Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new Xantrex Pro Inverter - how does it work?  (Read 772 times)
Ambassador

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: October 2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: beige/mahogany
ExtColor: sunlit lower body
________

Phoenix Owners' Group Member at Large

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:12:33 pm »

On a wish list for new owners is an Owners manual that explains what everything does. Thanks to Amanda at PhoenixCrusierUSA, we now have a starter manual but there is a lot missing.

One of the things a lot of us are confused about is the use of the Inverter.  Can someone tell us in lay terms just what can be used or not used when the inverter is on.    Help
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
Model: 2350 Ford
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 04:30:22 pm »

I'll try.... I'll try and answer your questions since I am in electronics..

First of all, the inverter is connected only to some of the AC receptacles in your coach... not all of them (at least this is the way my 2012 2350 is wired.

The inverter can be turned ON or OFF using the push button switch behind the drivers seat.

When on shore AC power, the inverter is not being used and can be shut OFF.

When not on shore AC power, with the inverter turned on, it will provide you with about 1800 watts of power... That is enuf to run a toaster OR, (not AND) coffee maker.

(Remember 1800 watts is a lot of power drain from your house batteries with these types of appliances. So if dry camping, keep that in mind. If your just going to drive the motor home again once your coffee is brewed and toast toasted, then not to be concerned about battery drain.)

Hope this helps...

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
GregC

Helpful Rating: 4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: June 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Green
ExtColor: Green
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 04:56:31 pm »

You should also be able to run any TV's and DVD players while the inverter is on and your are not plugged into AC.  That is the way ours is wired since none of those items are 12 volt.  You should probably check any manuals you have on the appliances (TV, DVD, coffee maker, etc) to see how many amps they draw and record that information somewhere.  Then you will know which appliances you can have on and operating with power supplied by the inverter.  Your house battery capacity will determine how many and how long you can operate any AC electrical appliances before they will need to be recharged.  Also keep in mind that the TV's, DVD players etc. always have some current draw while they are plugged in even though you may not be watching them.  That will draw down your batteries while using the inverter as well.  I always keep the TV's and DVD player unplugged until I use them.  Hope that helps some.

Greg & Juliana
Southeast Missouri
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 05:36:36 pm »

Also keep in mind that the TV's, DVD players etc. always have some current draw while they are plugged in even though you may not be watching them.  That will draw down your batteries while using the inverter as well.  I always keep the TV's and DVD player unplugged until I use them.  Hope that helps some.
Our older Tripp-lite inverter installed in earlier model years, has a documented 12 amp current draw all by itself when sitting idle while generating 110v for any need no matter how small.  Like the TV and DVD player and GFI outlet require some minor amount of 110v.  This keeps the inverter inverting 110v, drawing that 12 amps.  The inverter never gets a chance to go into standby mode which would then draw only 1 amp.

I leave the TV and such plugged in, but kill the inverter using the switch on the inverter itself.  That is the only way to be assured of no battery drain, yet allowing 12v opperations to continue.  Killing the inverter using the kill-all switch by the entry door kills both 110v and 12v which shuts down the fridge which is a very bad thing while on a trip.

I wish the Tripp-Lite control panel was a kill-all switch.  When the control jack is unplugged from the backside of the panel, the best it will do is place the inverter into the 1 amp mode.  That is much better than leaving it to eat 12 amps, but not as dead as flipping the switch on the inverter itself.  Of coarse when the inverter is off-line, the programed TV & radio stations all go bye bye.

CLICK HERE to go to my detailed article on the Tripp-Lite subject matter.  Maybe something will apply to the Xantrex.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:40:57 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 07:17:20 pm »

The 120V outlet in the bath and 120v outlet under the sink in the kitchen are also active when the inverter is turned on.

The A/C and microwave are not run off the inverter but I'm not sure if the aerobed is powered off the inverter.

The inverter provides 1800watts or about 15 amps which is a typical household circuit.

The generator provides 4000 watts or about 33 amps which is what is typically provided by shore power.  As far as I know the entire PC is powered from the generator.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 07:39:38 pm »

Barry, you are correct.  The microwave is not affected as I had stated.  I edited out those inaccuracies of mine.  I had a senior moment there.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:42:07 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: