Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Picking up our 2552 on Wednesday  (Read 1992 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2013, 07:56:15 am »

Woo Hoo - we are so excited! We'll drive out to Elkhart on Tuesday and will probably be sitting on their doorstep like homeless waifs when they get there in the morning on Wednesday. We're booked into the Shipshewana campground for two nights for system testing and any tweaking it may need then off we go for a casual meander back to Maryland. Our nanny cat stays home this one last time then she'll go where we go. She took her first "walk" in her harness and leash yesterday. That's going to take some time but at least we were able to pull it off with minimal blood loss and stress. We made it all the way from the front door, around the house and in the back door. Baby steps - the only way to go.

Well, soon we'll be asking all those newbie questions and, hopefully, somewhere down the line, we'll stop being newbies and will know enough to answer a few on our own.

EEEEEEEEEEEEE - so excited. (This is Holly typing - John would never squeal like a girl).

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
jampodd

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 11/2012
IntColor: sunlit
ExtColor: sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:22:53 am »

Congrats on your new purchase. We'll have "twins", mine is the same color. It drives great, although I did beef up the suspension a little and also added the option of making the twin beds into a full size sleeping area. Enjoy!! Wave as you drive by exit 71 on 80 in Ohio, I'm only a few miles north of there.

Jim Poddany - 2552
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:08:10 am »

Thank you, we'll be sure to wave. And if you see your PC twin being tailed by a Toyota Prius sometime next Friday, that's us so be sure to wave back. The Prius could be red or blue, not sure which one is making the trip. It won't be attached. You can't tow a Prius four down and we don't want to deal with a dolly. Selling two Priuses and buying and equipping a Subaru Forrester is next on our task list.

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 09:49:57 am »

We just bought a Honda Fit to tow 4 down--and an automatic as well! George was sooooooooo negative about them (too small) until we actually got to the dealership and drove one. It actually looks like our Prius--same color but much more cargo space (or so it seems). Tomorrow, project of attaching the base plate begins.

Congrats on the new PC!!! I am sure you will love it Heart Shower

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
NHWanderlust

Helpful Rating: 4
________
OwnPC: No
ModelYear: looking
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 02:37:56 pm »

I wish this forum had a LIKE button, because I'd hit it about 10 times for this thread! Am I a little strange in that I don't have a PC yet, but when shopping for a new car I bought a Honda CRV mainly because it could be towed 4 down! Congrats guys and Jackie and I hope to be joining you all soon.  ThumbsUp

Richard & Jackie Whitney
Lee, New Hampshire
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 03:54:47 pm »

John and Holly,

So excited for you.  Have a safe trip and enjoy your new adventure.  We were just at the factory on Thursday for a few little items.  All the folks there are wonderful.  ENJOY.

Barry and Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 04:24:57 pm »

Back in 2007 when we picked up our rig at the factory, the only thing we had the factory modify on-the-spot was the clamp-on exhaust pipe tip.  It was exceptionally long, easily bumped into with your shin.  I was also concerned it could catch the edge of our garage door frame.

Stuart went to work quickly, removing the clamped-on tip and had it cut beautifully out back and had it back on in a jiffy.  I later painted the tip to match the rig but the paint came off quickly from the heat.  I then considered replacing the tip with a fancy chrome one but never did.

Do others here have an exceptionally long exhaust pipe sticking out?

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 03:10:45 pm »

Since we will be working from the RV, we will have several sensitive electronic devices on board to protect as well as the RV systems themselves so we bought a Progressive Industries surge protector.  It is heavy duty and expensive so they put a steel plate on it with a hole so you can secure it to the power post to make it harder for someone to walk off with. My question for all of you is - secure it with what? Can you wrap a bike chain or use a big U-bolt on the post with a padlock? Has anyone secured something like this? I'd like to use it but NOT lose it the first time we plug in. I assume all power posts are not identical so the system has to be somewhat adaptable. The manual gives no clue.

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 03:28:31 pm »

Maybe the factory installs them inside upon request.   It might be easier than you think.  Common sense says to install inside just after the power transfer switch.  This way you are protected from both the pole and the generator.

Call first thing Monday morning and ask.  Maybe it will be ready when you get there.  Just pay that extra with a separate check.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 03:30:59 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »

Ron, they have one that can be hardwired in and has plug and play replacement parts and we would have gone with it if I'd known sooner and if Phoenix could have wired it for us but the one I have is the portable model that plugs into the post. So now we have to figure out how to keep it safe. Maybe someday we'll invest in the other one and get Phoenix to wire it in.

Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 08:59:08 pm »

Congrats on your new baby!!!!

Theft!!!!  I realize that we worry about our stuff at the campgrounds,, I have been reading these forums for two years and never had anyone write about getting anything stolen.  I have been to campgrounds which posted not to leave anything laying around.  My experience SO FAR haha,,,  I just see so much activity going on with other RVers, which is good,  being around especially during the day I don't see a problem.  Maybe I'm being a little naive, but 99.9% of the people I have met at the campgrounds are wonderful and love to share the RV life.   yes, I do lock up at night and if were leaving the unit for a couple of hours, yes, I lock my bicycles up if not using,,, but I try not to worry about those things.  It is a shame that we have to think about this,,,
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27:54 am »

The only theft I ever experienced in campsites was firewood and the campsite itself, and I can't call it theft.  More like a misunderstanding.  It comes down to marking/demonstrating the site as "Occupied".

Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 10:38:00 am »

We've left power cords and hoses at the site when we went away for the day. Never have had an incident. And I've been at this for over 30 years.
However, there's always the exception and a surge protector will attract more attention than a cord or hose. A chain and lock will be a deterrent.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 11:39:18 am »

ALL security devices are just a deterrent. A determined thief (or well-prepared thief with bolt cutters) will take it. I'd just like to avoid any "impulse stealing". While shopping online for all the hook up toys I hit several reviews where people commented they had bought the same item several times after the first one walked off their campsite. Hoses seem to be popular... which are probably one of the cheaper items to steal.

lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 02:38:15 pm »

Years ago when brownouts at campgrounds were more common, I saw a guy using buck/boost transformer and he had weird wires hanging out with exposed ends.   I asked about it and that was the deterrent along with the bicycle cable lock.  The wires didn't do anything but also didn't seem entirely harmless - worked too.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: