Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vvvvvvvvvvibration Noise  (Read 3604 times)
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 22
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 10:14:15 am »

My Dear Frazzled 1.....while living on the park bench in Indiana be sure that the other Frazzled 1 is comfortable, but by all means see that Snickers is well protected.  We cat lovers must take care of kiities

Bill G

Bill and Karen Golden
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 82
________
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 05:03:19 pm »

Here is the promised update: Jordan Ford had her for three full work days. Today they pulled a panel off the transmission to see if the noise resonated louder through that port. No change. They checked a few more things recommended by Ford manufacturing then made the tough call to us. The answer is they don't know. They've run all the tests. They've checked everything anyone can think of. They are done. After a full week of going back and forth, several days of working on park benches and a few random nights in hotels, we pick her up tomorrow with no resolution. We are going to request a copy of the full write up that they are putting in the system.

The only upside is that it looks like we'll get out of Indiana before it starts to snow. We weren't sure for a while there. We spoke to Kermit and he is going to take it for a test drive tomorrow just to make doubly sure it isn't due to anything Phoenix put on the chassis. It does appear that we may be stuck with the noise forever. Not our best day.

Eventually we head west for a quick family visit in Ohio then on to Gettysburg to try to get the SMI break assist fixed. It worked for less than an hour before it blew its fuse. When we replaced the fuse it started making all kinds of noise when we tested the turn signals etc. We figure they wired something wrong so we are running with it off for now.

Some day we'll laugh at all this... l hope.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:07:40 pm by 2 Frazzled » Logged

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 06:59:51 pm »

thanks for the update,,, I am assuming that when Ford tested noise still present,,, hoping it was one of those noises when you take to the dealer can not find it, then it goes away,,,, shoot do not know what to say...
sparky
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 07:42:46 pm »

They don't deny the noise. In fact they verbally described it as annoying as hell. They just can't find the cause. One comment made was that maybe all PCs built on the E450 make the same noise but we know from the responses here that it's not the norm. Yes it's a truck. There is wind noise. The engine is loud. But nobody else has mentioned a fairly loud additional vibration noise that starts when you get up to speed and then stays, and stays, and stays.

If we ever find the cause we'll post it here in case someone else has the same problem. We're secretly hoping Kermit is a Ford savant and instinctively knows what is wrong and how to fix it. Sort of an "Obi Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope".

Hey we can dream, can't we?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:44:31 pm by 2 Frazzled » Logged

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
skipper

Helpful Rating: 18
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 01:45:42 pm »

At what speed does the vibration start and it is engine rpm dependent or speed dependent?  And once it starts, does it diminish or get worse as speed increases or remain the same even as speed changes?

Mark
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 03:53:53 pm »

If I had such a noise I would make either Ford or PC or both trade me out of the unit.  For  what you paid for the coach you should not have to put up with such a noise for any reason.  Negotiate with Kermit for MSRP against MSRP and get out of the coach.
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 09:56:00 pm »

Just a last straw thought--could the noise be caused by the tires being out of round?  Tires are not truly round, and sometimes on cars they cause vibrations until they are trued up or replaced..??
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 08:32:31 am »

I agree with Ron--you have a new unit. I wouldn't put up with a noise that cannot be fixed. If Kermit can't help to diagnose the problem and get it fixed, then trade out of the coach!

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 01:22:48 pm »

If that were my coach, I'd try playing doctor myself.

Remove the engine cover and have someone else drive the vehicle.  Get that noise to occur and listen around.  If there is simply too much residual noise, use a mechanic's stethiscope and listen around.  They are sold cheap at auto part stores like Napa, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's etc.  They work by placing the end on metal and listen for the noise through it.  Place the end on various mechanical things that you can reach.  I think you may be able to lengthen the hose using an extention tube to reach more places.

Also use a vacuum cleaner hose, one end to your ear, the other end to various places around where you can safely reach while the vehicle is in motion.  My vacuum cleaner hose has bailed me out a few times with a good diagnosis.  But I never tried what I am suggesting you try.

Safety First
Good Luck
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:30:31 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 02:11:10 pm »

Another thought:
I had a bad vibration in a new car. The faster I went, the worse it got. It took a bit of complaining but the dealer finally pulled the shaft and verified it was out of balance. After the shaft was removed, sent out for balancing and re-installed, the vibration was gone.
Your PC has an intermediate bearing, which means 2 sections of drive shaft. Take a look at both sections to see if one of the balancing weights that are usually welded to it (which can be anywhere along it's length) have fallen off. If so, you should see where it was initially welded, which would be a Ford warranty issue.

Good luck with this.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
yankeeflyer
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 03:21:23 pm »

I agree Bob,had the same problem on another vehicle and it was the driveshaft out of balance!  exactly!
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 09:32:20 pm »

We made it out of Indiana! Obi Wan did the test drive but did not hear the noise He was able to get a thick rubber mat for us that covers the entire cab floor. Bobby installed it over the carpet with the hope that it would deaden the sound. John thinks it did but Im not so sure. I havent driven her yet and the noise is loudest in the drivers seat so he may be the best judge. The floor mat does, however, deaden some of the other noises in the cab so that the combined noise level is tolerable and we can have an actual conversation without screaming. As a bonus, the insulated mat reduces the heat radiating up through that floor and will be so much easier to clean.

We do appreciate everyones efforts in trying to help resolve this issue. We figure were stuck with it and will either get used to it or gradually lose the ability to hear that frequency so we wont care anymore. Maybe it will help keep us from driving too many hours a day. I cant even think what it would take to trade in the coach. Phoenix did so many mods for us to make it work the way we need it and it is awesome in so many ways, I cant imagine starting over.

Jordon Ford did a ton of tests which included putting sensors on the rig in different places to locate the noise. They tested the back, no noise. The center, no noise. The front up under the engine NOISE. They checked everything they thought could spin or vibrate and make the noise. They even pulled out some valve and ran her to see if she made the noise without it yes. They jacked up her rear end and ran her until she made the noise then threw her into neutral and turned her off and the noise continued for several seconds. They simply ran out things they could test. We feel they did far more than most dealers would do. Apparently they dont get paid for the three days of work (with multiple techs). Ford doesnt pay because nothing was found to be wrong with the truck. They cant charge Phoenix because there is no indication it is anything they did. They didnt charge us because we brought it in for a warranty problem (a noise they could all hear) and they couldnt fix it. To top off this great customer service, Jeff the assistant service manager told us to bring it back if anything started acting up and that they would stand behind us if our warranty expired and then the noise manifested itself into a problem that needed repair. They documented everything to show that the problem existed when we bought it.

2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 09:37:57 pm »

At what speed does the vibration start and it is engine rpm dependent or speed dependent?  And once it starts, does it diminish or get worse as speed increases or remain the same even as speed changes?
Skipper, she starts singing around 50mph. She very quickly reaches a steady rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise that doesn't seem to change with speed. You can, however, hear it better when you lift off the gas. When you drop back under 50 or so, it stops. Jordan Ford jacked her up and "drove" that way and said under those conditions, the noise starts around 45 mph.

Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
________

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 10:09:26 pm »

We will be getting our new 2552 in a few weeks, so I'll be sure to do two things:  1) Have the delivery person (dunno who that will be yet) check for the noise at those and other speeds, and 2) We will also check when we take delivery.  I'll report back our findings.

- Mike
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 12:08:55 am »

The front up under the engine NOISE.

They jacked up her rear end and ran her until she made the noise then threw her into neutral and turned her off and the noise continued for several seconds.
Jordon Ford really did some great research.  In Neutral with engine off, the noise continued until the drive train got below that 50 mph mark.  That rules out everything forward of the transmission.  But the noise came from under the engine.  That implies the noise is originating in the transmission and resonating through the engine.

I would rule out anything related to the engine, also because the noise is not heard in lower gears at high rpm.

It sounds like a transmission matter.  I wonder if you had a full transmission flush done by a Ford dealer, if it would flush out the trouble.  Maybe there is something inside that could be maniputated (made quiet) when flushing the transmission.  Just throwing out possibilities here.

We once had a car with a power steering pump that went bad by vibrating loud.  We replaced the pump and all was fine thereafter.  But if your power steering pump was bad, you would get the noise at high RPMs in lower gears as well.  Therefore I rule that out as a possibility.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:14:55 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: