Helpful Rating: 257
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Location: West Dundee, IL
There are two methods to determine if your Ford was originally setup for Keyless Entry while it was being assembled on the Ford production line.
#1 - Electrically
- Sit in the driver seat with all doors closed, and buckle your seat belt.
- Be sure everything is turned off, like the climate control, radio, head lights, etc.
- Put your key in the ignition and turn to the OFF position which is one click before the dash board warning lights all come on.
- Then in "Quick Succession", turn the key one click ON, then one click OFF, a total of eight times ending at the ON position. Never turn the key so far as to crank over the engine.
- If the horn honks once, then you are "Keyless Entry Ready". You only need to purchase key fobs and program them per your owners manual.
- If the horn does not honk, then you are not setup for Keyless Entry.
#2 - Visually (Do This If The Horn Doesn't Honk)
Visually inspect to see if the VSM (Vehicle Security Module) the keyless entry support module is installed under the dash board.
Open the passenger door and stay standing outside.
Lean into the passenger footwell with a flashlight and look above the right side kick panel for a module roughly 5" wide x 4" tall, screwed to the side wall with two screws, and many wires coming down from it.
If you have a blank space with two screw holes but no screws, then you do not have the module, therefore are not setup for Keyless Entry.
Unfortunately, the main wire harness for Keyless Entry is significantly different than without. You cannot simply purchase a VSM module new or used, and plug-n-play. There are not supporting connectors to work with. If you really wanted Keyless Entry, you would have to resort to an aftermarket system like a Viper for example.
This data was given to me from a friend who is a Ford mechanic. He was not certian of differences if any between model years which is why there are two methods of verification.