Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where are all the Phoenix Cruisers?  (Read 8395 times)
Big Green Machine

Helpful Rating: 1
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 02/22/14
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sage and Beige
ExtColor: Green, Full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »

2 Frazzled....regarding the Sub Base cell phone problem: if it's like the one in Groton,CT, they probably have a de-gaussing station that they pass through on their way out to sea. This causes havoc with everything if you are near it!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:03:24 am by Big Green Machine » Logged

2011 PC-2551 w/ slide.
Rich, Bonnie, & Cricket.
Unit available for showing anytime!
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2014, 11:39:05 pm »

We were working at the picnic table at Natchez State Park in MS, when in rolls another Phoenix Cruiser. They are a nice couple and adult daughter from Florida with a 2006 or 2008 green 2551 heading to Texas. They are not on the forum - yet. We encouraged them to check it out. We also encouraged them to seek help here for a problem with their diamond shield. Apparently it is an after market application (Lazy Days in Florida put it on when the Phoenix was either originally sold or resold). Water got behind the Diamond Shield and molded making speckled brown spots over all the areas with the diamond shield. They joked that they tell people it is their camouflage. They've had quotes for something like $1,500 to over $3,000 just to remove it. I checked our Diamond Shield warranty and it is restricted to the original owners so they are out of luck there. Has anyone heard of anything like this or seen it?

If I get out before they leave in the morning, I will ask if I can take a picture and post it.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2014, 06:22:17 pm »

Here are the pictures. They have this discoloration EVERYWHERE there is Diamond Shield, not just the places you see the cracks and nicks. I believe a Diamond Shield rep or some such is working with them to get the removal price down because it is so bad. They searched online and saw where people successfully removed their film with a hair dryer or heat gun so they gave it a go. Some came off with major work but the film on the one mirror took the paint off with it. I recommended they contact the factory to get their paint colors so they can redo that mirror.

They bought the PC from their parents who bought it from someone else. They are the third owners. They live in Florida. I searched online also and one owner with much smaller patches of mildew under the film was told the reason it did this is the weather in Florida.

Remember, these pictures are of an after market application, NOT the installer Phoenix uses. The owners figure it was not properly installed but since it had changed hands, it had no warranty to go back on. I don't know how much time passed between the installation of the film and the first signs of mildew.

I have the email address of the owner of the this PC and will pass along any words of wisdom you might have. I also expect they'll be on the forum before long.

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2014, 07:38:45 am »

That is horrible.  My heart sank looking at the pictures.  I wonder if the sun did that.  Was it brown where the sun doesn't shine?

I don't know about lately, but back in 2007, Phoenix USA was installing Diamond Shield themselves.  I recall a fellow there installing it right outside the factory overhead door on a nice sunny day.  I  can't rule out the possibility, the person was contracted from another company, installing the product on-site.

A heat gun can easily remove paint.  They burn things to the point of ignition.  It is an electric equivalent of a propane torch, often used to remove paint and adhesives.  I used one to remove adhesive that held down my old vinyl flooring in my house.  Anything stringy sticking up in the air quickly became a lit candle.  A hair dryer will not get nearly as hot.  I would try that.

Hopefully Diamond Shield will refer them to a specific service.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:52:44 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2014, 08:10:46 am »

I wonder if the sun did that.  Was it brown where the sun doesn't shine?
Yes, every single piece of Diamond Shield was brown. I was wondering if there was a problem with the adhesive to start with. Maybe it was old or not properly mixed and the adhesive behind the film is what actually molded. I can't believe enough water would get back there, that evenly, to have that effect. I saw pics online of other people with problems but it was a few spots here and there and I can imagine those might come from a scratch or stone ding that pierced the shield and let water in but not this one.

I don't know who Phoenix has installing the Diamond Shield, in-house or not, but I wanted to clarify this particular application was installed in Florida after market, not through Phoenix. I don't recall seeing anything on the forum about problems with the Diamond Shield on other PCs.

gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2014, 08:12:20 am »

We were told by Diamond Shield to protect it with 303 Aerospace Protectant. After washing the coach, we put it on and then before each trip.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 08:21:56 am »

We were told by Diamond Shield to protect it with 303 Aerospace Protectant. After washing the coach, we put it on and then before each trip.

Judi
I am bad.  I have never applied a protectant.  But our rig does not see daily exposure either and so it still looks great, seven years next month.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
________

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2014, 09:25:47 am »

I wonder if this may be the effect of using a dry wash type of cleaner?  Diamond Shield says they do not recommend any type of dry wash cleaner, since they are designed for non-porous surfaces.... and a paint protection film is porous.

The DS website says this about removal:
Removing the Diamond Shield can be accomplished by starting at one corner and slowly peeling back. A heat gun may be used to facilitate the removal.

- Mike
Big Green Machine

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 02/22/14
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Sage and Beige
ExtColor: Green, Full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2014, 11:07:24 am »

We actually saw a similar case in Florida back in March...looked like it had been applied over dusty sand!

2011 PC-2551 w/ slide.
Rich, Bonnie, & Cricket.
Unit available for showing anytime!
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2014, 07:30:33 am »

We were in Cody, WY a few days ago when a nice couple  from NY drove in with a 4 wheel drive 2350 on an E450.  Traveling with some enormous beautiful white dogs (Samoyed's, maybe)
[We just loved Cody, btw]

Also saw what looked to be a 2350 heading west on I-90 in the middle of South Dakota.

- Mike
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2014, 08:40:21 am »

Came back to our site at Lakeshore Park Campground in St. Ignace, MI yesterday after an outing into town and noticed another PC (looked to be a 2551 or 2552) had moved in close by.  Never did see the owners and they left very early this morning.  This one had lower body paint and a motorcycle rigged to the back.

Very nice campground here, by the way.  Again, only about 10 rigs in the whole place.  Weather is beautiful.

- Mike
Kyle_Phoenix_Cruiser

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: No
Model: None
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2014, 02:17:42 pm »

Woot!

Let's see... We were camping in Holland, Michigan on Memorial Day Weekend (at the State Park - Beach Campground) and met a couple who just purchased a 2003 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 from Detroit.

This past weekend (June 1) we saw a 2010 Phoenix Cruiser model 3100 driving in Warsaw, IN with a Chevrolet Corvair in-tow.
Turns out it was a couple in their 90's who were headed to the factory to sell the coach to P.C.

-Kyle

Kyle Herschberger
Business Manager - Phoenix USA
kyle@phoenixcruiser.com
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2014, 07:59:57 am »

Yet another sighting.  We are at Boston Minuteman Campground and when we pulled in there was a PC already set up near the office area......a 2552!  Turns out to be a nice couple from Arizona that has recently downsized. 

- Mike
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: January 2008
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2014, 10:27:55 am »

In The Woods.  Along the logging roads of the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon.  My cabin in the woods.     Grin

Bill and Karen Golden
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2014, 08:18:58 am »

Spotted - Older model 2551 or 2552 with Vermont plates spotted in campsite #2 at Crawford Notch State Park, Dry River Campground. We stopped here for two nights so we could take the Cog Railway up Mount Washington. Shortly after settling in to Site #5, we spotted the PC in #2. It was just there overnight and we never saw people outside. As I was reluctant to invade their space and knock on the door, we didn't get to meet them. Was it anyone on the forum?

Holly

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print

Jump to: