Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is a backup monitor worth the extra $$$?  (Read 1099 times)
murphy

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2010, 08:15:20 pm »

Hi All,
I have just ordered a 2350 Sprinter to be delivered in about 2 weeks.  It does not come with a backup monitor. Should I try to have one installed before delivery?  Is it worth the cost?  Thanks for your comments--Murphy
Simple Song

Helpful Rating: 9
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July 2009
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2010 PC2400
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:51:28 am »

I wouldn't be without it. Lets me watch my CRV under tow and traffic near it.

Tom
2010 PC2400
NC Sailors

Helpful Rating: 19
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 03:17:26 pm »

We debated the utility of a monitor given the cost. However, Stewart of Phoenix strongly recommended it. Therefore, we added it to the list. We are glad we did. We would not leave home without it in working order. It will save your life in traffic from the fools out there. You can also back up when driving alone and feel comfortable that you are not going to hit something. With the monitor, I can check to see if the bike and rack are OK. When we attach the toad (a smart Fourtwo), we will be able to see if the toad is behaving. If not, we will just issue the toad a “STATION” command (a Navy joke).

We recommend cleaning the camera lens with a dampened, soft cloth at least once a day. Dust and water drops with the sun behind you make it hard to see.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~ ~ ~
murphy

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 06:28:36 pm »

Thanks for your responses.  It was not suggested to me to get one when I ordered, so I didn't. I have discovered online that there are wireless units that can be added, some even have GPS.  Does anyone have an opinion on that?  My rig arrives on April Fool's day--if I can believe it!  Thanks again.  Murphy
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 03:42:45 pm »

Sorry for chiming in late here.

YES!!!  The backup monitor is worth the money.  We would be very lost, or should I say "Blind" without one.  Not only is it good for visual aid in backing up, but it includes a microphone so you hear whats going on back there.  This is especially beneficial at night when my wife is standing behind the RV, providing hand signals and voice directions.  It is an awesome feature that works well in day or at night with minimal lighting from your back-up lights.

The cost of repair from one impact to something, will be more than the cost of the backup camera.

About going wireless.  I have no experience, therefore I cannot comment.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: