Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Duo Therm Penguin A/C  (Read 1764 times)
Mike

Helpful Rating: 1
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Brown
ExtColor: Brown/White
________

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:46:19 pm »

We just took delivery on a 2551 recently. The A/C (heat pump) is very loud especially when the compressor is running. Is this a common problem or do I take in in for service? I need my sleep!

Thanks Mike
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 06:57:40 pm »

Hi Mike:

We are sleepless in Florida.

We have a 2350 on the Sprinter Chassis ..... and .... I was wondering the same thing. We tried leaving the fan running constant on low all night with the a/c on and Vince my husband has resorted to wearing ear plugs and wrapping the pillow around his head .... I can't do either and when the a/c kicks on it is like an explosion  that almost blows you out of bed Cry .

I to thought that maybe something could be wrong .... does anyone else have the same problem ????

Being in Florida we HAVE to run the a/c

Vince & Carol Power
classact

________
OwnPC: No
Model: 3100
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:44:44 pm »

The loud AC issue, caused primarily from the high fan speed required for the unit to operate efficiently, is a problem that's not unique to PC. We have a Jayco Melbourne and even on the low setting, our AC is loud enough to make casual conversation a challenge.  I was thrilled recently to read about Coleman's new Mach 8 AC unit, which is engineered with two separate motors.   Not only is the unit much more quiet, but it's 15 lb lighter than their other units.     As I understand it, Winnebago and a few other manufacturers are starting to install them.   I would think this would be something PC would have interest in incorporating into future models.   It rates high on my wish-list for our next RV.

2007 Jayco Melbourne
PC 3100 Wannabe
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:13:28 am »

This is same on our unit soWe keep on low once the unit is cooled. Bride says helps to drowned out snoring.

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 06:48:15 am »

Yep, both our 2350 and the 2552 have the same issue. After a while you kind of get use to it. Like living next to the railroad tracks or in the flight path of a major airport. At 6:25 am every morning the biggest, nosiest plane takes off and fly right over our house. The air port is about 20 miles away and this is the only time we hear planes.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 93
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:57:03 am »

I agree with Tom. In all three of our PCs, noise from the AC/heater and inverter disturb my sleep. I wonder if it is because the unit is not ducted. I know that Coach House has a ducted unit. Since I am a VERY light sleeper, here is what we do so that I can get a good nights sleep:

I always wear earplugs.
We turn off the inverter each night before bed and then I turn it back on in the morning. That fan coming on all night wakes me up.
I use a little fan that I bought at Walgreens to circulate air at night.
We also bought a small electric heater although we haven't used it yet (after a year of schlepping it around).

The noise does not bother George--he snores away--but I am another story.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
classact

________
OwnPC: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 07:17:51 pm »

I agree with Tom. In all three of our PCs, noise from the AC/heater and inverter disturb my sleep. I wonder if it is because the unit is not ducted. I know that Coach House has a ducted unit. Since I am a VERY light sleeper, here is what we do so that I can get a good nights sleep:

I always wear earplugs.
We turn off the inverter each night before bed and then I turn it back on in the morning. That fan coming on all night wakes me up.
I use a little fan that I bought at Walgreens to circulate air at night.
We also bought a small electric heater although we haven't used it yet (after a year of schlepping it around).

The noise does not bother George--he snores away--but I am another story.

Judi

FWIW, our Melbourne IS ducted, but the noise is the same.   The fan speed required within the unti to keep it running efficiently creates the unwanted byproduct of noise.  Again, hoping for these new Coleman units that are much more quiet.

2007 Jayco Melbourne
PC 3100 Wannabe
Jan and Dick

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: 5/23/12
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 08:09:49 pm »

We had a serious vibration in our unit every time the compressor kicked in.  I talked to the factory rep at the Good Sam rally in Louisville who put in contact with a local service center.  They took one look at it and determined he compressor was bad.  The factory replaced the whole unit.  We have not used the AC much yet but have used the heat strips a lot on a recent trip to Maine.  I will say the blower is loud.  But the vibrations from the compressor seemed to be gone after a short test when  the new unit was installed.  I am not sure you can do much about the loud fan.  It does not seem to bother my wife or I when we sleep.  In fact we used the heat strip exclusively at night to heat heat the PC at night.  The noise from the fan was minor compared to the vibrations from the compressor.  I am no sure this helps you but you have my simpathy.

Dick
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 07:59:32 am »

When I owned a Chinook we had a "serious vibration " in the A/C one time. It rattled the whole camper. Cry I called service at Camping world and they knew right away what it was.  nod They told me to remove the cover and look at the fan. So I did that and found a small brown mud darter (bee) nest. I cleaned it out and all was well again. ThumbsUp Live and learn. rolling on the floor

Tom Hanlon
Carolp495

________
PurchDate: 1/2013
Model: 2350 Sprinter
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 10:58:34 am »

Well we live in a small airpark community in Florida (my husband is a private pilot) and our community butts up againt I-95 .... and I am use to the small planes taking off and usually sleep through that ... and I-95 for the most part I look at that noise as ocean waves (ha-ha) but I can not get use to the noise of the 2350's a/c unit ... I have found that ear plugs and a nice glass of wine before bedtime have done the trick so far  Cheers but if we put the a/c on auto ... when that kicks on and off it is with a vengenance .... so we have kept the fan on low as Judy I think suggested and that with the earplugs seem to help.  Will have to check out the fan as I notice when I am outside the unit and the a/c kicks on it seems like a clunk or vibration sort of noise when it first starts up .. so maybe we have something on the blades ... I doubt it but I'm always looking for things !
Carol

Yep, both our 2350 and the 2552 have the same issue. After a while you kind of get use to it. Like living next to the railroad tracks or in the flight path of a major airport. At 6:25 am every morning the biggest, nosiest plane takes off and fly right over our house. The air port is about 20 miles away and this is the only time we hear planes.

Vince & Carol Power
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 93
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 11:32:09 am »

Frogs!!!!!! Not Kermit The Frog but the tree frog variety living in the blades--at least I think that Kermit is not a tree frog shrug

While at Stephen Foster State Park, I heard this horrible noise when we started up the air. George climbed up on the roof, took off the cover of the air conditioner and low and behold there was a frog. He took it out and while up there found another squished frog.

You Never Know what lurks in the air conditioner!

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
BarbRN

Helpful Rating: 4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: May 25, 2013
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: beige
ExtColor: tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 08:58:45 am »

We can hardly hear each other talk on the sofa.  Also, at 100% volume on the TV, we can't hear it over the A/C.  Is there a way to make it louder?  Seems the speaker on the TV is partially covered up by upholstery.  Is there a way to use the auxiliary speakers with the TV if you aren't watching a DVD?
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 10:46:26 am »

Yes, turn on the sound sound (DVD) player, go into the menu and change the input setting to ??? Until the sound comes out the five speakers. I think it is set to aux, but not sure.

Tom Hanlon
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 05:20:26 pm »

When we looked at PC our biggest concern was the non-ducted A/C. We had had other units that were very noisy, but had read that the Coleman Mach 8 had two motors and was very quiet on low. When we ordered our unit, we had Kermit install the 15K Coleman Mach 8 heatpump. It costs a little more but on low it is truly quieter than the Dometics that PC uses. The two motor system enables low to be "LOW". You can talk above it, watch and hear the TV, and sleep at night with it running on low without the cycling bothering me like some other unducted units. It also has the advantage of being one of the lowest and lightest units on the market. That's my plug for the day!
 Wink  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:39:25 am by Shipper » Logged

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 3/26/13
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 10:00:24 pm »

Hi,
     I must need hearing aids, we have 2 ac units in our 3100, and we run both of them at night when it's hot. sleeping is no problem for the both of us. watching tv is not a problem, most of the time, if the living room ac is on low, with high then we have a problem.

Jim & Rae Anne
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: