Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Replacement coach batteries  (Read 1357 times)
Margie

Helpful Rating: 3
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/09
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
ExtColor: Full body paint/latte
________

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2012, 02:22:55 pm »

We have a 2010 2350 Sprinter PC.  The coach batteries are beginning to get a little weak.  Just wondering what brands of batteries you folks are replacing your old batteries with.  It is time to start shopping for new ones.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:25:50 pm »

I think our original 2007 2350 E350 12V house batteries were never healthy from the start.  Two years later I bought new larger 12V batteries from Walmart and they just fit in the battery tray with no room to spare in the one dimension, and they are taller.  They were around $75 a piece three years ago.  I suspect they would cost more today.  They hold more energy today than the originals did when they were new.  I like the design of the top of the Walmart batteries because acid boil-overs are better contained.  If we run into battery trouble with the Walmarts, there is always a Walmart near by to take advantage of a warranty.  Of coarse we keep the receipt of purchase with us.

Our Ford chassis battery is the original one, still doing well.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:28:26 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Margie

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 01:19:22 pm »

Ron, thanks for your reply.  We appreciate it.  We looked around a little and there is such a huge difference in prices.  My husband does want to get something larger than the original ones.  Looks like we will be heading to Walmart soon.  You always have the answer and I appreciate it very much.

Margie
GregC

Helpful Rating: 4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: June 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Green
ExtColor: Green
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 05:07:58 pm »

While on our way home from Elkhart after just purchasing our 2551, the house batteries went dead and we could not get the generator started.  I talked with Stuart about the problem and he said that they were probably ready for replacement anyway, so he told me to buy two new batteries and send him the bill.  (What great service, don't you think?)  Anyway, I had replaced the house batteries in our Pleasure Way just last year with the Marine batteries from Wal-Mart.  They were the most powerful that would fit in the slider tray, and without hesitation I went back to Wal-Mart for the new ones for our PC.  Their marine batteries fit well in the PC, provide plenty of power, and can be replaced at any Wal-Mart around the country, (if need be).  The price is also very competitive.  IMHO there is no other choice that makes for a better value.

Greg & Juliana
Southeast Missouri
Margie

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 05:32:41 pm »

Thanks for posting, Greg.  Just more confirmation that Walmart must be the place to go.  I appreciate your input.

Margie
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 05:49:35 pm »

Margie

I generally use Interstate Batteries as replacements for both the coach and van, they worked for us in the past.  They also have a good distribution system with many outlets.

Barry
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:51:16 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Margie

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 12:15:37 pm »

Thanks, Barry.  My husband will check out all of the suggestions this weekend.  Good to know from people who have been there and done that.

Margie
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 02:04:04 pm »

For what its worth, generally after the first of the year and before fishing season starts with warmer weather sporting goods stores (Academy in my case) run some sales on new production trolling motor batteries.  Both had the same day production date and approx. two months prior to my purchase. The last two I bought were in the 125AH rating area and worked very well in the PC for fit, ampacity, etc..  Sorry I do not remember the brand but had as good luck with them as any and better than most. I did put single point fill apparatus on them since filling those batteries in the trays is a little more demanding on my knees than I liked. I always kept the batteries (house and chassis) when at home on the automated type maintainers (not trickle chargers) and if my chassis and tractor battery is any example they extend the life by at least a couple years.  My PC chassis battery was original to the 2007 model year (who knows really how old?) and still tested extremely well on resistance type testers.
The house batteries also lasted longer than most at 5 years. Also the price on the batteries from Academy had rebates that were a little tricky to collect on both but can be accomplished. Sorry for the run on sentences but thoughts run faster than punctuation with me.
L. G.
smoline

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: 11/10/2011
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling (lower)
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:11:36 pm »

The coach batteries on my new 2012 Ford 2350 were near useless on day one. I had them replaced with two Deep Cycle Marine/RV Battery GPL-4CT from Impact Battery which has greatly increased the reliability and duration of charge.
Zorba

Helpful Rating: 1
________
Model: 2552
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:07:19 pm »

Assuming your coach has 2 batteries, you really want to use a pair of 6 volt batteries in series, instead of two 12s in parallel. They'll hold a charge better and last longer. I think PC has gone to this setup on new coaches.
dickreid1

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: Feb. 2012
Model: 2910
________

All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 08:41:42 pm »

Let me second Zorba's comment about 6v batteries.  The 12v batteries supplied provide about 100 ampere hours.  Compare this with around 220 ampere hours from 6v batteries. Changing the battery slide to one that fits the taller 6v type was the first thing I had done on my new PC.

Dick
lghjr
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 12:06:02 am »

Two 12v batteries in parallel configuration are additive, i.e., 125ah+125ah=250ah @ 12V.
Two 125ah 6v batteries in series become 125ah @ 12V the amp Hour rating is not additive in series.

Economics of each, it's not a toss up, but takes some investigating to sort out, and is highly dependent on intended vs actual manner of use.
Zorba

Helpful Rating: 1
________
Model: 2552
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 02:53:49 pm »

Nope. While its true about the AH being additive in parallel, the 6 volt batteries will have twice the amp hour rating - all other things being equal (size, make, chemistry, etc). Energy density is a constant - again, all other things being equal.

There is zero reason NOT to use 2 6 volters in series vs. 2 12 volters in parallel - while there are plenty of reasons NOT to ever use batteries in parallel. Its just bad design and bad practice. When it absolutely, positively, MUST be done, each parallel battery should be diode isolated - which becomes a bit of a problem in a rechargeable system.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 04:04:16 pm »

The 6V versus 12V battery discussion always draws debate, and this one inspired me to step out of my cubicle here at work at Motorola Solutions (the 2-way radio communications company) and ask an electrical engineer.  He has a masters degree, focus with power.  He also happens to be my 29 year old son.  He quickly reviewed our motor home scenerio and concluded this.

GIVEN IDENTICAL AMPERAGE BATTERY RATINGS FOR BOTH 6V & 12V BATTERIES, two 12V batteries will supply twice the power of two 6V.  I did a quick search on deep cycle batteries and found the typical 12V to be around 100Ah, and 6V to be around 200Ah.  If this is the comparison, then they hold equal amounts of energy reserve power.

IN THE EVENT OF ONE BATTERY FAILING....
12V - The remaining good 12V will get damaged if the condition continues for an extended period of time.
6V - The remaining good 6V will not be harmed
If one battery dies during a vacation and you catch it in time, you can isolate the two 12V batteries and continue on your trip with only one 12V battery.  In the case with 6V batteries, you will simply see a voltage drop which you can do nothing about until you replace the bad battery.  Given it is recommended to replace batteries in pairs, the 6V benefit seems to hold no value.  I also wonder how hard it is to find a pair of new 6V batteries in the middle of No Where USA.

CHARGING 12V and 6V BATTERIES THAT ARE IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER
12V batteries will charge evenly, 6V batteries will not.  If you vacation with limited charge times as we do, this could be an issue with 6V batteries, potentially unable to provide a full 12V if the charge is not allowed to complete.

My son is not familiar with lead acid battery technology, so there could be influencial factors that sway benefits to one versus the other.

Zorba,
Your isolation diodes for 12V sound like a good idea, though few people would apply it.
Your support for two 6V in series has a strong following so I am not really convinced one way or the other.

Just thought I'd put this into the discussion.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:19:48 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
lghjr
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 06:12:58 pm »

The 6V versus 12V battery discussion always draws debate, and this one inspired me to step out of my cubicle here at work at Motorola Solutions (the 2-way radio communications company) and ask an electrical engineer.  He has a masters degree, focus with power.  He also happens to be my 29 year old son.  He quickly reviewed our motor home scenerio and concluded this.

GIVEN IDENTICAL AMPERAGE BATTERY RATINGS FOR BOTH 6V & 12V BATTERIES, two 12V batteries will supply twice the power of two 6V.  I did a quick search on deep cycle batteries and found the typical 12V to be around 100Ah, and 6V to be around 200Ah.  If this is the comparison, then they hold equal amounts of energy reserve power.

IN THE EVENT OF ONE BATTERY FAILING....
12V - The remaining good 12V will get damaged if the condition continues for an extended period of time.
6V - The remaining good 6V will not be harmed
If one battery dies during a vacation and you catch it in time, you can isolate the two 12V batteries and continue on your trip with only one 12V battery.  In the case with 6V batteries, you will simply see a voltage drop which you can do nothing about until you replace the bad battery.  Given it is recommended to replace batteries in pairs, the 6V benefit seems to hold no value.  I also wonder how hard it is to find a pair of new 6V batteries in the middle of No Where USA.

CHARGING 12V and 6V BATTERIES THAT ARE IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER
12V batteries will charge evenly, 6V batteries will not.  If you vacation with limited charge times as we do, this could be an issue with 6V batteries, potentially unable to provide a full 12V if the charge is not allowed to complete.

My son is not familiar with lead acid battery technology, so there could be influencial factors that sway benefits to one versus the other.

Zorba,
Your isolation diodes for 12V sound like a good idea, though few people would apply it.
Your support for two 6V in series has a strong following so I am not really convinced one way or the other.

Just thought I'd put this into the discussion.

And you will have a considerable voltage drop both charging and discharging across any diode isolation. Good luck with that.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:15:27 pm by lghjr » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: