Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New tries for 2010  (Read 926 times)
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:39:54 am »

i have made a decision to replace my 6 tires on the 2010 2551S this summer, mainly because the prior owner let it it sit for a year and half in a park. No signs of cracks but the tires were manufactured in 2008. four questions.

Is there a trick to getting wheel covers off?

Has anyone purchased tires at one of the large RV shops such as Lazy Days or Campers World? It seems to me that for a number of reasons i am better off going to a group that deals with wheel covers, valve extensions and balancing large tires than going to a discounter like Costco.

Lastly did anyone move away from the tires that came with RV? Mine are MIchelins 255/75 R16 LTX 5 play (three polyester two steel)

Greg Matthews
2010 2551S

What do you do about the spare that has never been on the ground and is also 5 years old?

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 38
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:10:04 am »

GE-MT.....I think you are smart to play it safe and replace your 5 year old tires.  I am sure there are alot of miles left and some say 7 years is the rule  but your life is riding on them so why not paly it safe and not worry going down the road.  There are mnay good brands out there like Toyo, Bridgestone and others  but IMO none come close to Michelins.   Michelins are a little more pricey but the company stands behind their product and I have never had a single problem with  and adjustmnets or even a  replacement.  never any question they just do it.
The front hub caps come off with some heavy prying with a very large screw driver.  I have not had my rears off so am not positive but I am sure they are like my other motor homes in that you will see some dimples in at least two of the lug nut chrome covers, those are the ones that pull off to reveal some slim nuts that you loosen and the entire cover comes off to reveal the stock wheel and lug nuts. 
I would personanlly go to your local truck tire dealer and purchase thru them vs's Camping World since I think they run high on price.   I am sure others on this forum will have differing opinions.   best of luck!
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 08:28:25 am »

All four hub caps are just that, hub caps. They all come off using the tire iron to pry them off, just like a hub cap.  Grin

RV tires have an extra amount of oil in the rubber because the manufacture expects them to just sit a lot. When driving the oils come to the suffice to keep the side walls from cracking. Car and truck tires are always on the go, so they do not need all this oil. If there is no cracking on the side walls you should be OK to keep these tires. For Peace of mind you can drive by a tire dealer you trust and have them check your tires. No need to spend money on tires that could go into your gas tank. exactly!

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
JoeyD

________
PurchDate: 1/16/2013
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
ExtColor: Black/Grey
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:03 am »

I suggest you go to your local reputable tire dealer... they change thousands of tires each year, cars and trucks.  I had to have one of my new Michelins replaced and they took care of me.

Be very careful removing the chrome cover.  It doesn't take too much to deform it.  The person changing my tire was the person was aware of this and took care to make sure it wasn't damaged.
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 12/2012
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 08:41:49 am »

This is one of my concerns since I purchased my 2010 2551 which had 20,000 miles on it.  Tires look almost new but again I don't know about if the spare was ever  used.    I am with Family Motor Coach and have been a member for almost ten years and they have a program with Michelin to save money on purchasing their tires with an authorized Michelin dealer.  Since I am going to travel West in the next month I have this concern also.  Don't know if this is of any help. HiThere
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:49:31 am »

Look on the side of your tire for DOT and four digets. The first two are the week of the year and the second two are the year of manufacture. 0510 would be the 5 th week or first week of Feb. The year is 2010. If your tires are less than seven years old and you do not see any cracks over 1/4 inch deep, stop worrying and go enjoy yourself.  ThumbsUp

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ge_montana

________
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:19:57 am »

This is a follow up. Called FMCA about their program with Michelin that gives a discount on tires. I gave them the code off my tires, 225/75 R16 LTX. She says that they don't have a program for such small tires, commented this is a light truck tire.

That's news to me. I assume all of you have this size too?

But in either case my reason for renewing with FMCA is flawed. Maybe someone can shed light.

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:58:57 am »

As posted on the Yahoo forum...

Your 2551 is a light weight E450.  The load on your E-rated tires doesn't compare to huge class Cs so you are not near the limit of the load the tires are designed to handle.  Given your tires have no visual concerns, I would keep using them until specific issues come up which could be a number of years away.  When you see significant (and I do mean significant) sidewall cracking, cracking in between the threads, uneven or severe tire wear, a bulge in a side wall, things like that, then I would think about new tires right away.

If you won't have peace of mind about it, then spend your money and help the tire industry.

But as for me with our 2007 2350 E350, it has the original like-new-looking E rated tires, now with 17,000 miles.  I have no plans to change them until I see a better reason other than going by the calander.  It does help that our rig is kept indoors when not in use.

Our first rig owned for 24 years, I sold it with tires that were 12 years old.  It too had tires rated for a much heavier motor home.  At the time of sale, the tires did start to develop minor side wall and in-between-the-thread cracks, but too small to be of concern.

If our rig was at the weight limit of the tires, I might feel differently.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:07:24 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 3/26/13
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 11:36:17 am »

Hello,
      The FMCA Michelin tire program is only for Class A tires, 19 inch or 19.5 inch. I know how you feel, I got it also after hearing about the program, I'm looking forward to next Tue. 3/26/13 when I get to pick up my new PC 3100. First MH for us.

Jim
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 93
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 12:09:28 pm »

Congrats--I bet nest Tues can't come soon enough.

You did it the right way--PC 3100 first MH. It took us 4 tries and 3 PC's to get it right! Finally exactly!

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 12:57:53 pm »

KB90MH....Congrats on the purchase of your new 3100!!!  Two PC's and 5 other MH's previously and our 3100 is absolutely the best coach  for what we want to do.  Perfect size, drives like a dream, layout works well, nicely constructed.  Keep us posted post pick up.   Thanks, Ron
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:26:30 pm by ragoodsp » Logged
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 07:37:19 pm »

i have made a decision to replace my 6 tires on the 2010 2551S this summer, mainly because the prior owner let it it sit for a year and half in a park. No signs of cracks but the tires were manufactured in 2008. four questions.

Is there a trick to getting wheel covers off?

Has anyone purchased tires at one of the large RV shops such as Lazy Days or Campers World? It seems to me that for a number of reasons i am better off going to a group that deals with wheel covers, valve extensions and balancing large tires than going to a discounter like Costco.

Lastly did anyone move away from the tires that came with RV? Mine are MIchelins 255/75 R16 LTX 5 play (three polyester two steel)

Greg Matthews
2010 2551S

What do you do about the spare that has never been on the ground and is also 5 years old?

I would surely run it by a Michelin dealer and get his opinion after doing on-line research at the Michelin site. Reason I say that is I just (within last month) threw away a lot of stuff on tires I had printed off, and IIRC as Ron D pointed out, without cracking 7 years is Michelins thought on when to start thinking about replacement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: