Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3100 impressions  (Read 675 times)
classact

Helpful Rating: 3
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: New
Model: 3100
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:45:42 pm »

We were finally able to step inside a 3100 last week - a 2011 3100 with a few thousand miles.  Over all I was impressed w/ what I saw, and the build quality was in line with what I've read on here.   A couple concerns though - the slide rollers were already causing the linoleum to buckle significantly, and the carpet was loose and dimpled from the rollers as well. I realize there is a lot of weight on the rollers, but disappointing to see effects from it on a unit that's just a year or two old.

Two large screws were oddly protruding about an inch into the storage space under the driver side bed from the outside wall-side of the space. Kind of a mystery and not a huge deal to fix, but strange.

Several cabinet door latches didn't seem to "catch". It looked like there is some kind of toggle or something in the catch that wasn't allowing the door to close and engage the latch.  I'm supposing I just couldn't figure out how it worked...and maybe no big deal.

Unrelated to all this, I'm curious how everyone likes the new flourescent lighting that's used throughout the coaches. It was a sunny day when we looked at this unit so hard to tell how the lighting was after dark.  I'm assuming each light is controlled by switching it on and off at each location (not switched on the wall somwhere).  Seems like the flourescent lighting might cast more of a cold/white light.

The frameless windows give the unit a very cool, sleek look.  Beyond that, I'm not sure if I like them more, less, or about the same as standard sliding windows we've had in RVs in the past.

Seats are comfy, love the under-the-sofa drawer and various other small storage spaces, although the significant lack of storage outside would make for some creative packing. Full body paint probably the nicest of any coach we've seen.  The "smallness" of the coach overall is the big trade-off. Once set up at your distination, the extra elbow room of larger coaches is surely welcomed, but the compact nature of the PC gives it the edge in handling, parking, economy, etc. 

How does everyone like the macerator pump for waste disposal? I've never considered hooking up the traditional sewer hoses to be that big of a deal, but perhaps the macerator makes it even less of a chore? 

We are not on any huge rush in our search for the "perfect" RV (is there such a thing?!) so as always, appreciate all the thoughts and info on this site.

-Mike

2007 Jayco Melbourne
PC 3100 Wannabe
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
OwnPC: Yes
PurchDate: 9/2010
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:53:26 pm »

Heart Shower Mike,  your impression of the 3100 sounds favorable.  I'll try to answer one item & maybe more.  Our plastic door catches occasionally eat parts.  I used to get replacements from Bobby, at factory, during the first fall & spring as we passed the factory.  I now replace, as needed, with magnet catches.  I think I bought a hand-full of  different sizes at Home Depot.  I finally determined why ours were snapping.  Mainly on the kitchen drawers, that is.  There seems to be little tolerance for the male part being out of whack and the two little widgets on the other get huffy & one fails.

If you find where the too long screws originate, you maybe able to replace with better sizes.
oops, time to go
I'll see about answers later
kevin
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 27
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:49:11 pm »

The rollers do cause indentions/carpet bunching, but the elimination of the carpet solved that condition.  On my previous PC, I installed laminate flooring, and that solved the indention condition (now all pc's come with laminate flooring).  This is our 3rd pc, and we have had the door latch breaking problem on all 3.  I, too, have replaced most of the latches with magnetic catches--condition solved.  Lights in our current 2012 2552 are good at night - no problems so far as we're concerned.  I was also was concerned the new frameless windows would not be as good as the old slide windows, but we have been pleasantly surprised and happy with the new windows.  Yes, there is less storage space in the pc's, but remember you're not buying a class a.  We have found we don't need half the stuff we thought we needed to take along.  If you really need more space, don't buy a class b.  The macerator works great, empties the tanks quickly and you don't have to deal with the stinky slinky.  You'll find the pc is excellent quality for the price.  You can certainly buy more comfort, storage, living space, fancy interiors, etc., but the price is considerably higher, you'll have to deal with a lot more warranty service (as well as dealers) and your frustration level will be quite a bit higher.  PC is not perfect, but the company will quickly handle any reasonable problems/concerns.  Also, take a look at the recall lists--how many pc issues can you find?  Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:08:11 pm »

We have a 2011, I love it but now living in it for longer then 3 months seems kinda small.
The rollers, I use on both rollers tile squares, as the slide comes in I lay them on the floor and no problems.

Latches, I replaced all mine. Used the kind looks like a small arrow goes into a clip type thingy. Is thingy a word?

Like the flour lights but wished on was "switched"

The maser is ok but I use the big hose. The electric valves are nice.

Perfect RV, NO. Don't miss understand me the cruiser is nice but we are finding it a little small. The class a is more comfortable but not as nice to drive, go figure.

That's my opinion, good or bad, that's it. pulling hair out

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Rotorbrain

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: 4/23/2009
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2009
IntColor: Green
ExtColor: Green
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:17:25 pm »

We will pick up our 3rd Phoenix in February.  We have had 15 RVs from slide in pick-up campers to full size class A diesel pushers (3 to be exact) and have found that the Cruisers are the best for the buck, particularly when considering the outstanding factory support. There will always be little annoyances, but Phoenix factory and personnel support have always supplied answers.  

The cabinet and drawer latches have a capture mode that can be defeated by partially closing the door and reopening without allowing the latch to engage. It only takes a second to "re-spring" the latch and normal operation resumes.  I neglected to do this properly one time and had to re-attach the latch with filler and new screws.

The slides are heavy, but are generally not problematic.  The carpeting usually fluffs back up for us, but if the PC sits in storage more than it is used it is understandable that some indentations may be more stubborn.  Buy a Phoenix to use it as often as you can and the wear points are smooth, consistent, and predictable.  We are on our third Phoenix and like the improvements on succeeding models, so our concern over the little things that show up as a Cruiser is used is not important to us.

Enjoy the Phoenix - there is nothing on the market like it.
Syd and Margo

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: 9/11
IntColor: Sunlit
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 08:51:07 am »

Glad to hear you got see the 3100.  We have a 2012 3100 and love it.  The dimbles on our linoleum from the slide raise back up after a period of time,  We have the same problem with the cabinet door latches.  I keep a small srewdriver avaiable to flip them back in position.  They do a great job securing the doors.  The fluoresent lights are a bit bright some times so we mainly use small bullet lights.  We love the windows.  No more streaks running down from window frames.  We use both the macerator and the large diameter hose.  The macerator worked great at our previous home where I was able to attach an old garden hose to the existing hose and pump into my outside sewer cleanout and dump right at home when returning from trips.
Last year we spent 6 months in Florida in it and enjoyed the combination of the sofa and the dinette and still had our bedroom in the rear.  We removed the plastic sliding door and replaced it with a drape which matches our bedding.
I don't know if you have driven the PC yet but that is another big plus.  I have owned a Class A and a fifthwheel and love the way this unit drives.
All of the PC owners we have are great friendly people.  Right now we are at W P Franklin Locks on the Caloosahatchie River out side of Fort Myers Florida, where we are meeting 2 other PC owner for a little get together.  All because of this great forum that is available.  Last fall we met a couple from St Petersburg Florida at Fort Desoto Park near there home and shared some stories and some wine.
Good Luck with you search and enjoy life, we do every day.

ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:56 am »

Classact:

I am on my second PC a 2012 3100 and I love it.  I had the 2551 and that unit was just a little to small coming down from a couple of 38' class A's.  The 3100 is a dream to drive and we just like the layout alot, we have not spent months at a time in the unit and perhaps if we did we might have the same opinion as Billy is having?  I just like the ability to get in the unit and go and not have to worry to much about getting caught in tight spaces, etc.  I have not had any of the latch issues as of yet, the floren. lights are fine, we use the small bullet lights mostly and those are all on remote switches.  I use the the large hose to dump black/gray water, I just fine the mercerator pump a little slower to use, it works great when I have used it and the electric valves are super. The slide rollers do make marks but I place small pieces of carpet under each roller as it is coming in and the marks are elimnated. My wife and I love the new windows!  They look super and you do not have to worry about rain coming in and they offer better security.  PC support is super, if I have any issues I just call and Amanda or Kermit take care of everything, very different compared to my expeience with Monaco that was always painful and a fight.  I have found the workmanship on the PC to be far above the other 5 non-PC products that I have owned.  There are always going to be small issues popping up but nothing is ever perfect.  Like others have said, for the money you will not find a better made coach.  The full body paint really turns heads in the campground!  Good luck.   Thanks, Ron
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 12:50:36 pm »

We with an older 2007 model, my wife and I both agree that flourecent lighting provides a "cold" feel to the interior rather than a warm feel as would be with incandescent lighting.  But flourecent was chosen in the industry to provide more light with less energy.  I understand some PCs made around 2010-2011 have a combination light fixture with both flouresent and a small incandescent for mood lighting.  That sounds like a nice feature.

Are these the latches you are all talking about?

Our 2007 has this type and we have broken a couple over the years.  We soon got with the program on how to avoid the break, most often with the male portion.  With a dozen free from the factory back in the day, we have enough to last as long as the rest of the motor home.  Our latches work well with no door rattling or opening on their own.  If yours do, the latch likely needs adjusting, or you lost a door bumper pad similar to this.

Our near 6 year old mascerator pump still works well though there is a little dripping by the pump only while pumping, seemingly harmless so far.   I really appreciate the mascerator setup.  If I ever have trouble with mine, I will keep it the same, just making repairs to be good as new.

About a few little things seemly odd like the screws sticking out as you have mentioned.  Don't let those few odd things darken your over-all evaluation because they are not representative of the rest of the rig.  All motor homes are heavily hand-crafted with such little quirks expected.  If you can easily remedy the little things, then I wouldn't get hung up on them.

About PC slideouts in general.  Our rig has zero so I have no experience with them.  But I hear on other forums that mechanics who work on motor homes, say that PCs have the best made in the industry.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:55:41 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 01:00:02 pm »

As for the lights I installed rope lights for watching TV. Easy on the eyes.

See- um  here.   

http://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php/topic,484.msg2934.html#msg2934

Installed 12v in the slide and 110v just over the slide. One picture shows a rocker switch for the 12v.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:04:21 pm by billy » Logged

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: