Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sofa bed & air mattresses in 2400 PC  (Read 1010 times)
jandmhilton

Helpful Rating: 1
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: February 2011
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: umber
ExtColor: umber
________

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:56:26 pm »

We'd like to hear from anyone who has had the factory switch out their airmattress sofa for something else that does NOT  use an air mattress.  We have been through many blow-ups, mostly from BB&B aerobeds, and on our 3rd one from the factory.  We are ready to make the switch.  Please let us know how that went, what bed you have and how pleased you are with it.  Our email is marymhilton70@gmail.com, or on this site - tho our internet capabilities have been sketchy on this trip.  Thanks!
bhgareau

Helpful Rating: 5
________
PurchDate: 05/12
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: dusk
ExtColor: sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:03:08 am »

We have a 2400 that came with a memory foam couch that converts to a queen size bed. We find it to be very comfortable.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 295
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:54:52 am »

We too are looking to change out our couch but the memory foam one that factory puts in is too deep for me to sit comfortably in.  I also really like having the under couch storage so we visited a company while in FL called Glasstop and are looking at something like the following--
http://www.glastop.com/rv-furniture-detail.asp?id=434
They custom make these to the size you need and can eliminate the arms if you do not want them.  They are really comfortable and will make the seat depth whatever is necessary for your comfort.
We will check with the factory when we get home but I think there are options available.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Awilson

Helpful Rating: 8
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: March 2009
ModelYear: 2006
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: White and Tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:19:38 pm »

We have not been happy with our bed in our 2400 but I think that is the good and bad of the 2400. We have plans to replace the barrel chairs and have the bed redone with new foam and covering. We tried the new couch but didn't like it that well either. The air mattress resides in the basement after only two nights on it. We just didn't like it. We really like our 2400 and, like Ron, we plan to keep it and make what is good even better. We currently have memory foam we put on the bed every night but that gets to be a real drag getting it out and putting it back every day. It will be awhile before we have time to do it but I hope to let you know how it works.

Alan and Diana
JackD

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: May 2012
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 01:29:08 pm »

We are experts on this, as most everyone knows who followed this board in the past!!! The mechanical sofa in the 2400, with the air mattress was AWFUL! I won't go into all the details, but I'm sure you have the same complaints.  In short, the good folks at Phoenix changed the air bed completely with an electric, memory foam sofa bed that was easier to open and much more comfortable!!! I believe they are now installing only the electrics with memory foam.  There is a charge for the replacement, since it does involve a pretty full days labor, but in my opinion well worth it.
We have since traded the 2400 for a 2350, with memory foam & electric, and are very happy "campers"

Jack
jwhyt10

Helpful Rating: 3
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 12:16:39 pm »

We had the factory replace the sofa in our 2010 2400 in the fall of 2011 after going through a number of air mattresses.  The couch sits a little higher and sticks out a little further, neither of which was concern for us.  It is a real pleasure to be able to sleep through the night without the bed losing air, or bouncing around when my wife moves.  The foam bed is very comfortable but it is well worth the cost of replacing it.  We arrived in Elkhart the night before our appointment left the unit at the factory (they start very early) and stayed in a motel.  The job was done in the early afternoon and we were on our way south. 
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 169
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:06:46 pm »

Funny story about that sofa air bed.

When the jack knife sofa was replaced with it some time around 2009-2010, I was perplexed that so many people praised the air bed.  I thought, "Wow, that must be some kind of magical air bed", for every air bed I ever slept on was horrible.  Fast forward to today and everyone is despirate to replace them.

The memory foam sofa bed makes a lot of sense.  Congrats to all who have one.

Given our no-slide dinette, we never had any type of sofa bed to provide 1st hand experience with.

Like Awilson is practicing, it is financially wise to change what's wrong with your PC, than replace the motor home itself, as long as the general floor plan is working properly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:11:50 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Awilson

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 06:55:43 am »

I will try to respond again. For some reason it works and works on trying to post my comments and then tells me there is no response from the server. It then makes me start over completely. From the begining! So this will be short.

I am doing just as Ron says I am doing. It seems foolish to spend $80k difference to buy a unit that is a few feet longer and I still have to put $$ in to get what I have now. I will spend $5k now and add to what i have and what I know amd put $80k towards my next trip. Think where I can go with that!

Anyone refurbishing their jackknife bed let me know how it works out. I know I can buy a new one with the latest and greatest upgrades but I am thinking I want changes of my own and more on a custom pad and re-upholstry job.

Alan and Diana
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:07:25 pm »

We had the 2012 - 2350 with the air mattress couch bed and when we were going through my problems with the mattress on our main bed .... I tried the couch air mattress but Vince said that if either of us got up we would shoot the other one off the bed  Grin. It wasn't to terribly comfortable but it was better then our corner bed .. until we fixed it.

Our 2013 - 2350 has the electric memory foam couch/bed.  Could not be more easy to open up and I guess the bed doesn't seem bad ... but I think with the shape of the cushions when they come down ... looks like you would still need a top foam to make it smooth and comfortable ... but I agree that it beats the air mattress hands down.

But shhhhhh we don't want anyone to know that we have an extra bed  Smile Smile

Carol

Vince & Carol Power
JackD

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: May 2012
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 10:02:40 am »

Ron...

You're so right! I too wondered how so many thought the air mattress was "okay".  I couldn't put up with it and made so much of a fuss, I think the factory changed to the electric sofa bed on new models.  This is just one more example of how great the folks at Phoenix are, and how they respond.
Jack
Awilson

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 04:41:35 pm »

Jack...

PC has evidently had the electric model of sofa for a while as I have one that is a 2006 with one in it. I don't relly know their history that well but that is the sofa that I want to refurbish. I talked to Kermit about what it would take to do that and they have a guy that can rebuild it for us. $$ The other option was to have a new one purchased and installed but my fear in that is the new one might be good the first 50 nights and then maybe go down hill from there. I want to know and control how it is built so that I know what is under the material, so to speak.

Alan and Diana
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: