Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rust on interior of door frame  (Read 1530 times)
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »

Bill,
We're going to be on Orr's Island Maine in August (and Acadia from 7/29 to 8/3), you could bring her up on your way to PEI and we could convince her that you didi the right thing---see you then!!!!!!! Cheers

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Jan and Dick

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: 5/23/12
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:28 am »

All of your posts prommpted me to check my 2012 2552 and found the same problem rust.  I figure it is a result of my trip down to Florida last winter.  One question I have , did anyone remove the electric step before applying chassis saver.  It would seem that there probably is rust under the step.  I also found rust on other things under motorhome and plan treat them as well.  How far doesa quart of this stuff go?
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 09:44:22 am »

All of your posts prommpted me to check my 2012 2552 and found the same problem rust.  I figure it is a result of my trip down to Florida last winter.  One question I have , did anyone remove the electric step before applying chassis saver.  It would seem that there probably is rust under the step.  I also found rust on other things under motorhome and plan treat them as well.  How far doesa quart of this stuff go?
I was all ready to apply a couple coats of protection.  It had ben many years since I looked under there and assumed it was screaming for help.  But our step box is hardly rusted, more like virgin metal with a little more than discoloration.  But what really stopped me was that I would definitely remove that step mechanism to do it right.  I figured given our particular situation, it was not worth  doing yet.

Our rig has not seen salt as of yet and stored indoors, apparently why so little degradation.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Jan and Dick

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: 5/23/12
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 03:10:16 pm »

you're lucky.  When I got back from Florida last spring I knew I had rust underneath.  I did not look at the step  box until reading these posts.  I will definitely  do the step box and all the other areas that I did lasst spring.  You just confirmed my thoughts about how to do the job.  I hope i never have to repeat last year's trip down.  I drove the first  60 miles on black ice.  I had no idea I was doing so much damage to underside of my motor home.  Thanks for the advice.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 314
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 03:31:12 pm »

WARNING - WARNING

We called Phoenix prior to using the chassis saver on our step.  The step is bolted on, then the plywood is laid, then the vinyl flooring.  There would be no way to access the bolt heads and keep the bolts from spinning thus never being able to tighten the bolts again.  That is why we did not remove the step.

Also, do not get  the chassis saver on any moving parts because it does bond metal to metal!

A quart does go along way.  It has the consistency of water but does set up quickly once exposed to air.

PS-Our rust is probably from our many trips to Florida in the winter as well but it's a small price to pay.  I'll take rust over snow any time.  Wink
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:36:47 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 05:17:19 pm »

One of older posts dealing with my rust problem

http://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php/topic,1248.msg13939.html#msg13939

Bill and Karen Golden
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: