Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weight overload issue in 2910D duals  (Read 397 times)
dickreid1

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb. 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
________

All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:10:00 pm »

I just returned from an FMCA rally where I got my 2910D weighed on all four
corners.  I knew from previous front-back weighing that the rear was proportionally
heavy.  However, when my report was e-mailed this morning, it was startling to see
how much things were off side-to-side...  890 lbs heavier to the left.

Of particular concern is that the left rear duals were 70 lbs. overloaded even though
there was only 40 lbs of the total 330 lbs of gas left in the tank. All my fresh water
(368 lbs) was used and resided in the holding tanks. That tells me that with full gas
and water tanks, my left duals exceed by over 300 lbs Michelin's maximum rating.

Worrysome!

Before this I knew that the left side was heavy because of two slides, galley, couch
and generator.  An obvious lean to the left was corrected on our first trip to Elkhart.

Also, the fresh water tank under the bed concerned me because it could put well
over 300 pounds leverage outside of the coach body when the bedroom slide was
out. I was assured that the slide mechanism and truck frame could handle it. 
Always set the levelers before extending the slide so you do not twist the frame.

I never tried filling the tank until this week when our water had to last for six days at
the rally. The slide worked. It groaned going out with a full water tank but easily
came in when the tank was 360+ lbs lighter.

Now, because of today's revelation about tire weight safety, my general rules when
traveling are: Carry minimum water. Have empty holding tanks. Movable weight
goes forward and to the right side where possible.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:08 am »

This is the first time I heard that any PC is over-loaded in any particular corner.  It sounds like your planned strategy is good.  Make sure those two tires are maintained at max tire pressure which is 80 psi for Michelins.

On other forums, I read all the time about rigs being over-loaded, some before people load it up for a trip.  It is a very common problem of which there is little one can do about it.

I still need to weigh our rig on all 4 corners while on a long trip.....full tank of gas, full fresh water, and empty waste tanks.  I've assumed that since we are slideless, over-loading is not a concern, but weighing in is also good to determine proper tire pressure.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:53:04 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 92
________
PurchDate: March 2012
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:51:12 am »

Dick

Do you have the weight of the coach loaded with just full fluids, water, fuel, and lp? It would be interesting to see how much load you added to the rig.

Does FMCA provide this weight service at all rallies? Is there a charge for the weight service?

Hopefully, I'll get our 2910 weighed front and rear so I'll have a base weight.

George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
dickreid1

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: Feb. 2012
ModelYear: 2012
________

All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:39:06 pm »

Ron,

I hear stories about corner overweight from the tire sellers and coach weighers at FMCA rallys.  I knpw that it is common for people to exceed axle weight but exceeding tire weight is really rare. I only actually talked to one fellow really having difficulty trying to get his coach in balance so I never worried about it.  That is until I got my four-corner weighing report.

George,

It does not work that way.  You just weigh and calculate the total load based on each tanks content using the weight of fuel, water and propane per gallon... much like a manufacturer does in the design phase. In my case the propane tank was full.  only volume/weight of water and gas was pertinent.  As for the unknown weight of solids in the black tank, it cannot be significant relative to the large overwight issue with the duals.

About getting corner weights, all but two of the FMCA rallys I have attended had a vendor that offered the service.  Cost runs $20 to $40.  Because you only have the one slide forward I doubt that you will have much of a corner weight problem

Dick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: