Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My first winterizing...  (Read 469 times)
VanillaGorilla

Helpful Rating: 1
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Jun-2012
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:52:08 pm »

Greetings,

I have been learning a lot from the posts on this forum, thanks to everyone.  My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed taking our 2100 out for our weekend excursions...the creature comforts are outstanding.  We have logged over 20 nights in our PC post our June purchase.  I live in MT and am hopeful I will get out a few more times before full on winter hits.  I actually have hopes to try using it this winter at the ski areas...but that is a topic for another post!

We have already had a few nights in the single digits so I prepped my PC following the steps below.  I would welcome any opinions, corrections or suggestions you may have on my method.  My goal is to get efficient and effective at it so I can use my PC on the tail/front end of winter without any damage.

Check List in Order of Execution
  • Drain fresh water tank
  • Drain hot water heater
  • Run 12V water pump until no water comes out via bathroom faucet
  • Connected air compressor to PC city water connection with ~35 PSI
  • Blow out faucets/sprayers Hot and Cold
  • - Kitchen faucet and spray nozzle
  • - Bathroom Sink
  • - Shower spray wand
  • - Toilet flusher
  • - Outside shower
  • Pour 2-3 cups RV antifreeze into kitchen, shower and bathroom sinks to fill the traps
  • Dumped black tank
  • Dump grey tank
  • Poured 3/4 gallon of RV antifreeze into toilet, ran sani-con pump with black tank valve opened until I saw pink antifreeze coming out and then stopped pump and closed valve

I am not 100% sure the method I used to drain the lines around the 12v pump is adequate.  Not wanting to put antifreeze in the system, I am not sure how better to drain it.

I would imagine there is a little water still in the grey tank, any concerns?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Jim
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:41:50 am »

Hi Jim, on the 2100, does the city water inlet bypass the water pump?  I ask as I have used the suck hose attached to the water pump -under my bed on the 3100-to get pink gunk into the pump, lines and any low spots.  (I froze most everything on a Coach House long ago)  I even have blasted air into the water heater drain to not only get wet but to get water out - even though I have been told it is ok to leave the dregs in situ.  I think pink stuff in tanks is also ok as it went from tank to macerater.  Do you have tank flush line? & blow it also?  I keep forgetting that one.
kevin
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 330
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 11:50:47 am »

Jim

Just a couple of things.

Now that your water heater is empty there is a chance you will burn out your heating element if you connect your PC to shore power and have the water heater turned on.  I always turn the water heater off at the 120v breaker box as part of my winterization.

There are low point drains for the hot and cold water.  I don't know where they are in the 2100 but in the 2350 and 2551 they are under the drawers in the kitchen area near the water heater by-pass.  You might want to open them and see if anything comes out.

Not sure if this is necessary but I also blow out the SanCon flush lines for the black and grey tanks.

I also remove any 9V, AA or AAA batteries  plus the smoke alarm.  In the spring when I reinstall the smoke alarm I also put in a new battery .

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 61
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:08:56 pm »

Barry,
    That was a good idea of turning off the electricity to the water heater at the C/B.  My little granddaughter likes to push buttons, and I was always concerned she might hit the water heater when we were not looking.
    Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: