Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Do I need two Air Conditioners?  (Read 1064 times)
wenzOmatic

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: March 2010
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:48:27 am »

Hi,
Time to tap this wealth of PC knowledge again.  We have a 2010 2400 with a slideout and when we camp in temperatures at 95 degrees or above we can't get the interior temp of our PC below 85 degrees even thought our 13.5 BTU A/C runs continually.  It wouldn't be so bad, but because the AC is not ducted the cool air only goes to the front or the back of the rig.  This is severely limiting our camping destinations as we like to travel into warmer climates.

Anyone out there have these same problems?  When we replace our PC and delete the slideout would we still need double A/C units? 

Mike & Trish Wenzel
Oklahoma City, OK

Mike Wenzel
Oklahoma City
rannan5050

________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Oct. 2010
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2009
IntColor: umber
ExtColor: umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:47:18 am »

I had a 2009 2400 and had the same problem with the factory installed ac. The ac just did not put out very cool air, but yet I was told that the air was working fine.  I would suggest looking at getting a different ac unit.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 307
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 11:48:43 am »

Mike and Trish

We have a 2012 2551 and found the A/C was able to keep up with the 90+ temperatures in the keys this winter.   Newer PC's have  MCD Shades that have a sun screen plus a room darkening shade.  We keep the MCD sun screens down on sunny days.  We also have sun screens that we use to cover the three windows in the cab area all the time.  The sun screens help keep the PC cool during the day.  They block the sun but still let you see outside, you don't feel like you are trapped in a cave.  The other thing we did was order thermal windows for our PC.  They work great to keep the heat and cold in/out.  The last thing we do is angle the air deflectors at the front and rear of the A/C down a little to get the cold air away from the ceiling and circulating within the PC.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 12:14:27 pm »

We concur with Barry. The only other thing that we do, is that we bring a small portable fan that we bought at Walgreens. That helps to circulate the air during the day and it has an added benefit at night--I am a light sleeper and the air cycling on and off disturbs my sleep but with the continuous hum of the fan going and the air off I am good for the night.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
wenzOmatic

________
PurchDate: March 2010
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 07:05:35 pm »

I'm also wondering if the factory unit will work better without the slideout?  Anyone having cooling problems with a 2400 or 2350 without the slideout?

Mike Wenzel

Mike Wenzel
Oklahoma City
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:17:48 am »

We concur with Barry. The only other thing that we do, is that we bring a small portable fan that we bought at Walgreens. That helps to circulate the air during the day and it has an added benefit at night--I am a light sleeper and the air cycling on and off disturbs my sleep but with the continuous hum of the fan going and the air off I am good for the night.
Does this mean that you turn the A/C off at night in Florida? I couldn't sleep without the A/C and I'm a few miles North of you. I've found that by switching the fan from auto to on that I get the continuous hum and air from the A/C fan and then when the compressor cycles on and off it's not as noticeable.

Replying to the OP, I would change out the 13.5K A/C to a 15K heatpump and I believe your problem will be solved

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:40:54 pm »

When I bought my 2700 I thoght the AC was a little weak so I fought for a pull down test on a hot day and it would not in 30 min or so, so part of the deal was a 15K unit with heat strip.  Never regretted that one. From a previous class A I kinda formed the opinion that anything over 30' needed two in Okieland and points West.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:42:40 pm by lghjr » Logged
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:46:37 pm »

Yup, we turn off the air between 9 and 10 and only have that fan going. We are usually not here in the heat of the summer although last year we were in Georgia-my little fan died so we had to get another.

We have insulated glass windows, put the shades down to block the sun during the day, have those aluminum colored window protectors for the front and side windows in the cab and all is good!! We also turn off the inverter at night 'cause the cycling on and off disturbs my sleep. As I said, I'm a very light sleeper!

Judi

Punta Gorda FL
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 01:15:42 pm »

Hi Mike,

We have yet to camp in 95 degree weather.  But I believe our no-slideout rig along with the thermal windows makes some difference because we noticed our rig stays quite warm in cold weather.  The worst of the cold (and I assume summer heat) comes from the cab area.  As you have read from other owners, there are some common sense practices that help in hot weather camping.

- yes, the thermal windows (I really like our thermal windows for temperature control and sound deadening)
- yes, a slide out leaks some amount of air, and I think (but uncertain) is not as well insulated.
- equip your rig with window awnings and use them to prevent direct sunlight on your glass.
- buy one of those expensive shade thingys that you place outside over the windshield.  We don't own one of those.
- van side window shades of the same brand and general design.

A 2350 no-slide does not have a lot of cubic feet to cool.  I think you will do fine.  I say this because at home last summer, I did run our a/c once in 100 degree heat for 3 hours straight.  Our 2350 was parked outside a few weeks for a garage sale.  We didn't stay in the rig so we didn't generate heat inside.  I was just exercising the a/c unit & generator and to draw out humidity.    It seemed exceptionally cold inside.  But coming in out of 100 degree heat can be misleading.  I set the thermostat all the way so it wouldn't shut off.

A lot has to do with how often you open the door, cook, etc.

I cannot imagine having two a/c units on top of such a tiny rig.  Just ask the factory for the highest outut unit.  With two a/c units, you will require 50 amp service which throws the rig wiring into a different category.  I think the cost of the a/c and such wiring will become economically impractical.

Ron

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:18:06 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 77
________
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 05:32:08 pm »

- buy one of those expensive shade thingys that you place outside over the windshield.  We don't own one of those.

I believe the expensive shade thingys mentioned by Ron are the MagneShades sold at magneshade.com. When Amanda worked at Phoenix, she sold them to PC owners but she has moved on so they recommend you order direct from the manufacturer. I haven't ordered yet so I don't know the price. Besides blocking the sun, they give you a little privacy during the day with the ability to see out BUT it is like one way glass. Whichever side has more light is visible. If you are in at night with lights on, you want to close your privacy curtains as now they can see in but you can't see out very well.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 07:03:27 pm »

If I recall correctly, they were about $400 last year (or maybel $300). Anyway, we use those aluminum colored reflectors and then close our privacy shades as well in the evening. Works for us!

Punta Gorda FL
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 09:02:45 pm »

we use those aluminum colored reflectors and then close our privacy shades as well in the evening.
Us too.  Maybe four years ago I found Made-For-Ford-E-Series pop-open sun shades at Walmart on clearance real cheap.  I should have bought a few sets.  They are a perfect fit.

They look very similar to these.
They store in the back pocket of a front seat.
You cannot see through them from either direction.
Not as shown, our mirror (now backup camera) is protected from the sun.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:05:29 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 169
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 07:36:38 am »

The problem we found here in Maryland was that the sun's heat is already inside the vehicle by the time the shades are trying to reflect it back outside. I have not seen this type of shade in years. It may work in a cooler area but not so well here. The outside shades that Amanda sold are black and they seem to keep the heat on the outside of our PC. Amanda sold them to me for $400. Ordering them direct might be cheaper. I have tried the white cover that Camping World sells and it did a nice job of keeping the heat out but it glowed a nice off white at night if there are any outside lights. I use the black shades.

Ron, any shade will work if you keep your car in the garage. 

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 307
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 09:11:50 am »

I had an awning shop make a set of sun screens for our 2008 2350.  They work great and the total cost was around $100.

When we got  our 2012 2551 I just moved them over.  The sun screens are now five years old and show very little wear.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:23:14 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 01:03:36 pm »

Ron, any shade will work if you keep your car in the garage. 
I had that comment coming.  Ha, ha.

I just grabbed that picture off the internet as those shades look exactly like ours.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: