Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My 2350 handling problem  (Read 927 times)
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2012, 07:09:05 pm »

As some of you know, I have been having handling problems with my new 2350 Ford.

Alignment didn't help much and the alignment man said my steering was tight probably caused by tight Ball Joints... a problem Ford knows they have.... Caused poor manufactured ball joints OR manufacture not putting in enuf grease..  He recommended at that time (1000 miles on unit) to put a few thousand more miles on it and then bring it back.  So after 5k miles, I brought it back to him to test drive it. The tight steering and slow return of the wheel was still not right according to him, and I had to agree...  He then suggested to take it back to Ford and see what they can do.

Taking it to Ford, they discovered that the ball Joints were fine.  But the Steering Gear Box was not working properly.  So today I was called by Ford that they ordered the parts for the gear box and am scheduled to had them replaced on Wed of next week. 

Hopefully this will make my 2350 a sports car! 

Denny

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
Denny & Barb

________
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:41:38 am »

Update..  Ford changed the steering gearbox, and the handling did improve and the steering wheel does return to center better but not all the way still.  So the mechanic said to drive it and bring it back if it doesn't loosen up.  What I can say is that in a cross wind etc, the steering is predictable now at least. So miles behind the wheel will tell.

Denny

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:34:36 pm »

Thanks for the update.  I'd like to hear your on-going experience.

I don't have to tell you that many of us with the Ford E350 under a PC-2350 have done suspension uprades to be happy with the handling.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Denny & Barb

________
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 05:54:12 pm »

Ron.. yes I like to keep those informed that maybe in the same boat!   Smile

As you probably have followed along, so far did the Bilstein HD shocks all around and that helped on the swaying and the bumps.   Before that did the Blue Ox frame stabilizer on the rear.  Am not sure of its effectiveness yet.

For the steering "return to normal" problem, I suppose I could install one of those pricey Paul Harvey steering stabilizers, which would mask the problem.   (Poor little power steering pump must really get a workout with one of those am thinking. My steering wheel turns hard enuf without more springs. )  So I will watch if it loosens up on its own, or I will just return it to Ford.  The steering box replacement certainly made the steering more predictable. The mechanic admitted he wasn't that experienced with the 350 SD when it comes to steering. Guess they may not get that many in there car garage. He has been a friend of mine for many years, and been in the business all his life at Ford. My brother has more experience maybe with the big trucks as when he worked for Ford that is all he worked on. So will let him test drive it when I get a chance.

Denny

BandD

Helpful Rating: 3
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 2011 Nov
IntColor: maple
ExtColor: white above blue
________

Our unit is available for viewing in Alameda, CA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:04:29 am »

Hi Folks,

Another data point - took our 2350 to a frame-and-axle place near us in Oakland.
They called me into the pit under the front end, and said  "we can't align this for
you".  I said 'why', and the mechanic grabbed the front and back of the driver's-
side wheel and wiggled it back and forth over an inch.

Then we looked at the ball joints.  Apparently the Ford factory only installs sealed
ball joints - no lubrication fittings at all, and the joints wore out after about 50K miles.
The replacement ball joints have grease fittings!

I had them put a read anti-sway bar on while the were under there, which we
haven't tested at all yet.  The front end, however, didn't wiggle nearly as much
after the ball-joint-ectomy.

Our next long trip will be Alameda to Ventura for Xmas, towing our Honda.  A car
to drive while visiting Mom's.  Yay!  Thanks again to Dale and Bonnie for the example.

Bill Cox and Diane Puntenney
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 12:08:20 am »

Denny and Barb,

I am not sure what a Blue Ox frame stabilizer is.  Do you mean a rear stabilizer bar?  If so, is it a heavy duty bar, thicker than the stock bar and with polymer bushings?

If you mean to say a rear trac bar, I feel that item is most appreciated when towing, though it would do good even if not towing.  The trac bar is most noticed when traveling straight down the highway, sitting or laying in the rear half of the rig, no longer sloshing side to side in continuous rapid succession.  But the rear trac bar does a good job under all driving conditions, helping to reduce steering compensation.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:10:24 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 45
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 01:14:08 am »

Rear Trac Bars are very important to lock the rear axle to the coach body.  This is important when your holding tanks and freshwater tanks are aft, or near the rear axle.  They become a pendulum that can cause the rear of the coach to sway excessively.  I think that most coaches can benefit from a Trac Bar.  Anti-sway bars are designed to reduce body roll and balancing the weight transfer during cornering.  So you can see the two devices are designed to correct different dynamics of handling problems of motorhomes.  Just for info.  Bob
Denny & Barb

________
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 10:09:40 pm »

Yep BandD, my alignment guy said the same thing... Not enuf lub put in the ball joints make them super tight at first, and then later they just wear out per-maturely because of lack of lube.

Ron.. yes... sorry, but I meant the rear trac bar..   Maybe I don't appreciate what all it is doing for me because of the steering problem.  Guess the rear end does behave itself quite well... 

Denny

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: