Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Check your valve stem cores  (Read 1339 times)
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:25:27 pm »

I just completed a 5,000 mile trip and found a problem with the valve stem core on one of the rear tires.

I check tire pressures periodically during the trip and on one occasion, when I removed the cap, I heard air hissing and noticed the core had backed out of the stem.  I quickly put the cap back on to stop the leak.

Fortunately I carry a compressor with me and was able to tighten the core and inflate the tire.  I went to an auto parts store and bought a core tool that is like a small screwdriver, much easier to use than the one on the end of some tire gages or the multi-purpose core tool that also has thread taps in the shape of a small cross.  The tool is also drilled out in the bottom of the slot so that the core does not let air out when tightening.

I checked all stem cores and the ones on the rear dually extenders all needed tightening.  I guess the one finally backed out enough to leak when the cap was removed.  Fortunately the cap kept the tire from leaking and also limited the amount the stem could back out so that it did not blow out when the cap was removed.

Just wanted to pass this on so others may avoid similar problem,
Bob A

2010  PC 2551
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 184
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 05:07:12 pm »

You may want to check the other end of the extenders also. I had one come loose on my other PC and the rear tire was flat before I noticed it. My tire guy told me they gets lots of flat tires from the extenders.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
VanillaGorilla

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Jun-2012
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 04:06:37 pm »

Tagging on to this old thread as others may find it useful...a similar thing happened to me just last week with my '07 2100.

I just had a leaf spring added to my PC (wow, did that make her ride much better!).  A day or two later, doing my pre-trip checks, I noticed my inner right rear tire was flat.  Took it to the tire shop thinking it had a leak, and they couldn't find anything, put it back together and it held air tight.  They checked the extenders/etc but found nothing.

They noted that they do not like the extenders, said they caused a lot of leaks.  My theory is when the suspension guys put the wheels back on, one of the extenders leaked. 

Another week later, checking the air on my wheels before a trip the other side rear wheels air line extender had a hissing sound after taking my tire gauge off the stem.  I monkeyed with the stem best I could but was able to put the cap back on and with the o-ring in it, it held for our weekend outing.  Phew.

Anyhow, will see if the valve stem tool (Ordered http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EPNNHE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1THAZDOWP300U from Amazon) does the job.  If nothing else, it will be a good thing to have in my home tool box.

Hope you are all enjoying your summer!
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:17:27 pm »

Regarding the extenders:
Make sure they are tightened to the tire's steel stem as they'll often start to leak after a while as the seal loses elasticity.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:40:21 pm »

good post ,, will get one now,,,
sparky
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 06:10:25 am »

I agree it's a good post. Extra thanks to all of you. I added the little tool to our Amazon shopping cart. The "Things to keep checking" list keeps getting longer. I know for some of you seasoned RV'ers, it is second nature, but it's pretty mind boggling to us newbies. Note to self - redo the checklists... again.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 10:18:20 am »

very good still laughing,,,,  I was on a monthly schedule to exercise the genie, roll the tires. now I'm going about every two weeks at least roll the tires, check on things,  usually just sit around read a book while the genies running,,, now I have about six things to do and check on... the never ending toils of RV Man,hahah.... yeah it's a pain, a pleasant one because most of the time it's fun,,,, but all that work and little things lead to very enjoyable road trips and not having problems     redoing the checklist now and updating the TO DO LIST.. which never ends

sparky
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:03:47 pm »

Ok 4th time,,, I am still trying to download a pic... purchased this stem valve tool wal mart 1.88. YES it is tied to a lanyard so I do not lose it... I actually have two of these, lost one for three months,,,,, now if I can some how attach a lanyard to the TV remote haha

Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 01:25:20 pm »

I just noticed that the tire valve stems on the front tires are not the same type as on the rears.  All four rear tires have what I consider to be traditional valve stem cores with caps at the ends.  The front tires have no screw-off caps and they have much different looking cores--they look solid out to the tip of the valves.
I'm sure someone can explain this to me.

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 184
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 05:01:49 pm »

Mine has the 6 and 8 inch valve extensions on the rear, which one should check the tighness on the valve stem as well as the four cores. The front has the half inch valve caps that allow adding air without removing them. One should remove them and check the valve core also. I do this every year, but some say I am anal about stuff like this.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 05:58:37 pm »

Bruce
    Like tom said you probably have the non screw valve caps, you should be able to check the air pressure on them,, try it, If I am right they should actually screw off to your regular looking valve stems, I guess you could call them extensions. hehe,,, the tip will have a movable ball/spot in the middle where you can fill or check the pressure. they just make it easier to check or fill. again take your gauge or a key and push down on the middle should give,
David sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 11:36:02 pm »

Tom and Sparky,
Thank you for clearing up that mystery for me!
--Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
VanillaGorilla

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: Jun-2012
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 03:18:53 pm »

BTW, as a follow-up on this...

When I used the valve stem core tool to tighten the leaking stem, it easily turned...maybe 1 to 2 full revolutions.

Every other valve stem core was snug and would not turn.

The tool was worth the money...I'm off to the mountains tonight!   Grin

Happy Friday to all!

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: