Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dewinterizing my 2010 2551, need adivce  (Read 628 times)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2013, 03:06:15 pm »

Getting ready to travel to Williamsburg and test out the motorhome as this is my first trip out. I am the second owner of this PC and paper instructions were left by former owner on opening and closing the valves to the water system.   It is all to confusing.  the valves are in back of the bottom Galley drawer. Laying flat they are in the shape of an "H".   Trying to figure out what valves are for the water heater. two are the vertical valves and the middle horizonal is the third one.   So which one is the bypass to the hot water????  The paper instructions are confusing.  They listed winter and summer but look the same to me.   Does anyone else have this system.....  Help!!!
   I also have an inline cartridge water filter system.  I see that all the antifreeze is is gone in it and want to know, before I put in the new cartidge, whether I should run clean water for awhile until all the pink is gone.  I did most of it but still not sure when to install the catridge.  Filter is under the driver's side bunk.  You have to be a contaugious to change it.....
   I thoroughly enjoy this forum and look forward to the Sept rally up north.  Plan to attend Passport America's rally in Tenneesee in June and have other camping plans in the meantime.  Help   Help
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 04:52:45 pm »

Getting ready to travel to Williamsburg and test out the motorhome as this is my first trip out. I am the second owner of this PC and paper instructions were left by former owner on opening and closing the valves to the water system.   It is all to confusing.  the valves are in back of the bottom Galley drawer. Laying flat they are in the shape of an "H".   Trying to figure out what valves are for the water heater. two are the vertical valves and the middle horizontal is the third one.   So which one is the bypass to the hot water????  The paper instructions are confusing.  They listed winter and summer but look the same to me.   Does anyone else have this system.....  Help!!!
   I also have an aniline cartridge water filter system.  I see that all the antifreeze is is gone in it and want to know, before I put in the new cartridge, whether I should run clean water for awhile until all the pink is gone.  I did most of it but still not sure when to install the cartridge.  Filter is under the driver's side bunk.  You have to be a contagious to change it.....

On the water heater issues, the two vertical line are going to and coming from the water heater. So if you want to use the water heater, you open both of them. The cross line of the "H" allows water to flow without going to the water heater. So you want to close it in the summer and open it in the winter to let the pink stuff flow through the lines without going to the water heater.  In short, for summer, open the two vertical lines and close the cross line. In winter close the two vertical lines and open the cross  line.
I would run fresh water through the whole system before moving valves or adding the filter cartridge. I like to add two cups of bleach to the fresh water tank, fill it, pump water through all the lines and then let it sit for a couple of hours. Then I drain it, refill it with just fresh water, pump water through the lines until I don't smell the bleach, drain it again, and the third time I fill it. Now turn the valves and add the filter cartridge. Then I hook up the hose to the outside inlet and turn on the water, open the kitchen sink valve to let the air out of the water heater as it  fills up. Never ever turn on the electric water heater without water in the tank. It will burn the element real fast.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:52:22 pm »

Thank you very much for the info. ThankYou
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 60
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:11:02 pm »

Also make sure the white plastic plug on the water tank (behind the access door on the outside) is in and tight.
When you winterize the PC again, remember to drain the water out of the hot water tank after you shut the 2 feed lines and open the bypass valve.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:05:44 am »

in trying to learn the system and dewinterize the mh, and  I think i got accidently get antifreeze in the hot water heater, so if I open the drain on the hot water heater outside and empty it, would that work to clean it out.  Then follow the above instructions, I should be ok.  Plan to leave on my trip, Thursday and head to Gettysburg, PA and then to Williamsburg, so I have to straighten things out before I leave, as well as check my tires for pressure....Repacking the motor for the season is sometimes daunting.
   This has been quite a learning experience.  In my other mh, there was one valve and it said shut-off valve.   Why don't they color code these valves to make it easier.   Also, when cruiser was build it seems most of the weight is on the passenger side with the fresh water tank and hot water tank as well as the inverter/converter. I only have one slide and still have room on driver's sdie when not extended.
  At this same time last year, my husband was there to advise me.  But since he passed away in May, I am the one to does it all. At that time I had a large C-class.  We did things together.   
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 60
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:14:05 am »

Yes. But there will still be just a little that won't come out. The only solution to that is to run fresh water through it to dilute it enough to use (city water hookup is best for that). Color, smell and lastly taste will be the tip-off.
BTW, we always bring bottled water for drinking and culinary use.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 12:20:34 pm »

The pink stuff will not hurt you even if you drink it. I would remove the plug, open the kitchen hot water valve and let it drain. If it is just a little bit of the pink stuff, I would not worry about it. I rarely drink hot water from the tap.  rolling on the floor Then follow the above instructions.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 61
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 12:32:33 pm »

Deposits build up in hot water heaters and can cause problems if not removed.  I found a plastic nozzle at an RV store you hook to your hose.  The nozzle has a small opening and when inserted in the water heater drain plug opening, it stirs up this debris and helps flush it out.  I do this at the end of the season prior to storage. 
    Bob
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 05:12:48 pm »

thanks for the tips.  I did open the plug and drain whatever was in the tank which was not very much.  Put in some water in the fresh water tank and ran it and it was clear.  I think we are okay.  I have bottled water with me anyhow.   Still have to install the cartridge in the  water filter but going to wait until all the lines are clear.  I only drink bottle water anyway.  I also have a filter to install on the kitchen spigot but goin to wait on that too.
 ThankYou  Thanks again to everyone.  this forum has been very helpful since this motorhome is so different that my 33ft that i traded in.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: