Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: battery for new PC  (Read 1870 times)
rockrat

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April, 2010
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: umbra
________

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:59:58 pm »

can any one tell me when you pick up a new Phoenix cruiser, do they provide you a nice deep cycle 12 volts battery or is it just a run of the mill brand battery. And is the tire, a quality brand as well. I would rather pay a little extra to have it upgrade than to be stranded in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.

2010 2350 with slideout
NC Sailors

Helpful Rating: 19
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 08:05:16 am »

The coach batteries that came with our Sprinter-based 2350 are: Exide, Nautilus Dual Purpose NC-27, manufactured July 2009; MCA 730, CCA 575, RC 160, AMP/HR 100. These batteries are both deep cycle and starting according to the Exide web site.

The tires are Korean: Kumho, Road Venture AT KL78 008 LT 215/85 R16, DOT H2OP YD4A 4007. This is a brand name that the chassis manufacturer specified.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~ ~ ~
captgw2
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:11:41 am »

Is your new 2350 a Sprinter or Ford chassis? That will depend on the name of tire...my Ford chassis(as the rest of the Ford fleet) comes with Michelin LTX's..a superior ride and durability.

My 2350 came standard with 2 Group 27 Deep Cycle batteries. Depending on your needs, you could get an upgrade to 2 6 volt golf cart batteries. Mine are from Interstate. In the rare event of a failure, Interstate dealers are almost EVERYWHERE. You'd have to ask the factory what the additional cost would be. It nearly doubles your ampere hours for dry camping. I dry camp ALOT so I also ordered a solar charger to keep 'em topped off. But if you dont dry camp, it probably isnt worth the extra $$...
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 01:15:32 pm »

You might want to consider upgrading to an AGM battery. The benefits are that it takes a deeper discharge, there is no liquid to contend with and as a result there is no corrosion from the acid spilling.

Many battery manufacturers produce them--DEKA, Interstate and more.

If you have a West Marine near you, you can check them out.

George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
NC Sailors

Helpful Rating: 19
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 07:45:58 pm »

Caution! When switching battery types; e.g., flooded cell to absorbed glasss mat (AGM), make sure you can adjust the charging profile of the charger to match the battery chemistry. Else your new batteries won't last long. AGMs have particular requirements. AMGs work well in any orientation in the gravitational field as in a boat that heels or overturns. This is not a usual requirement in an RV....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~ ~ ~
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:08:57 pm »

...you could get an upgrade to 2 6 volt golf cart batteries........It nearly doubles your ampere hours for dry camping.
I wondered about the advantages of having 6 volt batteries.  Do they really double your amp hours?  If so, that would help me a lot as I too dry camp most often.  I do wonder if the charge time doubles.

Right now my two original 2007 12V Nautilus batteries are on my work bench getting a steady 2-amp charge for weeks and weeks.  They can't seem to get fully charged.  I am also surprised the acid inside fizzes so much with so little amperage.

I admit, I am quite ignorant on this subject matter.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
captgw2
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:41:40 pm »

I chose the 2 6v batteries(which are wired in series) because the load at a 15 amps is about 28 hours to wipe out the coach batteries as compared to the standard 2 Group 27's that are about 11 hours. Of course, temperature and battery age can change performance. The 6v are more expenisive also, but I've seen them as low as $110 each. It is my understanding that any deep cycle battery REALLY shouldn't be discharged more than 50%(12.2v). (That figure doesn't count if a load is being applied)

On the other side of the coin, what you take OUT of the battery needs to go back in. I think the Ford chassis has a 130 amp alternator and the house charger is about 60 amp. I read somewhere in another forum that it is actually a "break even" on fuel consumption charging with the V10 at high idle vs the genset/house charger. The V10 uses more fuel but the amps get dumped in the batteries MUCH quicker. Depends whether you need the genset for other things...

Ron, have you load tested those Exides to see how that stand up? You can take them to any Advance Auto and they will check 'em for you. If they need replacement, its best to stick with real deep cycles made by Exide, Interstate, Trojan, etc.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:44:35 pm by captgw2 » Logged
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 03:38:22 pm »

For this year in 2010, we will not be taking any extended trips as my wife is schooling through this entire year.  We will be taking the PC out for short trips, most often with shore power.  My point here is, we won't need good battery reserves until next year 2011.  A year from now, I will be getting close to shopping for replacements.

Interesting point about idling the V10 instead of waiting for the invertor/generator in combination to recover the batteries.

For a good recharge, I'll run the generator, but use a 4/10/20/40 amp Black & Decker "Smart" charger I plug into the outside outlet, and aligator clip it to the battery terminals.  I can get the batteries back to a decent level in about an hour or two, pending how low they were to begin with.

There is nothing like an over-night charge with that B&D Charger from shore power.  It gets much better results over-night than the invertor alone.  But shore power is a rare luxury where we go.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: