Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shall I tow the Honda Fit with a dolly?  (Read 2275 times)
murphy

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2010, 08:20:50 pm »

Hi All,
After ordering the 2350 Sprinter last week I just found out my Honda Fit cannot be towed on the ground.  Does anyone else have a Fit that they tow with a dolly?  Should I just forget about towing or get a different toad?  Thanks, Murphy
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:54:10 pm »

I don't know the details of what year Fit you have, but I just looked at several websites on Google that indicate that at least the 2009 Fit, manual or auto, can be towed four wheels down according to the Honda manual.  If it's an automatic, you have to go through the running through the gears in a specific order, holding your speed to 65 mph, and redo the preceding after 8 hours of so of towing.  You need to look at your owners manual and see what it says and maybe look at the annual Motorhome magazine towing issue for the year of your car, but at least some years can apparently be towed.

Jerry
murphy

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 01:21:29 am »

Thanks, Jerry.  My Fit is a 2010 automatic.  The owner's manual says it can be towed under 50 miles with wheels down if it is put in Neutral after 5 seconds in Drive, then ignition is switched to accessory to prevent steering lock--only in an emergency.  Otherwise, front wheels should be off the ground.  They even say it is best to tow it with ALL wheels off the ground.  It seems not to be the ideal tow car.   Murphy
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:38:59 am »

Honda has always been iffy about towing their cars four wheels down, but this is really strange.  The Motorhome Magazine 2010 Dinghy Towing Guide (available online) which is usually the bible on such things shows the previous year instructions for 65 mph limits and doing the running in gear ritual every 8 hours of towing.  Don't know what the story is, but also understand that Blue Ox is coming out with a tow bracket for the 2010 Fit.  You obviously have to do what Honda recommends to keep warranty in effect, but you might want to find a customer service number for Honda and give them a call to see what the real story is.

Jerry
bert

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Oct 2009
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Umber
ExtColor: classic umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:37:21 pm »

Our experience with towing Hondas has been very good, all automatic transmission. We have used a dolly but found that it is not fun andRvers are supposed to have fun   We previously had towed a Jimmy and a  Bonco11(both manual. About 1987 we towed a Honda civic until 1998 when we got a Honda CRV. We towed it until 2009 when we purchased a Honda Fit.  The Hondas all had auto trans.  Never had any real problems with any of the Toads.  The Jimmy would blow fuses if we didn't pull them prior to towing and it  would also sometimes go into a shimmy after a sharp turn.  We downsized from Class A to a 24ft BT Cruiser in 2007 and then UPGRADED to our 2400 Phoenix Cruiser in 2009.  Phoenix will build one like you want it. The Fit is hands down the best toad we have pulled.  I litteraly cannot tell it is back there without looking in the rear camera monitor.  One thing I would recommend is to have the dealer install the base plate instead of trying to do it yourself unless you are quite familiar with the vehicle.  The front nose of the Fit must be removed to install the plate if you want the "no show" look.  Cost  me $450 installed.  I did do the wiring myself.  RV ers discovered that Hondas didn.t mind being towed years before Honda finally put their blessing on the practice. 

Bert

Bert and Eldora
Simple Song

Helpful Rating: 9
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July 2009
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2010 PC2400
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 04:26:38 pm »

Towed a 2009 Honda CRV four thousand miles last summer without any problem. It's hard to remember the thing is back there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: