Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tire Pressure  (Read 2601 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 10:29:22 am »

I do have a question on tire pressure.  Maybe it was already discussed, but is a lot to read through.

If one corner is heavier than the other adjacent corner, would you have different psi for each corner?  Or do they recommend putting the same psi per front pair and same psi for all rear tires?  I know the fronts are most sensitive to unmatched psi.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 10:36:35 am »

Ron

Each tire on an axle must have the same pressure.

Barry
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:39:08 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 10:48:51 am »

When I had a 2010 model 2350 the fresh water tank was under the bed at the rear, passengers side. The gray tank was under the fresh water tank also on the passengers side. The black tank was on the drivers side. On my 2012 model 2552 the black and gray tanks are switched as the toilet has moved from the drivers side to the passengers side of the center line. The toilet has to be over the tank used as the black tank. The fresh water is mid way under the passsengers side bed.
If you look at all the layouts you will see the black tank changes by where the toilet is located. You can tell this by looking at the capacity of each tank. PC only uses two tanks, the one 35 gal. that fits under the passengers side behind the axle and a smaller 23 gal. tank the fits under the sani-con on the drivers side. The fresh water tank changes size based on the layout.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 11:01:43 am »

Ron, Each tire on an axle must have the same pressure.  Barry
That's what I figured.  Thanks Barry.

So whatever the highest psi is needed on any one rear corner, all for rear tires get that same high psi regardless.  ThumbsUp
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:06:02 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 11:08:05 am »

When I had a 2010 model 2350 the fresh water tank was under the bed at the rear, passengers side. The gray tank was under the fresh water tank also on the passengers side. The black tank was on the drivers side. On my 2012 model 2552 the black and gray tanks are switched as the toilet has moved from the drivers side to the passengers side of the center line. The toilet has to be over the tank used as the black tank. The fresh water is mid way under the passsengers side bed.
If you look at all the layouts you will see the black tank changes by where the toilet is located. You can tell this by looking at the capacity of each tank. PC only uses two tanks, the one 35 gal. that fits under the passengers side behind the axle and a smaller 23 gal. tank the fits under the sani-con on the drivers side. The fresh water tank changes size based on the layout.
Yes indeed.  Good explanation Tom.

With our 2350, most of the fresh water ends up in the gray tank below it.  At least the weight doesn't shift around much with water usage.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:10:50 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 12:27:00 pm »

Ron D.:

I called Michelin on that very question and they had a very quick answer....take the heaviest corner and inflate both tires (double if rear) to that PSI.   Thanks
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »

Ron D.: I called Michelin on that very question and they had a very quick answer....take the heaviest corner and inflate both tires (double if rear) to that PSI.   Thanks
Thanks for the confirmation.

So it is "Essential" to get each corner weighed, not the axle.

Can a truck stop scale weigh individual corners?  Where does one go to get this done?

gl1500

Helpful Rating: 60
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 01:33:50 pm »

Ron,
   You need to find an outfit that does a complete RV evaluation, including driving and handling.  We took ours to Henderson's in Grants Pass, Oregon.  They did a complete road performance assessment.  After driving, they returned and did a weight check of each individual tire.  Came up with LF 2300, RF 2100, LR 3850, RR 4150 and LS 6150, RS 6250 and total front 4400 and total rear 8000.  Manufactures front is 5000 and rear is 9500.  They recommended front and rear tire pressure of 70 psi.  This was on our E-450.  They also did an alignment check as it was way off.  We added  front and rear anti-sway bars, rear trac-bar and a steering stabilizer.  Made a world of difference. 
   Just for info,
       Bob
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:31 pm »

Ron:

Cat Scales (trade name) are found at most truck stops and they only weigh  "by the axle".  Here in NH the Dept of Motor vehicle do random mobile truck safety clinics/stops and they utilize the individual wheel scales but they are not overly open to doing anyone a favor I have been told.  Not sure what I am going to do to be honest.  Perhaps big spring/chassis truck repair shops offer such a service?  Good luck, Ron G.
jampodd

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 11/2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: sunlit
ExtColor: sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 09:42:21 am »

Bob,
I did the same thing, although I took mine to Mainline Truck and Trailer in Bedford, Ohio. They were trained and recommended by Henderson. Handling was good before changes but improved after. I feel it was money was spend.

Jim

Jim Poddany - 2552
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 09:02:02 pm »

I  think we have the air pressure question answered.. do not over/under inflate,  same PSI on each set front and rear, PSI will vary between each different RV,   Same area new issue

ALIGNMENT  I have seen people get new tires, get alignment and leave it alone as long as tires behave and driving is good..  I rotated tires on a previous RV, had 7500miles on it, tires looked great,, 4000 miles later ate one of my tires on the front..  My PC  had 6700 when purchased, has stabilizer and shock system on it after market. Drives wonderful, am approaching 12000 miles, tires still look great,  based upon previous post and comments I am not going to touch the tires (alignment/rotation) just keep checking and rechecking tire pressure haha,,,, I do plan on getting about two years more on the tires,, mileage will not be the problem, age will be the factor.   Any thoughts on rotating tires. I will do an alignment when buying new tires
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 11:22:06 pm »

I cannot recommend rotating tires at all on any 6 tire motor home.

But if you are determined, then I recommend swapping front tires with eachother, and rear pairs with eachother.  Never split pairs of rear tires and never switch inner tires with outer tires because their diameters have worn down to different dimensions.  If switched, the larger diameter tire will be weighted heavier, ripe for a blow-out.

It seems everyone is replacing tires because of age, not tire wear.  Let them wear as they do and let the load be distributed naturally even on them.  You'll be replacing them because of side wall cracks long before the threads are worn.

Motor homes are not cars.  Different rules apply.  That's the way I see it anyway.  Give me a "disagree" and lower my Helpful Rating if you must.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:23:43 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 09:01:45 am »

Ron
  No I do not disagree,, just looking and seeing what other peoples thoughts are.  These are very expensive vehicles and as some of us know if we take care of them they will last a long time and provide us with a lot of joy. Some people  shop for an answer to a question sometimes,,, I like to see different opinions and then make a decision.  Currently I am going with no tire rotation, alignment with new tires,, just reinforcing  my  decision,,  If 6 people jumped in here and said they rotate their tires the I might reconsider    BTW,,, I keep looking at my garage and dream of taking out about  4 ft so I can park my cruiser in it haha
David Sparks
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 02:15:41 pm »

No rotation here!  If they are going round and round with no bumps or thumps I leave them alone!  Many vehicle makers s including BMW are not reccomending any rotation if all looks good.   Thanks, Ron
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:05:05 pm by ragoodsp » Logged
lghjr
SuperHero Member

________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 02:28:26 pm »

Agreed - wear them out in place, replace as pairs or fours, fronts together and 4 rears together (easier on the differential).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: