Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Satellite TV hookup?  (Read 1332 times)
Greensleeves

Helpful Rating: 1
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cafe'
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:54:08 pm »

I’m over 13, so I am pretty sure that hooking up my satellite TV will be a never ending puzzle unless I get some help from one or more you… PLEASE! I've tried and... and not much happened!
I have a Direct TV receiver, a KVH Trac Vision and a Samsung television in my 2013 PC. Does anyone have step by step instructions on getting the three “married up” so I can start enjoying DIRECTV when I am out on the road?
Any help would be appreciated…
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:44:37 am »

The info below is from an earlier post I did regarding using a satellite dish.  The problem is that the satellite cannot be used with the splitter/booster installed in the RV.  The splitter/booster takes input from the outside cable connection and the roof antenna and directs them to the front and rear TVs.  When you hook up the satellite dish to the outside cable connection, the satellite dish cannot receive 12v power through the splitter

So, you have to bypass the splitter/booster when using the satellite dish hooked up to the outside cable connection.  The description below is how I do it, it has worked great for me.  I have since run a component cable from my satellite receiver to the rear TV so we now get satellite reception there.  Also, I like that with this setup, we can switch between satellite TV and local stations off the roof antenna without changing any connections.

Hope this helps, Bob A

I have had success in using the outside cable jack for a satellite dish, I tried it in my driveway and it worked!

The issue is that the satellite receiver can't go through the amplifier wall plate because it blocks the dc voltage that the receiver sends to the dish.  I bypassed the amplifier wall plate for satellite dish use as follows:

The back of the amplifier wall plate has three RG6 coax cables attached, from outside cable jack, from roof antenna, to second TV in bedroom.  I removed the coax coming from the outside cable jack and installed it on the back of a feed-through coupler next to the wall plate.  I then attached a short coax cable to the amplifier wall plate where I removed the one from the outside cable and ran it through the wall so I could hook it to the newly installed coupler feed-through as shown in the photo.

So now the RG6 coax from the outside cable jack comes to the newly installed feedthrough coupler, I can either attach the coax going to the amplifier wall plate (as shown in the photo) so both TVs can use the roof antenna or park cable via the outside cable jack as normal, or I can connect the new RG6 coax (shown disconnected in the photo) going to the satellite receiver thereby bypassing the amplifier wall plate.  This is a simple direct way to get the satellite dish to the receiver, a regular spiltter won't work as it doesn't allow the 12v dc to pass through, a more complex diplexler would work, but I went the simple way.

I cut a hole in the cabinet where the receiver will go to run the RG6 coax and the HDMI cable to the TV, the power cable will go there as well.

One problem doing it this way is that I don't get Satellite reception to the rear TV, will have to work on that. 

I seem to have made this sound a lot harder than it actually was to do.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 329
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 01:43:20 pm »

Greensleeves

I could not receive Direct TV using existing wiring on my 2008 PC.

I contacted technical support for both ANTENNATEK and WINEGARD about this situation.  Both companies provided the same explanation, a DC filter is installed within the wall plate to block any DC voltage on the cable input.  The satellite dish requires approximately 12 - 18VDC to power the LNB portion of the dish.  This voltage is supplied by the satellite receiver and is required to pass through all cables and any wall plates that are installed.  This filtering action is what prevents the satellite dish/receiver from working.

Wall plates that are typically installed in the RV industry are ANTENNATEK Part Number 065840 or WINEGARD Part Number RV7012.  These wall plates provide the option of watching TV from the RV TV antenna or from an external cable source but not from a satellite provider. 

Solution.

The existing OUTSIDE CABLE JACK is used to connect to either a satellite dish or to the park cable to the coach and a Diplexer is used to route the signals inside the coach.  Two modifications are required.  First, a new TV wall plate is installed near existing TV wall plate.  Second, a Diplexer is installed between the OUTSIDE CABLE JACK and the existing amplifier wall plate.

The Diplexer is a passive device that combines or separates satellite and cable signals.  In addition, the Diplexer will pass DC voltage on the satellite port but will block the DC voltage on the cable port.  The cable port of the Diplexer is connected to the CABLE IN port of the existing amplifier wall plate and the satellite port of the Diplexer is connect to the TV connection on the new wall plate.  The satellite receiver is then connected to the new wall plate.  Distribution of the TV signal within the coach is a function of the installed Television equipment.

This is the simplest solution and requires the fewest new parts, however, it does present a problem.  Since the OUTSIDE CABLE JACK is shared between the Satellite input and the Cable input there is a chance the Satellite Receiver may put 12-18VDC onto the park cable.  To prevent this the Satellite Receiver needs to be disconnected from 120VAC or RG6 cable opened to the Diplexer. The simple solution to this issue is to always unplug your satellite receiver prior to hooking up the RV park cable.

Hope this helps.

Barry 

Send me a private email for additional information.

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
RichardP

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: June 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2013
ExtColor: Dusk
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:15 pm »

Great responses from both Bob and Barry.  I ran into this problem last summer at our month-long, first-trip in our 3100.  I didn't know the "technical" stuff (DC passing throught the whatchacallit, et. al.), but I got it to work.  Thanks for these really clear explainations.

Richard
yankeeflyer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 03:43:58 pm »

Here is a solution to your problem. Download with pics   http://www.flamingsquid.com/images/satellite_rewire.pdf
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:48:15 pm by yankeeflyer » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: