Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vvvvvvvvvvibration Noise  (Read 3635 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 82
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« on: May 02, 2013, 06:41:01 pm »

HELP!!!! As we left the factory yesterday we discovered the truck/cab had no AC. The guys had already gone for the day so we rolled back to the factory this morning and they were able to fix it. However, half way back to Shipshewana, right about the time we hit 50 mph,we started getting a vibrating noise from the lower dash area. We pushed, pulled and checked what we  would could, then called the factory... and headed back again. Bobby confirmed the problem, checked everything and pulled the engine cover console thing and finally decided it was probably the engine.The Ford rep they work with said we should take it to a dealer. It seems to run fine so we are hoping to wait until we get back to Maryland.

Has anyone had a similar problem? It starts vibrating a bit then gets louder then hits its stride and stays there. Turning the radio up does not cover the noise.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:05:45 pm »

John and Holly,

If you could stay in Indiana and let the Ford dealer that sold the cab to Phoenix Cruiser check it out, I think you would be better served.  That might not be possible if you are in a time crunch.  I would hate to see you get stranded on the road on the way back to Maryland.  I will send you a private email.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:11:45 am »

If you can get to the Indiana dealer, do it. They are much more accustom to dealing with motorhomes than most of the dealer here in Maryland. I think the closes dealer that will work on motorhomes to where you live is in Frederick. The ford dealer in Mt. Airy worked on my 2350 and said they might be able to work on my 2552 but they have not seen it yet. Besides their parking lot is so packed with cars that it scars me to drive into the dealer lot. Not all Ford dealers will work on motorhomes, even our little PCs.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:46:34 am »

Sue and Tom, we are going with your suggestions and are waiting for Phoenix to open to make the call. We might roll out and sit on the doorstep again. We'll do whatever is needed but I hope they don't have to keep it for days. We've already become quite attached to it.

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:19:32 am »

You made the right decision!

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 07:40:34 am »

So what happened? What was the problem and was it fixed?
 pulling hair out

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 08:00:15 am »

We finally made it out of Indiana! We spent yesterday at the Ford dealer in Mishawaka or something. At first they said it sounded like something was loose in the bell housing - not the transmission itself but a loose screw or bolt or metal plate. So their transmission guy took it for a ride and said no, he thinks it is outside the housing and sounds like possibly a bolt or something loose between the heat shield and engine or just a loose shield altogether. Once it gets to a certain RPM (cruising speed) it gets going.  They could not get us in for service until next Thursday so the final diagnosis was they believe it to be safe to drive but it will be annoying as hell (their words).

So we just finished our first leg of the return trip and are stuck finding someone closer to home to work on it. John is driving for now and seemed moderately sane after 5 hours of engine song so we are somewhat good to go.

Signing off: STILL 2 Frazzled but now with a couple of screws loose.

P.S. We LOVE our PC!

Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 11:53:16 am »

I'd suggest you have a look at the heat shield below the cabin and bedroom. It's a fairly long sheet metal piece and I had to brace mine with angle-iron pop-riveted into place to kill a noise.
Good luck.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 05:51:58 pm »

Please do not take this wrong, I am making a general observation after reading 100's of posting on many different forums.   One reason I like buying a used unit (besides the money haha) is it normally has been debugged. The previous owner of our unit had numerous repair bills from his first few months of owning this unit and getting it debugged.  When you purchase a used unit, hopefully you had a consciousness owner who kept records. Then your able to go over the unit yourself and see that everything is in working order and off you go.   It seems every new owner has a list of problems and take cares to do. I know a lot of new owners go the dealer, factory pick up their unit stay a day or two, then drive home.   If I ever buy a brand new unit or recommend to someone buying new, here is what I would do.
   Plan at least a week. pick up the unit and take off for couple of days camping in the new unit. Do a lot of short runs, stop and camp, and repeat. Try and put around a 1000 miles on the unit.Then give yourself couple of days  to run back to the factory/dealer to debug/fix some of the problems.  Realize that this would not be the greatest trip in the world, but man there seems to be some work to do on these units to get them at 100%.  From my reading one thing about the PC people, it seems that the after service they provide is fantastic.  But the owner has to go through a pain the rear to get these things done at the factory or the dealer.  I do not what they recommend at the factoryor the dealer for the new owners when they come in to pick up their unit.  BTW, I am not limiting this to just Cruisers, I had a roadtrek and saw the same problem with new units. Hopefully some of the new owners will chime in and give their thoughts on this subject.
 Congrats on your new unit, I'm jealous
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350 nosld (and debugged haha)
Houston

PS.  I did have a lot to learn and few minor fix it ups. More of maintenance stuff, but nothing that caused trips to the RV repair shop. The new owner of this went to the dealer 7/8 times to get things taken care of under warranty.
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 12:31:09 pm »

I worked for a chevy dealership,when we were slow I was the chosen one who looked for squeaks and rattles. One owner had a rattle under the dash. I spent 30 minutes  looking but I could find no rattle. Got another mechanic to drive while I was on my back, up under the dash, but no rattle. Back to the shop. As I was walking up to find the customer the service writer stop me and asked, What's up. Told him the entire story and wanted to talk to the owner, maybe he could help. At that time the service writer said, he can't help, why I ask? Because he's deaf! So I asked how did he hear it, a friend told him. As calmly as I could, I signed off the job and said, tell him it's fixed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:47:19 pm by billy » Logged

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 12/2012
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 05:10:41 pm »

Recently heard a noise just above the entertainment stereo and thought it was something in the cabinet.  What I found out when we were riding that the noise was the ariel hitting the roof and felt the vibrations when I put my hand on the ceiling as my friend was driv ing.  So I bought felt pads and put them on the rubber feet of the ariel and will see if that helps when I go out next time.  I will keep you posted.
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 08:51:29 am »

Update on our noise. We took it to the local Ford "big truck" shop and they kept it two days before telling us "what noise?" It's a truck. Trucks make noise. John drove down, took them for a test drive, waited till she started singing, then said THAT noise. OH, THAT noise; OK we'll look at it; we may call Ford to see if this is normal for the V10 engine.

The PC has been there another two days and we hope to have an answer by noon today but I have a feeling they won't have fixed anything. We told them we need it to camp in tonight and asked if it would be fixed. Their answer; well, it will be ready to pick up either way... implying a good chance there will be no fix. I LOVE car dealer repair shops. We should have cancelled our local appointments back in May and camped out at the Ford dealer in Indiana to wait out the week until they could look at it.

We are going back through Elkhart in July so we may book an appointment with the Ford dealer there and see if they can quiet her down a bit. At least they know what the engine is SUPPOSED to sound like. What noise, indeed.

BarbRN

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: May 25, 2013
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: beige
ExtColor: tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:18:36 am »

Update on our noise. We took it to the local Ford "big truck" shop and they kept it two days before telling us "what noise?" It's a truck. Trucks make noise. John drove down, took them for a test drive, waited till she started singing, then said THAT noise. OH, THAT noise; OK we'll look at it; we may call Ford to see if this is normal for the V10 engine.

The PC has been there another two days and we hope to have an answer by noon today but I have a feeling they won't have fixed anything. We told them we need it to camp in tonight and asked if it would be fixed. Their answer; well, it will be ready to pick up either way... implying a good chance there will be no fix. I LOVE car dealer repair shops. We should have cancelled our local appointments back in May and camped out at the Ford dealer in Indiana to wait out the week until they could look at it.

We are going back through Elkhart in July so we may book an appointment with the Ford dealer there and see if they can quiet her down a bit. At least they know what the engine is SUPPOSED to sound like. What noise, indeed.

I feel your pain. 
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 09:53:34 pm »

I have a sense of deja vu. Here I sit at Shipshewana campground north typing about our vibration noise. We have around 6,500 miles on our PC and she sang for most of them. John and I have become adept at screaming to each other when on the road. We still can't hear the other one, but we keep trying. Thank goodness we have an onboard bathroom as I'd never get him to stop just by yelling.

So, we've spent the last two days in Mishawaka while the Ford guys drove her, jacked her up and revved the engine and tapped on all her parts and felt for vibrations.  They've come full circle and think the noise may be coming from the transmission bell housing, which is what the first guy that looked at it thought back in May. They have a call in to Ford Motors to see if they can shed any light on the problem and I think to get the authorization to start tearing her apart.

While we wait for that response we'll stop by the factory and see if they can diagnose the cause of a water leak that came up last week. There was a heavy storm while we were out of the rig and we got a good amount of water on the floor behind the cab seats... enough to fry a computer and soak all our work papers. John was able to recover from the blue screen of death and we dried mine before turning it on. So far so good... computer wise. Not so great repair wise.

I know a few other people have had similar problems and I will post the solutions when we have them.  Until then, John, Snickers and I can be found hanging out on random park benches in Indiana.

GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 07:34:39 am »

We had a problem with water coming under the slide in very heavy rain when parked and with the slide out.  With jacks, the solution is easy.  When level, tilt ever so slightly to the drivers side.  The indicators still show level.  No leak.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: