Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Increase Sleeping Accomodations With This New Option  (Read 1138 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 204
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:10:05 pm »

I feel the factory should offer an option for a large cab-over bed.  Not that I would personally want it, but I think the lack of that extra permanent double bed shys away much potential business for the company.  Model 2100 would benefit most from it, but every model would benefit.  Few people will mess with conversion beds when there are more than two travelers.  Families want to simply send their kids up into a loft at any time of day.  It is an out-of-the way hangout place for kids to sleep and play games.  Other people might remove the mattress and use it for bulk storage or a place for their pets.

The larger cab-over bed cap could utilize all other existing body panels so the only unique component would be the front cap itself.  That keeps it easy for the factory and cheap for the customer.

I would also offer "Easy-Pass-Thru" as an option.  Otherwise don't cut the E350/E450 chassis roof for best roll-over protection for the cab occupants.  Very few people will utilize easy-pass-thru just to retain the bed at all times.  The E350/E450 cab ceiling has decent head room anyway.

That was our experience with easy-pass-thru with our old Toyota based rig shown here.  The filler panel was always in-place on trips.
Easy-Pass-Thru Open

Easy-Pass-Thru Closed
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:27:35 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
David J. Rotelle

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: 8/8/15
ModelYear: 2015
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Desert Sand
ExtColor: Desert Sand
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:50:53 pm »

We have had our Cruiser now for over a year and are very happy with it. The only thing we miss that we had in our previous coach (a Born Free) was the cab over bunk.
If Phoenix would make a coach with a cab over bunk I think I would be the first person to purchase one. When we visited the factory prior to ordering our 2351 one of the employees said they build an occasional unit with the cab over that gets shipped over seas?

I found this old post from Ron and agree with him, we also used ours to store sleeping bags, pillows and our children's duffle bags.

Just curious would there be an others on the forum that would be interested in a model/models with the cab over bunk?

Dave

Job 10:10
Carol

Helpful Rating: 67
________
PurchDate: July 2014
IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
ExtColor: Sterling simplified
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:58:58 am »

Interesting revival of an older topic, David.  Thanks (and thanks Ron for the original post).
I personally wouldn't buy one as I love the entertainment center situated so beautifully over the cab area, and when I need spare sleeping space, my dinette works great.
However, I think you and Ron are absolutely right that if Phoenix were to offer a bed-over-cab option, the effort would really pay off in increased sales.

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:56:56 am »

I always thought PC sales would increase a lot if they offered a 2-adult "OPTIONAL" bunk over the cab area similar to a Winnebago View.  I think it would be a welcome offering to most with a 2100 & 2400 which do not offer any kind of permanent bed.  I feel PCs are ideal for a couple, maybe 3.  But with a cab-over bed for 2 more, it accommodates a family so much better than the convert-a-bed does today.

PC-USA once did offer upon request a single bunk inside the B+ cap as discussed HERE With A Picture, but that obviously is limited to a child or bulk storage.

RichardP

Helpful Rating: 20
________
PurchDate: January 2016
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2016
IntColor: Concord Cherry
ExtColor: Nightscape
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 01:42:53 pm »

While an interesting concept, I tend to side with Carol on this.  We have a 3100 and have a 2910D on order, so we are "loyal" PC people.  Sometimes it is difficult to be "all things to all people" and still deliver the quality product we all want.  Also, many of us are beyond the "kids" era.  We do have a 9 year old grandson who likes the RV, but we have no problem in ours with setting up the couch for a sleeping area.  I also think that many ouf us, no matter what the ads say, believe in that old line -- "How many does it sleep?  Answer:  TWO!!!"  If PC is the "...#1 choice in downsizing..." as their ads say, they are probably hitting the market that works for them.  But hey, if it makes them more money...go for it.

Richard
donc13

Helpful Rating: 21
________
PurchDate: 03/2015
Model: 2551
IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
ExtColor: White/Nightscape
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:59:40 pm »

Over the cab bed (s) are NOT a place to put kids or anyone while the vehicle is in motion!

That aside, where would the TV and DVD player go, plus all the lost storage cabinets.

My 2 cents....if I wanted an over the cab bunk....I would have bought a class C.

Your mileage may vary
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:01:21 pm by donc13 » Logged

---
Don and Patti
JimDenny

Helpful Rating: -4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: March 2010
IntColor: Brown
ExtColor: Brown
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:57:19 pm »

Well said!
David J. Rotelle

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: 8/8/15
IntColor: Desert Sand
ExtColor: Desert Sand
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 07:47:21 pm »

I can't speak for Ron but I tend to think he agrees that no one is suggesting the cab over bunk be used while traveling.

Job 10:10
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 08:03:01 pm »

I can't speak for Ron but I tend to think he agrees that no one is suggesting the cab over bunk be used while traveling.
You are correct!

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 08:12:50 pm »

I do wonder if we would have gone for a 2-adult over-head bunk as long as it did not exceed the height of the a/c unit, was of a seamless design like the B+ cap has today, and there were no windows facing forward or upward.  Little side widows like we all have by our sinks would have been very nice for air circulation.  We would have likely stayed with the 2350 model but it would have been tempting to get the 2100.  We did (and still do) want a main double bed with consideration to our age-progressing limitations, but the extra room up there would be very useful, utilizing it we did for stuff and also guests as we had done so with our first motor home.

donc13

Helpful Rating: 21
________
PurchDate: 03/2015
Model: 2551
IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
ExtColor: White/Nightscape
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 10:40:42 pm »

You are correct!

You implied that (to ME) by saying families want to send their kids to the loft at any time of the day to play games or rest.  I accept that wasn't your intent.

But that aside....I have seen lots of Class C's traveling down the road with kids looking out the cabover windows.   I would guess 5% to 10% of the Class C's...especially rental units.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:42:54 pm by donc13 » Logged

---
Don and Patti
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 12:29:34 pm »

You are correct!

You implied that (to ME) by saying families want to send their kids to the loft at any time of the day to play games or rest.  I accept that wasn't your intent.

But that aside....I have seen lots of Class C's traveling down the road with kids looking out the cabover windows.   I would guess 5% to 10% of the Class C's...especially rental units.
I understand.  No worries at all.

When it comes to forums and such, posts are sometimes misunderstood.  The trouble with providing all the detail up front is that posts will read like court documents.  Smile  In trying to be detailed and specific, some of my own posts are occasionally interpreted as cold & arrogant, quoting a personal message sent to me: "Your work is good; your attitude of superiority sucks!"  No implication here at all with you in this thread.  That fellow just didn't understand my way of communicating on the forum.  I was hurt and tried to explain myself, but even that didn't go well.  Maybe he is the person always hitting my "unneighborly" button.  shrug

Oh well.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: