Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Removing carpet  (Read 1386 times)
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2013, 01:59:50 pm »

Well, after 3 years and 25,000 miles, I am thinking about removing the carpet in my 2010 2551.  Has anyone done this?  I understand that the vinyl flooring covers the entire floor.  I know there must be some staples to hold down the finished edges, are they small enough to be ignored?  What about along the edges at the bed bases, are there the typical carpet tack strips with larger nails?  What about the 2 inch step down to the cab area, is there a finished edge already there or will I have to install one?

Thanks for any help, Bob A

2010  PC 2551
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:24:40 pm »

Bob,

I would call Phoenix and ask them their thoughts.  They could probably answer all your questions.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
Model: 2552
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:34:03 pm »

I replaced the carpet in our previous pc (2010 2350).  The vinyl flooring does cover the entire floor.  The carpet was attached by a LOT of staples along the edges, and you'll need to remove them.  There were no tack strips anywhere in the 2350.  There was no finished edge at the step down to the cab area.  Removing the carpet was fairly simple.  I installed laminate flooring over the vinyl flooring, and that wasn't complicated if you've ever installed laminate.
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:04:52 pm »

I replaced the carpet in our previous pc (2010 2350).  The vinyl flooring does cover the entire floor.  The carpet was attached by a LOT of staples along the edges, and you'll need to remove them.  There were no tack strips anywhere in the 2350.  There was no finished edge at the step down to the cab area.  Removing the carpet was fairly simple.  I installed laminate flooring over the vinyl flooring, and that wasn't complicated if you've ever installed laminate.

Were the holes left by the staples easily noticeable, could they be filled with a vinyl patching material?

I like the laminate flooring approach, but I don't think there is room under the refer in the slide to accommodate the extra thickness.

Thanks

2010  PC 2551
lmichael

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:02:46 pm »

Yes, the holes will be noticeable.  There is a product that is self stick vinyl strips that is thin and looks like wood that could be placed over the existing vinyl flooring.  I can't remember the name, but Home Depot stocks it.  I understand the slide can be adjusted for the added thickness, but you'd have to call the factory on that.
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2013
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:57:01 pm »

The vinyl flooring at Home Depot is very nice and is hard to tell the difference between the wood laminate or vinyl on some of them.

Our 2013 2350 has the new wood laminate floor. It is very nice looking, but if you walk around in socks be prepared to slide to your destination, it is slipery, and we have the darker color that shows every spec of everything on the floor.

Vince & Carol Power
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 92
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:17:39 am »

When we had our 2350 (Sprinter) built, we ordered and had PC install an Armstrong vinyl flooring that looked like the wood laminate. It looked great!! At the time, I think that we paid about $600 and $700 for it.

The reason was that I wanted the laminate look and I did not like the flooring that comes standard with the PC. I still do not like the "tile" look of the vinyl flooring that is still used by PC. The new laminate that PC uses now looks much better.

When we had the 2551 built we opted to take the standard vinyl due to the additional cost to have Home Depot send and PC install the Armstrong vinyl in the longer unit. If I recall, it would have been close to $1000.

So now in the 2910, we have the vinyl "tile" look. I still hate it but cover most of it with rugs that can be easily replaced when they get grungy.

I wonder if, when the slide comes in and out, the laminate would scratch.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:56:05 am »

I wonder too Judi, I would think you'd need to keep the slide rollers and floor exceptionally clean or sand and such would get ground into or abrasion of the laminate, messing up the finish.  I installed laminate in our home office, and it's okay.  Our hardwood floor in our living areas takes a better beating and abrasions can easily be doctored.

When our PC carpet gets tired, I plan to do either laminate or hardwood.  Given we are slideless, I just might go laminate for ease of installation.  But given laminate is a floating floor, I wonder what happens when hitting a bad bump in the road.  I am concerned of buckling after a bad shift in the floor.

Anyone have buckling issues with their laminate floor?

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Carolp495

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 1/2013
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

Best Friends !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:01:42 am »

Ron & Judi:

Re: the new laminate flooring that came in our new 2013 2350 ... we have the slide and it does not scratch the flooring, nor the electric couch/bed that comes down, I think they made provisions for that. On the euro chair they put a felt like padding on the bottom of the chair so that it does not scratch the floor when sliding it out, which is nice but it also makes it so that even though when the chair is secured in the back for travel it still slides around when driving (nothing drastic).

If you have seen the new laminate flooring that they are putting in the new PC's it is a high quality flooring and looks really nice.

I was worried about tracking sand in and grinding it on the floor and scratching it. I have a long runner on the floor and a half circle door mat and a carpet on the inside step (I'm ready  ThumbsUp) but you can't not track stuff on the floor ... but so far so good and I stay on top of keeping the floor clean of fuzzies and sand and dirt.

We "had" a small creek in the floor when you stepped on it up towrads the cab area but it has stopped. We have some where around 1500 miles on the vehicle ...... This is what they are putting in some of the bigger rigs, wood, marble, and tile, and it seems like this is the new wave of flooring .... I would not think you would have a problem with the wood laminate .. I hope not anyway.

Carol

Vince & Carol Power
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 85
________
PurchDate: May 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 12:22:28 pm »

I wonder if, when the slide comes in and out, the laminate would scratch.

Judi
When we ordered our PC, I had the vinyl squares on the wish list that someone on the forum said they got from PC to put under the slide rollers. Stuart was a might confused until I explained it was to avoid indentations from the rollers. He said they use a new "touchless" slide now so no worries about floor dimples. I imagine a touchless slide would solve the worries about dragging grit across the laminate also.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
NHWanderlust

Helpful Rating: 4
________
OwnPC: No
ModelYear: looking
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 04:12:26 pm »

Has anyone installed a cork floor? We put one in the kitchen of our old house and absolutely loved it. Planning on redoing the kitchen in our current home and I'm sure will do a cork floor there too. Once we get a PC and either order it or replace a floor on a new to us PC I'm sure that would be our preference. It has a wonderful pattern and is soft and warm under foot.

Richard & Jackie Whitney
Lee, New Hampshire
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 08:15:56 pm »

A cork floor?  That sounds interesting.  I'll have to check that out.

One thing about our PC, whatever the cost per square foot of flooring, the over-all cost is peanuts as there is so little floor to cover.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 07:45:22 am »

I was in a bar once that had peanut shells for flooring.  LOL Grin

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 85
________
PurchDate: May 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 02:45:00 pm »

Ahhh, Tom, you are showing your age. I was told they can't do that anymore due to lawsuits from customers that slipped and fell... like the alcohol they serve can't get you to the same place.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
lmichael

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 11:35:05 am »

I used bamboo laminate flooring from Costco in our 2350, and I would recommend a harder surface.  The bamboo looked good, but it does scratch (and dent from dropped objects) easier than the harder surface laminates.  In regular houses, the harder surfaces don't usually scratch from running/sliding dogs toe nails.  Not sure how cork would hold up. Never had a problem with buckling or noticeable movement with the laminate in the pc.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: