Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A 4 Wheel Drive PC?  (Read 1007 times)
DownBy TheRiver

Helpful Rating: -3
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Hopefully soon
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2910D is my favorite model
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk
________

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2010, 03:29:06 pm »

Hi All

I took the liberty of starting a new thread regarding 4 wheel drive issues, in response to an Introduce Yourself posting from titsikama, who is interested in a PC2350 on the Ford Chassis:

http://phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php?topic=4.45

(reply #47)

Hi Titsi Im still a wannabe, yet you pose a question Ive often asked myself.  Outside of RV wannabe status, I will have a Phoenix Cruiser when the time comes.

Im in the Chicago area, and Id say whenever I saw a 4 wheel drive conversion product around here, particularly on a Ford, its been a Quigley conversion.  Im guessing youre somewhere out West, as you mention camping frequently on BLM holdings, yet even when vacationing in Nevada, as well as in Lake Tahoe, I also have noticed that most conversions there, whether ambulances or mini-busses, have been Quigley conversions as well.  Here is the link:

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Home/tabid/37/Default.aspx

Quigley has the unique attribute of being tied in with the factory you (or your motorhome builder) can theoretically order one of their conversions through a regular Ford dealer or supply channel and their conversions will not void the regular Ford warranty on the FACTORY-SUPPLIED and assembled chassis components.  Alternatively, they have their own warranties on chassis components they supply, yet whenever possible, those components not provided by the factory are in fact, usually Ford components anyway, allowing for easier servicing of the chassis overall.

A typical Quigley conversion costs approximately $12,000 over the provided chassis.  While not specifically addressed, the question of whether or not a particular RV can be modified can probably be best answered by Quigley, yet based upon my reading of their literature, I dont see any disclaimers to the contrary.

One thing to consider is whether or not the standard Ford Chassis for the PC2350 (the E-350) is capable of handling the additional weight such a conversion adds.  You may find that the best practice would be to upgrade the chassis to the E-450 chassis, which adds approximately $1,500.

As for the choice of diesel over gas, its a philosophical/emotional decision.  The power output differential between the V10 gas motor and the V8 diesel are negligible, yet you might find diesel more attractive based upon fuel availability in the areas in which you live or travel, or what you may be used to in your existing camping chassis.  For myself, the differential between gas and diesel fuel prices are high enough, that even when considering an additional 2 MPG difference, I figure the cost trade-off is again, negligible or even negative over the life of the coach.  Going with the Ford diesel chassis adds another price premium, approximately $10,000 or less over the gas chassis.

So, over standard pricing points, the 4-wheel drive premium is $12,000 - $13,500, and adding diesel is an additional $10,000 or so.  As the generator is supplied by chassis fuel, also consider whats possible in terms of optioning/additional costs/lost opportunity cost on the generator is also a consideration.  I dont know if PC can provide a diesel generator for you, or whether or not youd have to settle for a propane generator instead.  Whether positive or negative, there is a price differential in that regard as well.

If all of the above is appealing to you, consider also that such a 4 wheel drive conversion will likely place associated transfer case shift levers and controls on the floor directly behind the motor doghouse, and directly between the two front seats.  Depending on how the conversion is done, such shift levers and controls in this area will likely present issues on ease of entering the coach area from the front seats, and/or prohibit the use of swivel seating in this area.
titsikama

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:21:55 pm »

Hi Downbytheriver,

Thank you for the information, I have been looking into the Quigley conversion, though I haven't discussed it in person with them. Your idea of the limited shift is intriguing, but I just don't think I can give up the freedom of traveling the back roads in a 4WD-We have gotten our F250 and Lance camper into some pretty amazing locations. Ground clearance would be another consideration. PC indicated they could order the conversion in advance so I should probably continue discussions with them. Do you post on MounatainBuzz? Name looks familiar!
DownBy TheRiver

Helpful Rating: -3
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Hopefully soon
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2910D is my favorite model
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 05:46:23 pm »

Nope - someone else.

I'd go with discussions on a Quigley with Kermit or Stuart - after all, they know what's possible with their coaches inside and out.  Let them do the legwork.

Don't know what the total specs with your current rig are, but be aware that what you're contemplating is somewhere in the 10,000# range total.

As you've mentioned "pretty amazing locations", you must be serious!  LOL!

As such, I'd bring up approach/departure angles with you.  Approach angles might be similar or better than your current rig, although I'm sure departure angles will be much less (worse).  Quigley upgrades you to 17" tires, so there's an additional .5" of ground clearance right there, though don't know what the upgraded suspension provides in addition to that.

Probably, the most critical point will be your breakover angle.  With your previous post, you mention the "youngns" and whether or not their in-motion views from the couch are sufficient, so I'd have to guess that you have either a club or crew cab, and might most likely have a long bed - thus, a substantially long wheelbase F-250.

That being the case, compare your current wheelbase to that of the PC2350 in regards to expected break-over angles.  As I don't yet have a PC, one thing that stands out in all the photos I've seen is the exhaust pipe on the generators, which is located just behind the driver's door, which appears to jut out fairly far to the left side, and low.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: