Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AC not blowing cold  (Read 878 times)
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2012, 01:35:24 pm »

Four nights ago while in a state park our Dometic AC unit went off while we were sleeping. In the morning, I found the AC circuit blown off and the GRI off.

After I reset both, the AC would blow but no cool air.

Today I am at Lazy Days in Tampa and they have just told me I need a new unit for $1,700. When I asked why I was told on the phone that it is low on freon and it is a closed system.  I had other discussion that probably doesn't need to be aired here. I am waiting to speak to the technician to get a better explanation, an obviously wont be shelling ou $1,700 to Lazy Days today.

It almost seems I must have blown an internal circuit.

Any ideas.

Greg Matthews
2010. 2551S

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 03:31:13 pm »

CALL THE PHOENIX FACTORY NOW!
 It is under warrenty.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ge_montana

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 06:27:52 am »

Unfortunately, my unit is out of warranty.

Discussed issue with Kermit, looks like our unit may have taken a hit by lightning, as GFI and breaker both were flipped off the night the unit shut down. I will be replacing the unit. The Lazy Days people in Tampa where i took it, quoted $1799, which may have been more of shock than the lightning strike.

Looks like the unit can be purchased in the $800 range from local shops and has a retail price of about $1,100. Because these units are self contained, there really is no way to repair a bad compressor or even add AC juice (this used R22? which apparently is no longer used.) Am now working with a local AC -- mostly marine dealers here in St. Pete -- to get a replacement, but the Dometic model has changed, Can anyone with a 2551S that is 2012 tell me what model Dometic they have in their MH .

The AC unit we have is Dometic Duo-therm model 600315.33, and is out of date. I am looking at models on the internet and there are about 6 that look almost alike. My unit has analog controls that are not built into the unit and has heat strips.

Because there are several replacement units, I want to be sure that i get the right one. Could wait until Monday to speak to Kermit but wanted to do some research this weekend.

I will make a observation of my reaction when the Lazy Days people immediately told me the "freon is low, need to replace the unit", though some might take my comment to have a political tone, but is not meant to be that.

When the Lazy Days people looked at it and they quoted the $1,799 price as the solution, they also commented that they thought i must have a after market warranty to cover this type of expense. That made me think that places like LD may be just looking to replace things rather than look at are fixing with so many units now buying warranties. Almost like out medical system with most folks covered by employer paid insurance. It makes me see the value in having warranty in a market that is getting use to being paid by a third party. By the way, there were over 135 working bays at LD, all full of mostly diesel pushers and other Class As, only saw a handful of Class B and Cs.

But lunch was free and they did not charge to look at the unit, though it took more than an hour to get checked out -- had to meet with "repair counselor" who encouraged me to get to go ahead with the replacement.

What an operation they have, and i was able to just stroll though the bays looking for my vehicle when i asked to speak to the repair mechanic who diagnosed my AC problem. Not OSHA restrictions there.

Greg

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:29:25 pm »

Greg

In our 2910 the AC unit is Dometic #640315 with the heat strip. The AC does have digital controls.  This is new for late 2012 and 2013 models.

George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 04:15:38 pm »

On our first PC the A/C went out after about a year. I took it to CW in winchester, Va. They called dometic because a tube leaked all the freon. Dometic sent a new unit to CW. No cost to me. Our current A/C is a penguin by duo-therm with the  digital wall control/night lite.

You might try calling Dometic and tell them what is going on. Phone calls are cheaper than A/C units.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:17:22 pm by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 06:16:10 pm »

Greg,

In our 2551S 2012 the AC model number is 640315 with heat strip.  We purchased ours in October, 2011.

I would call your RV insurance company and see if they would cover it since it was due to a lightning strike.  Depending where it happened, if you were sitting at home, maybe homeowners would cover it.  Just thought I offer those suggestions. 

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ge_montana

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:31:23 am »

This saga is over, the air condition is fixed and it was covered under the comprehensive coverage for the lightning strike by the Good Sam Policy except for the $1,000 deductible on the comprehensive. I got the AC replaced locally for $989 (previous quote from Lazy Days Tampa was almost double).

I will say this about the service from Good Sam, "It was awful!"

I contacted them early friday to place the claim after reading the posts above and was told an adjuster would contact me Friday or early Monday. The adjuster did call back at 4:30pm friday and said she was out that day at 4:00pm and telling me to call her. I called and her message said that she would call Monday. No call Monday or Tuesday, i called both days and late Tuesday afternoon went on to the phone line for claims -- on hold for 30 minutes with the operator telling me every minute that there were no current agents available. Finally called the line to buy a new policy -- the phone was picked up in 1 minute and after i explained that i was less than happy with the insurance claims process -- got to speak to the adjuster's manager only for her to tell me that the claim was subject to a $1,000 deductible. An earlier agent who reviewed my policy said there was no deductible for comprehensive damage. I will recheck today, because so far the Good Sam staff seem to lacking in thoroughness.

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 09:33:37 pm »

GE Montana:

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  I hope it all works out for you.

Insurance is a pain in the butt, trust me I know, I have been an agent for 20+ years.  If you have a 1000 ded like you say, I would lower that to a 100.  It will probably change your premium about 10 bucks every six months.  Well worth it.  It won't help this claim, but it will next time, especially with a window claim.

I would find a nice local agent with a different company whom you can call when you have issues such as the above.  I am an independent agent and represent many fine local and national companies.  We can beat any of those affinity programs, have better coverage, hold your hand when you want it and can get the claims dept jumping when needed.  You put so much money into your rv, you should make sure you have the right protection. 

I will now put my soapbox away.....

DJM

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
Frank

Helpful Rating: 12
________
PurchDate: April 2012
ExtColor: green
________

CHEERS 2008 2551 (Yooper Kermit)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 03:00:09 pm »

Have to agree with DJM, As a former Independent agent, find one
you like & can talk to. He will probably recomend $50/100 deductable
on comp & $500/1000 on colision. Do the math to find break even
on savings. If you only save $15 to go $1000, get the $500 coll..
Because Michigan is a no fault state, we are way off with the rest of the states.

Frank & Dee  CHEERS!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: