Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Increase Sleeping Accomodations With This New Option  (Read 1554 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 221
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:10:05 pm »

I think it would be neat if Phoenix offered an "Optional" large cab-over class C bed to all their models.  If they did, I wonder if Irene and I would have considered it.  I think the inability to offer that extra permanent double bed pushes families away.  Models 2100 & 2400 would benefit most, but every model would benefit some, again as an option to the current B+ cap.  It is a nice loft for kids to play games, rest and just hang out in their own space.  Other people could remove the mattress and use the area for bulk storage and/or pet bedding.

The larger cab-over bed seamless cap could utilize all other existing body panels so the only unique component would be the front cap itself.  That keeps it easy for the factory and cheap for the customer.  Tumor it up no higher than the a/c unit to keep the over-all height spec unchanged.

I would also offer "Easy-Pass-Thru" as an option, not standard, to keep the E350/E450 chassis roof unmodified for best roll-over protection for the cab occupants.

Very few people utilize easy-pass-thru anyway.  Our old Toyota based rig shown here, the filler panel was always in-place.
Easy-Pass-Thru Open (done only for the picture)

Easy-Pass-Thru Closed (kept this way all the time)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 01:46:47 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron & Irene Dittmer, 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
David J. Rotelle
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:50:53 pm »

We have had our Cruiser now for over a year and are very happy with it. The only thing we miss that we had in our previous coach (a Born Free) was the cab over bunk.
If Phoenix would make a coach with a cab over bunk I think I would be the first person to purchase one. When we visited the factory prior to ordering our 2351 one of the employees said they build an occasional unit with the cab over that gets shipped over seas?

I found this old post from Ron and agree with him, we also used ours to store sleeping bags, pillows and our children's duffle bags.

Just curious would there be an others on the forum that would be interested in a model/models with the cab over bunk?

Dave
Carol

Helpful Rating: 85
________
PurchDate: July 2014
ModelYear: 2015
IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
ExtColor: Sterling simplified
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:58:58 am »

Interesting revival of an older topic, David.  Thanks (and thanks Ron for the original post).
I personally wouldn't buy one as I love the entertainment center situated so beautifully over the cab area, and when I need spare sleeping space, my dinette works great.
However, I think you and Ron are absolutely right that if Phoenix were to offer a bed-over-cab option, the effort would really pay off in increased sales.

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:56:56 am »

Phoenix once offered upon request a single bunk inside the B+ cap as shown here in a 2002 2350.  It was good for a child bunk and also bulk storage.  Note the Ford cab roof is not cut so the bunk is fairly deep.  I would eliminate that large ceiling board and finish it all in the same fabric.....just route the running-light wires behind the fabric.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:54:48 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

RichardP

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: January 2016
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2016
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Concord Cherry
ExtColor: Nightscape
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 01:42:53 pm »

While an interesting concept, I tend to side with Carol on this.  We have a 3100 and have a 2910D on order, so we are "loyal" PC people.  Sometimes it is difficult to be "all things to all people" and still deliver the quality product we all want.  Also, many of us are beyond the "kids" era.  We do have a 9 year old grandson who likes the RV, but we have no problem in ours with setting up the couch for a sleeping area.  I also think that many ouf us, no matter what the ads say, believe in that old line -- "How many does it sleep?  Answer:  TWO!!!"  If PC is the "...#1 choice in downsizing..." as their ads say, they are probably hitting the market that works for them.  But hey, if it makes them more money...go for it.

Richard
donc13

Helpful Rating: 43
________
PurchDate: 03/2015
Model: 2551
IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
ExtColor: White/Nightscape
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:59:40 pm »

Over the cab bed (s) are NOT a place to put kids or anyone while the vehicle is in motion!

That aside, where would the TV and DVD player go, plus all the lost storage cabinets.

My 2 cents....if I wanted an over the cab bunk....I would have bought a class C.

Your mileage may vary
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:01:21 pm by donc13 » Logged

---
Don and Patti
JimDenny

Helpful Rating: 17
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: March 2010
IntColor: Brown
ExtColor: Brown
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:57:19 pm »

Well said!
David J. Rotelle
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 07:47:21 pm »

I can't speak for Ron but I tend to think he agrees that no one is suggesting the cab over bunk be used while traveling.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 08:03:01 pm »

I can't speak for Ron but I tend to think he agrees that no one is suggesting the cab over bunk be used while traveling.
You are correct!

donc13

Helpful Rating: 43
________
PurchDate: 03/2015
Model: 2551
IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
ExtColor: White/Nightscape
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 10:40:42 pm »

You are correct!

You implied that (to ME) by saying families want to send their kids to the loft at any time of the day to play games or rest.  I accept that wasn't your intent.

But that aside....I have seen lots of Class C's traveling down the road with kids looking out the cabover windows.   I would guess 5% to 10% of the Class C's...especially rental units.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:42:54 pm by donc13 » Logged

---
Don and Patti
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 12:29:34 pm »

You are correct!

You implied that (to ME) by saying families want to send their kids to the loft at any time of the day to play games or rest.  I accept that wasn't your intent.

But that aside....I have seen lots of Class C's traveling down the road with kids looking out the cabover windows.   I would guess 5% to 10% of the Class C's...especially rental units.
I understand.  No worries from me at all.

When it comes to forum conversations, we are sometimes misunderstood, especially me.  The trouble with providing all the detail up front, mine can read like a court document.  In trying to be detailed and specific, my input can be received as bold & offensive, and know-it-all.  Oh so sorry to all who take my posts & replies that way.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:33:44 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: