Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: PC Projects Over Winter  (Read 1971 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2013, 10:25:32 am »

Hey All,

It's time to be thinking about a few changes off season.  One matter that has always bothered me is the location of our backup camera monitor.  I often hit the monitor with my head when getting in or out from the driver seat.  Given the center mirror serves no purpose, I'd like to mount the monitor where the mirror is, and do without a mirror.  This would move the backup camera much more forward, surely out of my way.  Also, the monitor would be better viewed there.

Once done, I'd like to mount a ScanGauge on top of the monitor, but I question if the cable that comes with the ScanGauge is long enough.

Has anyone here removed the mirror and mounted the monitor there?  If so, how did you do it?  Where did you get the mirror-style bracket from?
Also, have you mounted a ScanGauge there?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:46:51 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:31:30 pm »

Ron,
We did that and posted a picture in March of this year. We got the 8" extension from Kayalu. It was $29.95 plus shipping. It works out really well.

George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 54
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:23 pm »

Ron,
  Looking at your  picture, I mounted my Scan Guage on the dash, at the top behind the shift lever.  Mounted with velcro.  I removed the dash face and drilled a hole for the wire.  Fed it down to the plug.  If you mount it up where the rear view mirror is, you will have to take your eyes off the road to see it.  Also, for resetting it and changing to view your different readouts, it will be a reach and again eyes off the road.  Just my thoughts.
    Bob
LRS

Helpful Rating: 5
________
PurchDate: Nov. 2009
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: dk. camel leather
ExtColor: rust full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 06:12:23 pm »

The backup monitor in my Sprinter was also in an inconvenient place...felt it was dangerous for me to have
to crane my neck and look up to see it....so had it placed to the driver's left....on the dash...so now my
eyes can look at it and then just move left where I see the left mirror.  Much better! More of a natural
driving level for the eyes.   Smile
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 05:56:10 am »

I did look around the web and found that there are a number of brackets for monitors that utilize the mounting slug for the mirror.  gradygal, I will investigate yours.  Do you have the link to that post of yours?

I am strongly leaning in this direction of replacing the mirror with the monitor, and placing the Scanguage on top of it.  I do realize it's not as convenient for viewing and interaction, but I really didn't want to clutter my dash board.  I got "A Thing" about the stock look.  It must be my Corvette that has me thinking this way.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:58:44 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 12:40:01 pm »

I am on a roll with getting my PC projects done over the winter.   Cheer

Last week I ordered this window mount monitor bracket kit.  I am trying to be patient in waiting it's arrival.  You can google "Rostra 250-8088" to find it.

While relocating the monitor cable for it, I will also install an RJ45 cable there as well to accomodate for the Scanguage-II planned which will be velcro'd to the top of the monitor.  That RJ45 cable will go from the mirror area, (hidden behind) across the headliner, down the driver door pillar, down to the OBD-II area.  This way I can easily unplug the Scanguage-II along with it's original cable for use with my other vehicles when needed for trouble-shooting.
This picture shows the relative size of a Scanguage-II and where it would be on top of my monitor instead of on a mirror as illustrated here.

I replaced my pull-out butcher block cutting board with that 3 compartment wire tray that many of you people have installed in the cabinet.  For it to align right, I needed to add bushings between the glides and the basket to get the floating glide halves on the tray to align proper with the fixed glide halves on the cabinet.  Funny, when removing my cutting board, it never aligned right either, being half out on the one side.  It must have been that way from the beginning.

I addressed my TV rattles by adding thick felt chair glide pads in between metal shields & brackets which made all the difference.  No more TV sounding like it's got loose metal inside, while driving.

The leather dinette cushions are in-place too....so much better than the thicker yet too-soft cushions that my butt bottomed out on.  The thinner but more dense leather foam is more comfortable and provides a larger seat base from the same thinner/dense back rest cushions.  That translates to noticably more leg room.  I also slide out from the leather seat dinette without a fuss.  It's a whole lot better.

When this is all done, I'll be adding them with pics to my original lengthy "enhancements" post in the Tips & Tricks section.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:48:55 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
Model: 2350 Sprinter
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 12:30:12 pm »

Ron:
Going back to replacing the butcher block cutting board .... WHAT WIRE BASKET ????

I would never use the wood cutting board, but additional storage of the baskets would be great.

Are there pictures posted anywhere of the basket ??

Carol

Vince & Carol Power
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 12:39:24 pm »

Somone has pictures on the forum.  I take Zero credit for this great idea.  Was it Gradygal's initial idea?  I may have that wrong.  Maybe it was Barry-Sue, maybe TomHanlon, maybe someone else.

The wire basket is a 3 compartment tray, just about the size of the butcher block cutting board.  The tray is silver, sold at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  Click Here To Get There.  It is ideal for cooking utensils and such.

I wish there was a clean way of restyling the galley base cabinet so those 3 drawers under the stove to the right look nice out in the open without a door covering them.  Drawers behind a cabinet door are quite the irritation.  The right door looks nice, but extremely impractical.  Compounding the problem, with the door open and any drawer or cutting board extended, it blocks access to our fridge and bathroom.  If I were to order my PC today, I would insist on combining the center drawers with the right side behind-the-door drawers, with adjustable dividers to compartmentalize them.  Cheaper for the factory and better for the customer.  Pitch the pretty symetry as seen here and give me 3 massive easy access drawers with adjustable compartments.  Vertical boards with grooves is all that would be needed for that.  Maybe it's something I can get my brother-in-law to do for me.  He is a cabinet maker.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:04:53 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 02:03:03 pm »

Carol,
Yeah, it was us!! I never used the cutting board when we had the 2350, so when we got the 2551, we took out the cutting board and replaced it with the Bed Bath and Beyond basket. First thing we did when after we picked up the 2910 was to head to BBB and get another
It's great. That's where I keep my serving utensils, corkscrew and rolls of foil and Saran wrap. One of the best mods that we have made.
There are pictures of it somewhere.

Judi

Punta Gorda FL
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 04:03:58 pm »

Thanks Gradygal/Judy.  Without actually on a trip yet to utilize it, I can already see this being a good modification, better meeting our needs.  Ron

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 04:48:08 pm »

When Gradygal posted the basket, I asked my wife if she wanted it. She said no because she uses the board as a shielf/counter space for hot pans, etc. So I missed out on another mod. Sometimes I think she doesn't understand why I bought this PC.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 06:04:02 pm »

The right door looks nice, but extremely impractical.  Compounding the problem, with the door open and any drawer or cutting board extended, it blocks access to our fridge and bathroom.  If I were to order my PC today, I would insist on combining the center drawers with the right side behind-the-door drawers, with adjustable dividers to compartmentalize them.  Cheaper for the factory and better for the customer.

Ron,
    I actually like the galley like it is because we replaced the drawers with a pull out pantry and that door hides the pantry nicely.  Also with the double slide there is no blockage of the aisle or bathroom in the 2551 with that door open.  I think it all depends on what model you have.  If I had larger drawers there I would tend to overload them and then have problems with the glides.  Just my opinion on this one.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
Model: 2350 Sprinter
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 07:48:03 pm »

Wow so many wonderful ideas. 

Sue: Really Love the pantry idea, although with us having the 2350 I would have to hang a pot rack from the ceiling to fit my pots and pans  rolling on the floor  but I love the pull out pantry's.

Tom: I can appreciate having the butcher block for hot pots and pans ... you will just have to try for a different mod ha-ha !

Judy: I really, really love the idea of the basket and  especially the storage for foil and zip lock bags etc .... and you just reminded me to put the corkscrew in the the 2350  Cheers

Poor Vince, I think his head is spinning afraid that I might ask for next  Grin !

Vince & Carol Power
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 08:57:37 am »

The right door looks nice, but extremely impractical.  Compounding the problem, with the door open and any drawer or cutting board extended, it blocks access to our fridge and bathroom.  If I were to order my PC today, I would insist on combining the center drawers with the right side behind-the-door drawers, with adjustable dividers to compartmentalize them.  Cheaper for the factory and better for the customer.

Ron,
    I actually like the galley like it is because we replaced the drawers with a pull out pantry and that door hides the pantry nicely.  Also with the double slide there is no blockage of the aisle or bathroom in the 2551 with that door open.  I think it all depends on what model you have.  If I had larger drawers there I would tend to overload them and then have problems with the glides.  Just my opinion on this one. Sue
I can see the slideout pantry utilizing the door beautifully.  But for me, 3 nice wide kitchen drawer built well and using the heavy duty glides in place today, would handle much weight.  Much more weight than we'd be putting in.

You are right about the newer slideouts.  It does make sense that the fridge moves out of the way of all the drawers and such, allowing access to get around open drawers.

I will give this mod some serious consideration.  It all starts with wide drawer fronts of the right size and of the right finish.  I will ask the factory if they can have 3 drawer fronts made to my requested size.  Either me or my brother-in-law could build stronger than typical drawers.  The more I think about this, the more I think I could do it myself.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:03:57 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 10:33:11 am »

Carol, I found the photo of the BBB basket that is mounted in our 2910 in place of the cutting board.

Judi

Punta Gorda FL
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: