Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Satellite TV  (Read 508 times)
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:41:16 am »

Ugh!  Time-Warner just jumped our monthly cable/phone/internet bill over 26%!    Considering satellite.  Is there an advantage between DirecTV and Dish TV for RVers? Assume both offer some way to connect to the internet a cable/phone/internet package?  Is the satellite part a do-it-yourself project to set it up for an RV?

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 61
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:17:55 pm »

GoPhoenix,
    Just my thoughts about Direct vs. Dish.  We have had Direct for 5 years and love it.  Easy to use and have never had a problem.  Our Daughter has Dish and I find it confusing to use and it has to be reset, for me, too often. 
    Do not know where Trenton, Ohio is but I was born and raised in Lima. 
     Bob

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:03:40 pm »

Ugh!  Time-Warner just jumped our monthly cable/phone/internet bill over 26%!    
That's a big increase....Wow.

Up until 2004 we were antenna TV people, and even then our cable service was generic.  After some years of cable, we switched back to antenna TV which demonstrates the impotance of TV for us.  We do enjoy movies so we have a hefty collection.  We try hard to keep each movie purchase under $5, most often around $1 to $3 per movie.  The non blue ray movie duplicates are stored in our PC.

For Internet service, we have U-Verse by AT&T.  It's not the fastest available but works well for home internet.  That is until.....

In an effort to further reduce our monthy services, we switched our house phone to Net-Talk.  It's the same type as Magic Jack.  It costs $30 per year for unlimited phone calls in the USA & Canada, peanuts compared to conventional phone service.  Unfortunately because our internet service is on the slow side, Net-Talk gets quirky.

Because Net-Talk is quirky, when our cell phone contract is up, we will consider getting a different cell phone contract with unlimited phone usage.  Then we will consider dropping the house phone completely.

I HATE monthy bills...period!  I have to accept gas, electric, internet, Visa, and a single phone bill.  There are enough bills that come randomly and bi-annully.  

I could not imagine subscribing to services such as satelite radio unless I lived where there was no antenna radio around.

Funny though, we worked hard to cut down on monthly services so my wife now has us joining a health club with a monthy fee.  At least that one is a great investment in our health & our ballroom dancing.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Jan and Dick

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: 5/23/12
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:43:22 pm »

We have Dish at home for our TV service.  We dropped cable years ago because they did not carry the BIG TEN network.  We have been resonably satisfied with Dish.  Had to trim a few trees a few years back but that is about it.  When we bought a 2012 2551 in May, I negotiated a satellite dish as part of the deal.  Phoenix installed the dish for us at the factory.  We attended the Good Sam Rally in Louisville where we took part in a Dish Seminar.  I found out that since I was already a Dish customer I could add my own receiver to my plan for 7 bucks a month.  I bought the receiver at Camping world and installed it my self without to much trouble.  We plan on using it this winter to watch Purdue basketball in Florida.  If you do not have a satellite receiver installed on your unit you might want to look into Dish's Tailgater unit.  It is less expensive and could be totally installed by your self.  It also would have the advantage of moving around to find a clear view of the southern sky since it is not permanently attached to your motor home.  Dish also has special plans for motor homes if you do not have it at home.  I cannot comment on internet or phone.  We get our internet through AT&T along with our land line.  We just invested in a wireless hot spot from Verizon for our internet while we are in the motor home.  Hope this helps.  By the way you will have to use cable or the antenna for local TV channels, since Dish only gets local channels for the area around your home.  Dish has a special section on their WEB site just for RV's.  They also have specialized customer service for RV customers.

Dick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: