Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tire Pressure  (Read 2788 times)
JoeyD

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 1/16/2013
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Black/Grey
________

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2013, 10:04:20 pm »

I did a search regarding tire pressure and though quite helpful, I couldn't find specific data concerning my 2910T.  After having a tire replaced do to a road hazard, the tire adjusted my tire pressure to 90 in the back and 80 in the front.  After leaving, I found the ride to be quite "hard".  What would be the proper inflation for the 2910 w/triple slide?
Thanks again everyone.
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:03:04 am »

joeyD:

On my 3100 I run 72 lbs. in the rear and 68 lbs in the front.  The coach handles very well and the ride is not as harsh as it is with the 80 plus pounds of pressure.  I had the coach on the scales and then went to Michelin's charts to come up with those inflations.  I only have one slide so you might be  coming in a few hundred pounds over me and the inflations should be a little more but I think 90 lbs in the  is way to much and over max for the tires and you will really get that wandering feeling in the front end.   best of luck.   Ron
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:28:24 pm by ragoodsp » Logged
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 330
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 09:27:53 am »

JoeyD

The tires (LT225/75R16) on our 2012 2551 are rated for a max inflation pressure of only 80 pounds and we run 72 pounds front and rear.  Not sure if PC uses a different tire on the 2910's.  Also, max pressure is printed on the side of each tire.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
dickreid1

________
PurchDate: Feb. 2012
________

All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:29:49 pm »

Joey D

I weighed my 2910D and according to the Michelin chart set the front tires to 75# and rear duals to 80#.

Dick
JoeyD

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 1/16/2013
ExtColor: Black/Grey
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:49:02 pm »

Thanks everyone, you folks are the best.  I'll knock my mine down to 75 front and 80 rears.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 12:37:13 am »

JoeyD,

Assuming you have the same tires as most PC owners do, the max tire pressure as stated on the tires is 80 psi.  You don't want to exceed 80 psi.

PC-USA places a sticker on the driver door frame that states what the tire pressure should be for your particular model PC.

On my 2007 PC-2350, the sticker says 60 psi for the rear tires, and 65 psi for the front tires.  But I add an extra 5 psi all around because my tires visually look a little under-inflated and also to save a little gas.  But more air = harder ride.  I once tried 80 psi all around and the rig hit every crack in the road real hard.  Needless to say, at our first stop I let out some air.

I keep procrastinating, but I should weigh my rig while on a trip and find out from the tire manufacture's website what the tire pressure really should be.

Oops...I see I have repeated much of what others have said.  Then you heard it twice or thrice.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:41:32 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
BarbRN

Helpful Rating: 4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: May 25, 2013
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: beige
ExtColor: tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 09:47:12 am »

So, after much discussion in our house, what dictates the tire pressure?  Tire manufacturer, chassis manufacturer or motorhome designer?

shrug

Seems to me it varies depending on the load and which model is on the chassis and where the weight is distributed with each build.  But then, I'm only a girl. 
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 10:10:18 am »

So, after much discussion in our house, what dictates the tire pressure?  Tire manufacturer, chassis manufacturer or motorhome designer?

shrug

Seems to me it varies depending on the load and which model is on the chassis and where the weight is distributed with each build.  But then, I'm only a girl. 

The weight of the coach loaded dictates tire pressure restricted by the maximum setting per the tire manufacture. The chassis manufacturer has nothing to do with the tire pressure once the chassis has been modified, but the MH manufacturer may have a suggestion restricted by the previous sentence. JMHO.

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:14:58 am »

shrug

It is up to the chassis manufacture to set the pay load based on a number of things like wheels, axles, brakes, fame etc. It is up to the motorhome maker to stay within these limits. The tire manufacture puts the maxmium air pressure for the tires. This is why a four wheel weight is important.

"But then, I'm only a girl". If i was trying to be funny, I would say something about the amount of air given off by the different sexes, but I would never say something like that. Oh, no.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
BarbRN

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: May 25, 2013
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: beige
ExtColor: tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 12:24:07 pm »

So, after much discussion in our house, what dictates the tire pressure?  Tire manufacturer, chassis manufacturer or motorhome designer?

shrug

Seems to me it varies depending on the load and which model is on the chassis and where the weight is distributed with each build.  But then, I'm only a girl.  

It is up to the chassis manufacture to set the pay load based on a number of things like wheels, axles, brakes, fame etc. It is up to the motorhome maker to stay within these limits. The tire manufacture puts the maxmium air pressure for the tires. This is why a four wheel weight is important.

"But then, I'm only a girl". If i was trying to be funny, I would say something about the amount of air given off by the different sexes, but I would never say something like that. Oh, no.

You implied it, enough for me to remember your name! nod rolling on the floor

Air comes from various places don't forget!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:26:01 pm by BarbRN » Logged
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 03:00:15 pm »

I have nothing more to say about that and that's that.  Angry.... Angry.... Angry

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
jampodd

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 11/2012
IntColor: sunlit
ExtColor: sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 03:30:03 pm »

I just had my 2552 weight and they recommended air pressures. Weights were LF 2160, RF 2100, LR 3820, RR 3780. Total weight 11,800, no water in tanks. Recommended pressure were 65 all around, Although I keep slight over 70 in all and it handles and rides fine. I also had new sway bars, trac bar, sumo springs and shocks put on.

Jim Poddany - 2552
ragoodsp

________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 09:00:41 am »

jampodd:

Your four corner info is great and very valuable.  I am impressed that PC has done such a good job of balancing things out so well front to rear and side to side.  i am sure a full water tank will change things some. I would say 70 lbs would be perfect for your coach.  Now I know why my 2551S never handled exactly the way  I would have liked it to....I was running way to much air at 75 and 80lbs!  Thanks, Ron
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 09:57:49 am »

This discussion reminds me of my uncle who years ago bought an E250 maxi-cargo van for camping in.  He said the psi rating on the tires were 55 so he put in 55.  He eventually figured out that his load never called for such high psi.  At home it was around 30 and on trips he added I think 10 psi more.

BTW:  He still has that 1996 E250 maxi-cargo van, and it could pass as a new old-stock van.  You could perform surgury in it today.  He even keeps it up with wax and all.  Cargo vans typically get beat up starting on the first work day. 

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 10:10:53 am »

GOOD THREAD and a never ending argument. Many good points, main point never never underinflate and never over inflate,,, would be interesting to see the PSI on your tires after rolling a couple 100 miles in the heat and running at 80psi, wow,,,, I think every rig obviously is different depending upon size, suspension and loaded not loaded. If you wanted to be anal about it you would adjust the psi every time filled up with gas, used your water tank etc etc,,, too much work for me,,, I do check my air every day when traveling. I adjust couple of psi if going dry camping and vice versa more/less weight.  Another point,,, altitude.. thinner air above sea level,, I do adjust when I'm running around the mountains for a few days.

WATER TANK-??? I think most of us have the 55gallon tank in the rear.. looking at mind, it looks like it extends the whole width of the rear, so that as it empties the weight is evenly distributed on both sides of the rear tires. Now if your straight dumping with hook ups no problem all the weight is gone, however if your dry camping it seems the tanks are mainly on the driver side rear,, so you have now put a lot of extra weight on one side, considering 400lbs  might need to up the psi on the rear driver side a little, especially if not dumping too soon.. Just curious
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: