of these parkways.

Sue

UPDATE 8:15 PM - I just logged into the Good Sam Club website (since I do have a membership) and I tried their routing program and it is actually "VERY NICE".  It did allow me to put in avoidances per state like parkways, tunnels, major bridges etc...   Very helpful indeed if you have a good sam membership.  Even will send the routing to your email so that it can be printed out. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:18:43 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:32:01 pm »

Indeed. Good Sam has gotten a lot better over the past 30+ years. Even to the point of supporting decent insurance at competitive rates.
AND, you get discounts at Camping world.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:44:36 pm »

I utilize Good Sam for my road service and extended warranty, as well as discounts on campgrounds and Camping World.  However, I have the same complaint about Good Sam that I did about AARP that eventually ended up in my letting my AARP membership lapse.  They both changed from a limited organization with limited goals and functions into sales megafirms trying to sell you every kind of merchandise in the world.  I am constantly getting crap from both of them trying to sell me all kinds of insurance packages. I am a USAA member and don't need this and get tired of throwing away 90% of my mail as soon as I take it out of the mailbox.  It reminds me of when I was a kid and J.C. Whitney, the car accessory people, went through bankruptcy with the printer of their frequently mailed catalogues as their major creditor. No wonder the USPS is going belly up with the sweetheart deals they give mailers of bulk garbage like thiis.

Jerry
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 171
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:40:31 am »

Jerry, I ended all the mail except the magazine from Good Sam by going into my profile on their web site and turning off just about every option of communications. I took about six months to stop getting all that junk mail. As for AARP I too dropped out but am still getting mail wanting me back. I wish I could stop that also. I keep thinking that my mother-in-law passed away in Dec 2009 and we still get junk mail addressed to her, even when we send letters to the companies telling them she died. Every now and then we get something for her from a new company we have never received anything from before. I guess once you are on a mailing list, and who isn't, you are on it for all eternity. shrug

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:21:12 am »

Jerry, I ended the garbage mail from Good Sam by telling them to take me off their mailing list.  The only thing I get now is the magazine.  Sure did stop alot of junk mail.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 18
________
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:54:25 am »

Parkways in New York and New England     pulling hair out

New England is filled with Parkways that are restricted to RVs.  GPS units will put folks on to such roads as the Wilbur Cross/Merrit Pkwys in CT. (Rt 15) The WC connects to the Hutchinson Pkwy.in NY.

Folks traveling in and around the Boston area and suburbs should be aware of the Parkway system as well.
Both, Memorial Drive and Storrow Drive run along the Charles River in the Boston/ Cambridge  area ,and do attract tourists. The roads pass by Harvard, MIT and Bostons Museum of Science.

GPS units have been known to put oversized vehicle on these roads.
If you are planning a trip to the New England area you can check the links here for road restrictions.
Here in Mass. We are loaded with them.  Would be nice if the States Tourist Info would post Motorhome safe roadways. 

BGolden

http://www.merrittparkway.org/pages/st_ct_drive_reg.asp
http://www.nycroads.com/roads/wilbur-cross/
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Main.aspx
https://www.google.com/search?q=storrow+drive&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=k3s3UMzIFZGx0AHd0IDwDg&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=614

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/driveUpdates.htm

Bill and Karen Golden
Geojude

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 09/2011
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 05:32:33 pm »

The AllStays Camp & RV app for iPad and iPhone shows low clearances on lots of routes.  I looked at NY and decided that I won't be going anywhere near there  Smile
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 05:59:20 pm »

Bill and Karen

Thanks for the links.  A helpful from me!!

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 08:20:45 pm »

We bought a Rand McNally Trip Maker RVND7710 GPS ..... you load the size of your RV in it and it will tell you the roads to avoid.

It actually shows a picture of the exit sign and an arrow to show what lane to be and where to turn, along with verbal navigation .... and .... you can get updates by plugging it in to your computer ... so you are always up to date on the latest of everything going on ... on the roadways at no charge for I think the first year at least maybe longer.

It has been fantastic ..... it also has guided tours for towns you are visiting, points of interest, scenic routes gas stops, restuarants etc ... that will accomidate your RV size.

Vince & Carol Power
BGolden

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 10:11:35 am »

Hi CarolP

I purchased the Rand McNally RND7710 back in April and used it on our 3 week trip to Ontario and Michigan. It is a Motor Home friendly GPS.
I liked the note feature to keep track of mileage, fuel purchases, and campground info.

Connecting to the dock kept road construction updated along the trip.

I did add more Canadian POIs from POI factory. It worked great.

Bill

http://www.poi-factory.com/

Bill and Karen Golden
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 04:45:28 pm »

Hi Bill:

Wow we actually did not know about the "note" feature to track milage, fuel etc.  I would have to say the only thing I don't like about our new PC is that we have .... I guess the basic sprinter and it does not show miles to empty, does not have trip milage ... she is the stripped down version ... and ... I guess I am spoiled from our last camper and from our van that has all those neat features ..... going to have to check out the GPS  and explore the extra features we knew nothing about   Embarrassed   .... We did use the campground feature which was a help .... My husband is the gadget guy/navigator and I like driving ... so going to have him check it out ... Thanks.

Carol & Vince

Vince & Carol Power
BGolden

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 05:04:04 pm »

Carol

you'll find the note feature in the RND7710 under the maintenance area.

But do tell Vince to look into a Scangauge, greatest tool for your PC.

http://www.scangauge.com/

If you do a search here in the Forum you'll see that many PC owners use this neat gadget. I Love Gadgets

Bill Golden    Grin

Bill and Karen Golden
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: