Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Custom Desk in the 2552  (Read 240 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 90
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2014, 06:12:52 pm »

We've lived full time in our Phoenix for over 15 months now and have corresponded with many other owners and soon to be owners. One question that has come up is "would we get the custom desk/cabinets again if we were to buy another Phoenix?" This is a tough one. We requested the desk because we were both working half time when we went on the road. We needed space for two people to work on laptops for hours at a time with room for the mouse and assorted paperwork spread about. We also occasionally needed to set up our little printer alongside one of the laptops. This custom desk worked great for us while we were working. We worked outside at picnic tables when the weather was good but we were fully functional working inside with the desk. One person was on the desk and the other sat on the couch or bed with a nifty little lap desk holding their computer. We retired a few months back so the desk doesn't get used as much (though John is sitting at it now while he works on our blog). We talked about this and came up with the following analysis (hey, he's an engineer and IT guy - we analyze):

Pros: Lots of storage space. We keep all of our office supplies, first aid kit, flash lights, pocket knives, printer paper, Good Sam and other campground books, receipts to be entered into the computer, DVDs, CDs and more in those cabinets. They are handy for the "quick grab" stuff that you want near the door. We stuff computers or bins of off season clothing in the big space at the bottom. We can use the desktop/table to dine on or as a quick work surface for meal prep. It is still John's preferred workspace for lining up all the receipts and notebooks and plugging away at the computer.

Cons: The cabinet bumps the Euro Chair out an extra foot from the wall. Space between the Euro Chair and couch is tight when the slide is in (maybe a foot clearance, enough to get by). The desktop is too big to use as a side table to the chair so we have a little side table for holding John's Kindle, coffee, etc. when the desk is closed. The Euro Chair is designed for kicking back and lounging. It is a tad too short and sloped back so we have to use booster pillows to get to a comfortable height on the desktop. The front passenger seat rotates but it is WAY too low to use the desktop as anything other than a place to set things. You can't work on a computer from there. The height issue is the same for using the desk as a dining table. Doable, but not perfect.

So, our conclusion - no, we would PROBABLY not get the desk again, BUT we'd get the same cabinets that come in the 3100. We are used to the space constraints with the cabinet. John likes a desk. He likes to line up the notebooks, travel guides, receipts, etc. so that his workspace is organized before he settles in to computing. I think we would miss the desk even though it doesn't get used as much. I suspect that if we did not have the desk, he would be less happy when he worked on the computer inside. We are totally happy with our house so this isn't an issue we need to address any time soon. It is more a thought exercise to help out people thinking about getting the desk. Note that people viewing our Phoenix do not realize we are more scrunched up front. We've often heard the comment that we have so much space. WE know we are scrunched because we've been in PCs without the desk and know what we gave up to have it. We don't regret it.

I took a few pictures to show what the desk looks like. We move the chair around when we use the desk. Sometimes it is on the side so that you block the doorway. Sometimes it is at the end and we deal with the support post between our feet (and it blocks access to the cab). Sometimes John sits angled at the corner... I'm not sure why.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 07:02:54 pm »

Holly,

Very nice summary of the pros and cons of the custom desk. 

We agree with you that the desk could be useful at times but would take up too much space most of the time.  We're happy with our 2552 without the desk.  The way we use the Euro Chair the doorway is almost blocked as it is.  We also use a little side table next to the Euro Chair--it fits nicely between the chair and the side wall.

I'm curious about the blog that you post.  Is it something that Forum members can access?

Happy holidays,
Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:30:10 pm »

Bruce, yes our blog is created through WordPress but is on our own domain spiritofthewoods.net  Anyone with internet access can read the blog. You can also comment on the postings. We are still learning but we believe we fixed the settings so you can comment without putting in your personal information. So, if you do comment, you have to add your screen name or something at the end or we don't know who it is (which is also OK). One friend commented and showed up as "anonymous". We only knew who it was because he mentioned a tennis ball I gave him. Comments are held until we approve them so there may be a delay before they show up. This is a spam control thing.

We post to the blog sporadically though we try to date the postings to when things actually happened. We still have to go back and fill in our first year on the road, what it took to flip our lives over and go on the road, info on our Phoenix, info on the toys we bought for the Phoenix, etc. We play more than we blog but do hope to buckle down soon. We do not tell people exactly where we are for safety reasons. We hope to have a private page that requires a password so family and friends can see more up to date info in case they want to come out and play with us.

Note that the initial(s) at the bottom of each posting tells who wrote it J, H or J&H. We have VERY different styles and perspectives. I hope you find the blog interesting. Maybe you'll find a place that is calling for you and your Phoenix to come out and play! 
Holly

Spiritofthewoods.net
BuffaloRose

Helpful Rating: 6
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 3/3/2014
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
________

Earl & Rose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:05:03 pm »

I stumbled across your blog (don't recall how) but I loved it. It is so informative and well written. I even created  a shortcut on my iPad so I could read more.  I was intrigued with your observations on the pacific coast since we may be doing that trip in 2015.  I was very impressed with your writing.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I truly admire what you've done and wish we had the courage to try it. Safe searching!

BuffaloRose
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 12:59:51 am »

Thanks for the great input on the blog. A few comments on camping the Pacific Coast, all of which need verification.
- We were told by a California resident that you can legally pull off any state highway (NOT interstate) and camp for up to three days. We did see RVs lined up on a road running parallel to Rte 1 when we were north of Monterey. Someone here on the forum said there were signs designating boondocking areas down by Big Sur, south of Monterey. Most of the pull off areas we saw along Rte 1 were posted "no overnight parking" so those were out.
- We ran into two couples that were surprised at the signs in California. They said they had just boondocked ALL the way down the coast of Oregon by simply pulling over and setting up. With this in mind we started watching the pull offs along Hwy 101 and saw quite a few really nice paved or gravel pull offs or full parking areas with gorgeous ocean views that DID NOT have "no overnight parking" signs. We also saw some areas that had the signs so it implies that areas without the signs are good to go. We did see motorhomes pulled over with slides and steps out, etc. but as we were traveling mid-day, we can't be sure they weren't just there for a rest stop.
- Some of the pull outs in both states are designated for slow moving vehicles to use to allow passing so you would have to watch that.
- There are a LOT of national forests out here so disbursement camping is a possibility. We just didn't check into it this trip.

We have primarily camped in state parks since we hit the coast. California was about $35.00 night with no hookups. Oregon is about $24.00 for water/electric and $26.00 for full hookups. Both states have beautiful parks. As we get deeper into winter we are angling for at least electric hookups to deal with the cold and wet but are pleasantly surprised that the temps are mostly in the 50's  and 60's both day and night with a few bright sunny days tipping us into the 70's. We hit near freezing a few nights down in the redwoods but that seems to have been an unusual drop for that time of year.

Depending on when and where you go, you might want to consider a dehumidifier. We bought a small Eva-dry shortly after hitting Oregon. We need it just to dry out our rain gear. Otherwise we fog up the windows inside.

Speaking of windows. The ultimate test of whether the thermal windows make a difference - YES! Our nice warm house meets the cool, outside air at the glass. Our humidity is frequently high in here after having the door open and dragging in our wet gear. The house windows are clear and dry but the condensation is dripping off the inside of the truck windows. If we haven't run the heat and dehumidifier, we have to mop the truck windows off before driving because we can't see out. I'll know I've succeeded in insulating the house from the cab when I stop the condensation. I'm on a mission.

Spiritofthewoods.net
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 08:58:38 am »

Oh Holly,

I read your post here and then visited your blog and read through some visits and then your epiphany.

What are you doing to my brain?  

We turned 56 years old earlier this year.  I am tiredly working a job on a computer in a cubicle at the same company for over 35 years.  At home our kitchen face-lifting project here refuses to go back together smoothly.  Our lives are so busy that we missed Irene's weekly M.S. Avonex injection the past two nights.  We are "Tired" people.  I escape to a couple of RV forums to break away.  Then I read about Holly and John, knowing our PC is just 15 seconds away from this laptop.

Thank You for sharing that.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:06:58 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:09:57 am »

Sorry Ron! I don't know if this will be comforting or not but you'd probably have to give up that beautiful house and all the special things you have in it to do what we did. Ours is rented out but we aren't going back. It will stay rented as long as it keeps paying for itself and then will be sold. We've realized it's too big and the area we lived in (to be near decent jobs) is too expensive for retirees. Our next house, once we don't want to wander anymore, will be small and in a quiet, less expensive area.

Another thought, that may or may not comfort you, is that we envy you. You have all these creative and repair type skills (like the kitchen) that we are sorely lacking. You also have the motivation to keep getting stuff done. We're pretty bad at that.

As for destressing, even if it in place - find a way to do it. I have health issues now that can trace directly to the stress in my former job. I didn't quit when the doctor told me to. I had outside volunteer activities that ate up my time and my sanity. I was wallowing in stress and was miserable and grabbed that life ring when John offered it. It scared the tar out of him at first but we don't regret it and are NOT looking back. 

Spiritofthewoods.net
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 10:37:34 am »

Holly,

We have more than PCs in common.  Our involvement in charities is a big time consumer and a joy to be a part of.  We go along trying to do life right with a vision for a lifestyle without my distracting full time job. If only I could retire soon and move on and deeper into what is dearest to my heart.

God is good.  He has blessed us with so much including me with a good and once very interesting job for nearly all my adult life.  A job that allowed Irene to be a stay-at-home mother.  I am not complaining here.  Life has been a blessing even with all the hardships lumped within to groom us better.  But I do dream for a different kind of "better" as I am getting tired of the typical work day pulling me away.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:40:55 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 01:03:20 pm »

Holly,
Thanks for the info on your blog.  I went immediately to the post on the Monterey Bay Aquarium since we have a home nearby.  We're members of the Aquarium and walk our dog Sparky along the nearby trail almost every day.  Happy to hear you enjoyed your visit.
It's fun to read about the other adventures on your trip, too.  We've been to some of the same places.  So, your experiences bring back memories and motivate us to explore some more.
We're different from you about where to spend the winter as we're now in the Palm Springs area for the season.  We know that California needs some serious rainfall this year to recover from the drought conditions of the last few year, but it's nice for us to hear about the rain and not live in it.  Our kids and friends in Pacific Grove are looking after our house while we're away.  Unfortunately some family members' homes have already suffered damage from falling trees caused by the recent storm.
Happy holidays,
Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 01:55:21 am »

Hi Bruce! We hadn't realized you lived right there until after we had moved on up to Napa Valley. Then Mike told us we should look you up and we realized we had been within a mile of you. We now have a mental image of where you are and will try to touch base next time we roll through. I'm glad to hear your house came through unscathed. It's never good to hear about problems when you are away.

We got hit with one of those heavy storms and are glad to report that all the pieces of the Phoenix were still attached when it stopped blowing - we checked. A couple of those wind gusts felt like they could roll us right over. I had John make sure all the wheels and the jacks were solidly on the ground for maximum stability. Then we just sat it out. We were snug and dry and though there were branches and stuff down all over the campground, none of it came flying at us. The next day was clear, blue and beautiful with massive swells and crashing waves on the ocean. We're just outside of Newport, OR right now.

Enjoy your warm dry air and sunshine! We're actually enjoying our rain - the gentler stuff, not that monsoon thing that hit us.

Spiritofthewoods.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: