Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mattress bottom protected  (Read 2473 times)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 295
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2012, 03:27:58 pm »

I finally found something that fully protects the bottom of the mattress from any more stray wood slivers.  We had polyurethaned the wood boards but there were still a few stray slivers.  I was at the Five and Below store and found yoga mats for $5.  They fit perfectly on the shorter bed of the 2551 (login to see pics) and are just a little short for the longer bed.  The mattress pad protects the edges and the yoga mat protects the rest.  They also prevent any sliding of the mattress on the wood boards.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Anne and Bob

Helpful Rating: 9
________
PurchDate: May 21, 2012
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:29:50 pm »

What a good find.  Especially to keep the mattress from sliding, forgetting about the slivers.  sounds like a new  teasy  project.

Thanks, Anne  ThankYou
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:44:44 am »

But we always slide the mattress forward when making the bed to tuck the back corners in. Can you still do this?
I have put two coats of Polyurethane and the edge guards on the boards per your earlier posting. So far we have stopped all the splitters.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:47:29 am »

Tom,

I too tuck the back corners in and have no problem doing this with the yoga mats in place but I have always lifted the mattress ever so slightly so as not to drag it along the wooden board.  I guess just different ways of doing it.  And yes, the polyurethane stopped 99% of the splitters but I still did not like that stray one every now and then.  Maybe I'm just being overprotective!!!

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
Model: 2350 Sprinter
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 05:35:55 pm »

We actually just took out 2350 out for its first camping trip.  I had a small problem which has now been solved ... but where the mattress  angles at the foot ... well my leg spent the night falling off the mattress  Embarrassed and I did not get much sleep .. while Vince was sleeping like a baby next to me  Cry. When we got back he suggested flipping the mattress so that the cut off edge of the mattress was in the lower corner on his side and then he proceded to make a foam wedge to fit the gap ... that works perfectly .. but .. we spent a very long time picking splinters from the mattress. It seems very rough on  the mattress to be on the partical board. We will try the Yoga mat to protect the perfect side of the mattress that is now face down on the wood.
Has anyone replaced their mattress before ... and is it a special size for RV's ??

Vince & Carol Power
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 05:58:12 pm »

The mattresses are a special size for the RV.  When we had the 2008 2350 I was going to replace the mattress because it got very uncomfortable.  There were a couple of places in Florida that I looked into.  One was in Fort Lauderdale.  This was the company I was looking into to  http://www.comfortcustombedding.com/.   Barry sold the RV before we had it replaced so my problem was solved.

If you do a search online you'll find other companies in FL. 

For us the polyurethane took care of 99% of the wood splinters so that is another way to prevent the problem.

If you call PC they could also advise you on where to get another mattress or they may even sell you one.  If they are going to an RV show in your area you might even ask them to bring it down with them.

A word of warning on turning the mattress over.  When we got our 2551 we asked Carol if they could be turned and she said no.  The twin ones are made with two types of foam - a more firmer foam on the bottom and then a sleeping foam on top.  She told us the label should always be on the top side.  I do not know if this is true for all mattress sizes and I also know that it was not true for model year 2008.  I do not know when they changed.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
echo11

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 4/18/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: No
IntColor: maple/ biege
ExtColor: umbre
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »

Under the mattress, we used a thin indoor outdoor carpet from Home Depot.  We have a 2350 which has a split platform under the mattress.  We cut 2 pieces and used 2 sided tape.  This has helped with preventing splinters attacking the mattress and  also movement.
Roni
Syd and Margo

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: 9/11
Model: 3100
IntColor: Sunlit
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:06:29 am »

Great idea.  We will have to do that.  We are out of our New Jersey home and homeless on the road to Florida.  See you at Franklin Locks.
Syd & Margo
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:12:03 am »

Syd and Margo

Safe travels and see you in Jan.

Barry and Sue

Barry and Sue 
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 11:37:29 am »

When we got our 2552 with the twin beds I slept two nights on it before heading to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get a two inch memory form mattress topper. I sleep on my side and my hip was hurting in the morning. i tried that for several nights and it was some what better but still not that good for me. On our last trip I flipped the whole setup over, now the pad is on the bottom and the mattress is upside down. I slept like a baby for the rest of the trip, except for the old man bathroom breaks. Now I don't know which side has the label on it, but I don't care because this works for me.  nod If anyone knows how to stop the old man bathroom breaks at night, please let me know. LOL

Tom Hanlon
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »

After 6 weeks in our new 2910, we felt that the mattresses were better than our 2551 but still not good enough. George was complaining that his was hard.  Last week, we went out and bought a King memory foam mattress topper and cut it in half for the twin beds. Now we find out that we may be sleeping on the wrong side! Possibly didn't need the topper. George is over at the storage yard now and is going to check. Oh well, and life goes on. We should have a much better night's sleep now!

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 02:39:04 pm »

OK I went out to the motorhome and tore both beds apart looking for the tag. I am glad to report that both of us are sleeping on the correct side of the mattress. The tag is on the end side at the top. So now you will not have to send the mattress police after me.  rolling on the floor

Tom Hanlon
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
Model: 2350 Sprinter
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 02:54:04 pm »

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

We have the the memory foam pad on top of the existing mattress. I was worried about the tag being up or down as you had mentioned Sue, but Vince said with us having the memory foam on top that it should not be a problem for comfort  ..... my big concern is the rough board and tearing up the mattress.

Did you have a problem with fumes from the polyurethene  after ???

Thank you for the web sites for new mattresses ..... with the memory foam we are good "for now" and it is comfortable, but when you take it off ... ouch, that mattress is like laying on a board !

I have to put the elastic cords like garders holding the sheets in place as the memory foam slips and is a little annoying.

Good luck on the middle of the night man bathroom breaks ... let me know when you have that one figured out  ThumbsUp !!!!

Also .... for everyone who comes to Florida ... does anyone have a group where you meet or do weekend trips ?????

I  would love to do a get together with a group of PC owners

Vince & Carol Power
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 03:31:42 pm »

A few of us will be at Franklin Locks, Corps of Engineers Park during the 1st week of January. We will be there Jan 2-5. Barry and Sue will be there longer. Syd and Margo will be there as well. Last I looked, all the sites were taken but there may be cancellations as we get closer. If you are interested, just keep checking ReserveAmerica and you might find an open site. Last year, Syd and Margo got one at the last minute.

If you are ever close to Punta Gorda, let us know.

Oh yeah, we are sleeping on the correct side of the mattress.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 03:35:52 pm »

Carol,

After we polyurethaned we just let it air out and never had an issue with the fumes.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: