Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Maserator doesn't work  (Read 1635 times)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:25:59 pm »

Hi,   I posted this before and got alot of suggestions which i appreaciated.  I took it to the RV dealer in my area and found out the maserator is "toast" as they say.  But I can still dump the regualr way which I am used to.  They said it would be around 600 dollars plus labor and is not covered under my warranty.  So I said forget it. 
     I had a problem with the frig as it did not switch over from electric to propane  but they fixed that...
   Has anyone had this problem with the maserator and are they as good as they say....I am so used to the old way. The only thing is that you have to have electric to open the valves but I can deal with that....

Getting ready for a trip to Paducah KY and later in May across the US to Wyoming. Looking forward to the trips.
   Be safe to all travelers.  Smile
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:28:35 pm »

I also went back to the dump hose. Not sure but if you wanted, check with the factory. Might be cheaper. They don't look that hard to replace?

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:39:27 pm »

frecklestweety,

Do yourself a favor and call the factory for a price on a new replacemet.  The cost just may surprise you.  And regarding installation, simply stated, it's something that can be handled by a near novice.  If you can't install it yourself, I am sure any handyman can at nominal cost.

If or when my 6 year old mascerator dies, I will be replacing it ASAP for I really appreciate it's ease of use for dumping.  The bonus to that is the envious audience it sometimes draws at the dump station. Smile
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:46:01 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:00:52 am »

"The only thing is that you have to have electric to open the valves but I can deal with that...."

They should run on the house battery. You do not need to be plugged in to electric. Just thought you would like to know.

I for one do not like using the maserator as it is slow and noisy. I prefer the 3" hose.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
LRS

Helpful Rating: 5
________
PurchDate: Nov. 2009
Model: 2400 Sprinter
IntColor: dk. camel leather
ExtColor: rust full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:53:37 pm »

There is a drip under the macerator pump-----at least
 I think it is the pump part----over to the right side in that area in that bin/compartment.   Talked to someone at Camping World and he did not seem too knowledgeable.  ???   E-mailed P.C. but have not heard back yet.  The C.W. guy said to dump and flush before
coming...since they were not equipped to do that.  Hmmmm...

After dumping, the water kind of flowed down that black pump in a little stream.  By the time I got
home (15 miles) it was just a drip.   
The sensors  must not work well, either, since the inside gauge lights don't seem to change much after
dumping.   Help!    Am hoping some of you experienced folks can offer advice.    Thanks so much!
: )
LRS/FL     
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:52:37 pm »

In a way I kind of hate to post this but will for the mechanical inclined.  I had my macerator in & out several times for one reason or another and did happen to find that by taking what need to be replaced to my local bearing supply there was never a part that I could not get locally and a very substantial savings over getting the parts from the maker (not PC).  That drip is probably from "solids" drying out and damaging the seal on next use. By design there is some small leakage just to lube the seal as the shaft turns.  I also changed all of the brass screws/nuts to stainless even having to make four of the long ones that bind the whole together.  I believe I have read or heard that the hardware in newer macerators has been redesigned to stainless steel.  It is very important to flush til clear with water and when winterizing to make sure that the antifreeze gets to the pump which will then act as an over winter lube on the seal surfaces.
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: January 2008
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 08:51:07 am »

Thetford has a few videos on You Tube. I hope they can help to answer any questions.

BGolden

http://youtu.be/bGmdvMSkoeY

Bill and Karen Golden
LRS

Helpful Rating: 5
________
PurchDate: Nov. 2009
Model: 2400 Sprinter
IntColor: dk. camel leather
ExtColor: rust full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 09:02:29 pm »

Thank you all.  I am not mechanical.  Will watch the videos.  Smile  LRS
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:40:08 am »

The unit just 1/4 turn locks onto the black discharge pipe.  Take one screw out that is on the bottom of the stainless bracket that screws into the grinder unit, disconect two wires (there are disconnect plugs) loosen the small radiator clamp that holds the 1" hose on and then twist the unit off.  I can not believe the grinder portion of the system would cost $600 but who knows?  Good luck
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 01:39:09 pm »

I bought the portable version for a trailer and the whole thing in a case was less than 250.  Dealer may be adding a ton of labor when it's not that much of a job.
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 05:31:53 pm »

FWIW, the macerator is a nice little 'gimmick' and allows some flexibility when dumping, especially for a one night stop. However, we usually stay at a place for a few nights (or more) and I use the 3" dump almost exclusively.
If/when our macerator goes south, it will not be replaced.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Awilson

Helpful Rating: 8
________
PurchDate: March 2009
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2006
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: White and Tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 05:19:06 pm »

I had to replace my pump last year and the most economical place I found to buy it was PC factory. Repairs and kits were crazy expensive.  I am somewhat mechanical and after taking it apart I found mine had a screw cap that had obviously come off and gone through the pump. It was irrepairable and they do not sell components separately and as mine does not have the option to dump any other way I started looking for a replacement. This is how I found out that PC is the most economical place to buy. How much did I give? I don't remember.  I just know that I spent three hours looking everywhere else but PC thinking the dealer just HAD to be the most expensive place to get it.  I now call them first on everything. I even took my cruiser over to Indiana last year to get some things fixed that I broke and a couple the grandkids broke and the factory fixed them all in about four hours. No Charge! I always check the factory first now.

Alan and Diana
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 05:25:13 pm »

There's no denying the PC factory takes very good care of their customers. ThumbsUp

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
JackD

Helpful Rating: 24
________
PurchDate: May 2012
Model: 2350 Sprinter
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 01:22:28 pm »

I replaced the pump on a previous PC, and I can do some stuff, but am not a mechanic, for sure. I got the replacement from Carol at the factory, and at a price less than from Thetford.  I do like the macerator, and use it all the time....to each his own.
For sensors, it is most important to flush with fresh water after dumping, wait until the tank is 3/4 full before you dump, and use either the commercial holding tank stuff or a soap mixture (I've not used the mix but a friend of mine swears by it).  Also, there is a sensor cleaner which might help the error.
Jack
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 03:09:37 pm »

At end of each season, I fill both waste tanks full...twice, first time with bleach solution and run maserator a little to get solution in it.  After a little time, then drain first manual method, then maserator method.

Clean smelling, clean maserator, working sensors, six years so far so good.  I don't expose everything too long with bleach as I hear it can do damage if soaking too long.  Odor control is critical in our under-the-house garage.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: