Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Winter storage without winterizing  (Read 648 times)
glenncc

Helpful Rating: 5
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1/4/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: No
IntColor: Desert Sage
ExtColor: Desert Sage / Fullbody paint
________

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:41:52 am »

I've been winterizing my 2350 Phoenix Cruiser every fall to prevent breakage of water pipes, but I'm wondering if anyone has managed to accomplish that feat by using an electric heater inside the PC?  I'm thinking I might need the furnace to force warm air to the holding tanks (fresh water and waste tanks) to keep them from freezing.  I'd love to be able to use my motorhome periodically during the winter without having to winterize and de-winterize each time. 

Another option might be to only use city water hookups to avoid filling the fresh water tank as I think the water lines would be safe with the electric heater.  I could also add some antifreeze to the waste tanks after each dump to protect them as well as the macerator pump.  Then, there are the electric holding tank heaters, but it might be a stretch to rely on them for the entire winter and I'm wondering how much that would add to the electric bill. 

I'm betting someone on this forum has experimented with this and can advise me as to how to best proceed.  Thanks in advance guys!   ThankYou   

Glenn Canavan 2010 Model 2350 with no slide out.
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:21:12 am »

(this is my third time trying to reply... I think ether me or the computer needs more coffee!   Coffee)

ALL good questions and this is the forum I bet you can get some answers.

This is my first winter with our lovely PC 2350 (can U tell we  Heart Shower love our PC?)  So my only experience is with the Rialta.  Now the Rialta procedure suggests to just blow the lines out with compressed air 35lbs or less. That seemed to work fine for me. Then when one wants to go on a moments notice, "just add water" and go.

I have also used the heater to keep everything cozy inside.  That worked fine also, but I wondered about the cost of long term use. (I live in N Wisc.) Would maybe even have to use two heaters when it gets below zero.

My only concern with the 2350 is the mercenary pump. I would agree no matter what procedure you use, one would have to not forget the pump and run antifreeze thru it.

I am also interested in this topic as we would like to "blast off" in a moments notice, so will be interested in what others have to say..

Denny and Barb

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
JackD

Helpful Rating: 24
________
PurchDate: May 2012
Model: 2350 Sprinter
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:34:10 am »

Denny took the words out of my mouth! I too blow out the lines (Camping World, etal, have the fitting that attaches to the city water inlet) and we're ready to go South in Feb.  I do put a little antifreeze. In the drain traps.

I used to keep 2 - 100 watt light bulbs in the bilge of my boat to keep the condensation down, but still blew out the lines, just to be safe.

Jack
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:10:15 am »

Water tank is the biggest problem and cost if you freeze it. I have seen one that split on the back of the tank and the whole thing needed to be replaced. Drain it no matter what you do. I winterize my motorhome after thanksgiving, then just before we go away for the Christmas break I flush the lines and put water into the fresh water tank, 3/4 full. I place a heater in the coach and open the lower cabinet doors so heat can get to the lines. I will let the motorhome sit of two or three days this way without any problems. The day we depart, I turn on the water pump and fill the water heater. I have never had any problems. I never gets below zero here and hardly gets much below upper twenties. Where you live might be different.

Then again you could do like Ron D. does and put the PC in a heated garage.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
glenncc

Helpful Rating: 5
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1/4/2011
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: No
IntColor: Desert Sage
ExtColor: Desert Sage / Fullbody paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 03:13:53 pm »

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I don't have a heated garage (at least large enough to accommodate a motorhome) so that isn't an option (at least not at home). 

I was able to reach Kermit in Elkhart this morning and I now feel confident that using a space heater set at 55 degres inside the PC would serve to keep the interior water pipes from freezing.  The most important thing would be to drain the water heater after each camp-out or to leave it heated since I would have power to the RV.  I'd opt not to fill the fresh water tank and connect to the city water inlet when camping instead.  That would also eliminate using the water pump.  I could also leave the furnace thermostat set at 45 degrees as a backup in case the heater malfunctioned.  Kermit said leaving the furnace set on 45 degrees by itself would also be an option with electrical power to run the fan.  He estimated I could go at least three weeks on a tank of propane in most winter weather conditions in central Illinois. 

So, I think I have the facts I need to decide whether or not to bring the Phoenix Cruiser home from the storage garage year around.  The $75/month that would save me would go a long way toward the added electrical and propane expenses. 

Hopefully this information will be useful to another PC owner. 

Glenn Canavan 2010 Model 2350 with no slide out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: