Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cabinet Latches Failing  (Read 798 times)
keelhauler

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit Maple
ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
________

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:36:53 am »

We have a fairly new 2012 - 2552 model.
It has at least 29 cabinet latches.
They are starting to fail, several stick and don't open, on several the plastic moveable part cracked and fell out.
On the backside of these grabber catches they are marrked, brdsupply.com.

Is anyone else experiencing the problem. I found a mention on a website that said Southco Latches were very good but there are Chinese knockoffs that fail. Is that what is happeneing?

I'm in Mexico for another 6 weeks, so it is not easy to get replacements. And if I just get the same knockoffs what good would that be.  sad

John
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:35:05 am »

John,
We have had the same problem with ALL of our latches--we have had 3 PC's in 3 years and the latches consistently fail. We have called Carol, at the factory, and she has sent us replacement latches. Now we have a stash.

I am sure that it is a problem with the latches that PC uses. Down the road, we will probably look for something sturdier but for now, we will keep replacing.

When you get back from Mexico, give the factory a call.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:00:08 pm »

Nice to see you're back in Mexico.  I picked up our 2552 the same day you did yours.  Yes, the latches keep breaking, so I have replaced most of them with strong magnet catches.  The doors stay closed, and they're easier to open/close.
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 01:01:20 pm »

I now replace with magnetic latches. I think I put two on the silverware drawer  which keeps drawer from slinging out as I whip around corners.
kevin
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 11:10:18 pm »

When you get back from Mexico, give the factory a call.
I agree, give PC-USA a call.  I asked to purchase a dozen latches after my warranty was expired, but they sent me a dozen complimentary.  We broke 3 male stems in 6 years so far, getting the hang on how to avoid that.  We have not yet broke the mechanical female portion with moving parts.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:03:55 am »

We just picked up our new 2350 yesterday and the RV dealer was overwhelmed with sales of units after the Tampa Florida big RV show ... they were trying to do a walk through with us and several other people, so being as this is our second 2350 we just figured we would be fine and drove out.
The two drawers under the wardrobe are not working.  The top drawer would not open at all so one of the guys at the RV place who was not a repair guy I guess just yanked the drawer open .. these are the ones that you lift and open .... accept now it just flies open and sticks the bottom drawer opens but you can hear the wood scraping ... it is kind of driving me nuts and I don't want to load yet, but don't know what to do.  Though about changing the entire slide glider but not sure if that will do the trick or not ... any suggestions ?
The dealer where we picked the unit up is 3-1/2 hours away and would not look forward to going back just for that .... any suggestions ???
PS ... Other then that ... WHAT A BEAUTY SHE IS  Heart Shower !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vince & Carol Power
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 12:36:19 pm »

Call the factory.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:10:51 pm »

When we had a 2010 2350, one of those drawers wouldn't open.  Removing the other drawer, I found the back brace on one of the rails (not the one on the drawer) had broken loose from the wood block in the back.  I replaced the rails with stronger ones, and reinforced the connection to the wall.
JoeyD

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 1/16/2013
Model: 2910
ExtColor: Black/Grey
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:17:25 pm »

Carol,
Did you pick your unit up at Palm RV in Ft.  Myers?  You said you live 3.5 hours away... is that north?
Carolp495

________
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 12:09:44 pm »

JoeyD:

Yes we get it from Plam RV.

Actually since I posted that ... my husband has been working on changing the drawer hardware out to the ball bearing glide style slides ... they look like they will work really nice but the drawers were tight and he had to cut them down a tad to make them work ... it had been of a pain working in the tight area but they seem to be very secure and slide really nice.

Carol,
Did you pick your unit up at Palm RV in Ft.  Myers?  You said you live 3.5 hours away... is that north?

Vince & Carol Power
Carolp495

________
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 12:13:47 pm »

JoeyD:

Yes we get it from Plam RV.

Actually since I posted that ... my husband has been working on changing the drawer hardware out to the ball bearing glide style slides ... they look like they will work really nice but the drawers were tight and he had to cut them down a tad to make them work ... it had been of a pain working in the tight area but they seem to be very secure and slide really nice.

Oh, in answer to your question ... we are almost due east from Palm RV .... on the east coast of Florida in Vero Beach.

Carol,

Vince & Carol Power
JackD

Helpful Rating: 24
________
PurchDate: May 2012
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:25:35 pm »

Carol...

Please let me know what your husband does to replace the slide mechanism - I braced the plastic fittings with a steel L bracket for support, but I'm not sure how long it will last. On my 2350 there is no side wood for the ball bearing slide to mount to. That's the reason for the support under the plastic wall fitting.

Thanks,
Jack
Carolp495

________
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 11:26:38 pm »

Carol...

Please let me know what your husband does to replace the slide mechanism - I braced the plastic fittings with a steel L bracket for support, but I'm not sure how long it will last. On my 2350 there is no side wood for the ball bearing slide to mount to. That's the reason for the support under the plastic wall fitting.

Thanks,
Jack

Jack:
We got the 16" soft close ball bearing Full extension slide #885785470749  $12.98@ at Home Depot (. Since they are self closing they don't need any additional latch to keep them closed, they work fantastic.
The bracket #781266294999 frame kit $2.97@
The slide was 16" long but the drawer opening depth was 17"  and the brackets were about 2" long and plastic but very thick and strong which we purchased seperate. The width of the drawer opening was 13" wide but our drawers were 12-1/8" wide so he had  to cute an 1/8" width off the drawers. The drawer hit the bracket in the back by 1" so he had to carve out a u-shape in the drawer 1/8" deep to accomidate clearing the bracket on both sides.
A real pain but so worth it .... easy for me to say, I just watched  Smile.
I can take a picture if you would like ?

Carol

Vince & Carol Power
JackD

Helpful Rating: 24
________
PurchDate: May 2012
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 10:35:08 am »

Thanks Carol! I think I understand the process, and will check out the slides at HD.  For right now I mounted an L bracket under the plastic female fitting on the wall behind the drawer. So far it seems to be holding up, but its well to have something to fall back on.

Again thanks,
Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: