Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Awning Recall  (Read 1453 times)
Paul/Marilyn

Helpful Rating: 15
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 07/12
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Standard
________

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:54:38 pm »

Has anyone heard about a Dometic awning recall? RV Travel website posted the following:
    "In the most recent release of vehicle recall information, the U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) says that several models of Dometics WeatherPro motor powered awnings could have an assembly problem that could cause these awnings to unfurl unexpectedly, at any time, with the RV at rest, or on the road. To that end, NHTSA is telling anyone who owns one of the awnings not to take the RV out on the road until the unit is repaired." There is a lot more info about specific models but we haven't had time to look up the model on our Cruiser. Don't remember if the Cruiser awnings are Dometic or not. Hopefully not.  sad
Marilyn
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:48:46 pm »

They are.  I'll start looking for more info.  Please keep us informed if you find anything.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 07:50:32 am »

Here's the info I found on the recall

PRODUCT RECALL NOTICE

9100 POWER AWNING, WEATHERPRO AWNING,

AND MOTOR SERVICE KIT

Here is a link to an article that identifies the model numbers http://rvnewsservice.com/2013/05/08/recall-tells-thousands-of-rvers-dont-drive-your-rig/

I checked our documentation for the 2012 2551 model and we have a Power Patio Awning Model 895(X)0(X)(X).400(X)    On another forum someone posted that the model serial plate is located inside the front support rail, and you need to extend the awning and get a short ladder to look for it.  It looks like the recall only affects those awnings with motor powered awnings and awning motor service kits manufactured between February 13, 2013 and April 9, 2013.

Sue

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:12:04 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:00:48 am »

Thanks !! Good to know. We just checked our model and Serial # on our 2013 2910 and it isn't part of the recall. Our awning was built in 2012 and the date range for the recalled awnings is Feb.-April 2013.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 03:17:28 pm »

Thanks for the alert on the awning recall.  The information given in the RV News Service article has us confused as to which serial numbers might apply to the awning on the new PC 2350 that we purchased on April 4, 2013.  We definitely have the Model 9100E mentioned in the article.

Update:  We called Dometic at 1-888-943-4905 this morning and were told that our Model 9100E is not part of the recall.  Cheer

Bruce
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:17:45 am by Bruce and Sharon » Logged

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
Jim and Beth

Helpful Rating: 8
________
PurchDate: March 2013
IntColor: Cafe
ExtColor: Full Body Dusk (2012 colors)
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:29:31 am »

We picked up our PC in March and our awning is in the recall. I contacted Dometic on Friday and was given a customer ID number for the repair. The customer service rep indicated that they would arrange to have the repairs made at my location. Waiting to see how this works out.
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:21:46 am »

Update:  We called the Dometic awning recall center at 1-888-943-4905 this morning and were told that our Model 9100E is not part of the recall.
Bruce  Cheer

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:34:32 am »

We are sincerely hoping we aren't in the recall but timing is right for us to be one of the unlucky ones. We are waiting for the wind to die down enough to open the awning and find the numbers. We drove up to her nap spot this weekend but the gusts were wicked and we figured it would be best to wait. We rented a storage space with about 4' between rigs on either side. We REALLY hope our awning doesn't open up and smack the guy next door. Besides the cost, we'd probably get evicted.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
COCO0168

Helpful Rating: 1
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:00:09 am »

The awning recall covers the following awning(s) installed by Phoenix Cruiser:
Model 9100 Electric awning
Manufacture dates: February 13, 2013 to April 9, 2013
Serial numbers: 306XXXXX to 314XXXXX

List of affected sn's that Dometic provided to Phoenix Cruiser follows:
31396318  (recall completed)            31297852                                  30895269
30799473                                       31095232                                  30895270 (recall completed)
30799474                                       31095233 
31297851                                       30895268  (recall completed)
There may be others that Dometic missed so check your serial numbers.  If you extend your awning and face it from
outside, there are labels located on fabric on left end and on the roller tube on the right end.  You will probably have
to get a ladder to read them.
If you have an awning that is on the above list or it is not listed and falls in the mfg or sn range, you can contact
Dometic at 1-888-943-4905 with your awning information and they can walk you through where to go to have
issue corrected.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:04:44 am by COCO0168 » Logged
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 03:34:07 pm »

Ours is the first serial number on the list. We haven't had the recall done yet so I'm not sure why it says recall was completed. We are trying to get Kermit or someone at the factory to tell us if they had Dometic do the fix prior to our pickup... we don't really think so though, figuring they would have told us. We DID call Dometic and they are trying to get someone to our campsite before we have to leave on Sunday. Since we may have to drive it again before service, they read the safety instructions to us. HOLY COW! I will print a shortened version here. DO NOT use this as the official info - if you have to move your rig, call Dometic and let them read to you. I could have missed something. Of course, if you call Dometic, they read to you, you have to drive it, the awning deploys and you wreck... they are going to try to claim no liability because you were warned.

So here goes:
1 - Secure the hardware arms. Ensure that the front arm is fully closed against the back channel. Secure with something like zip ties BETWEEN the motorhome and the channel. Secure the arm as close to the top as possible. You must secure it with at least 3 ties on each arm. (Note that there is NO space between the channel and the motorhome, we'd probably have to unscrew the channel enough for it to pull away.)
2 - Repeat with the rear arm.
3 - Secure the awning fabric. When the awning is closed, there is a small amount of fabric visible between the rail running along the motorhome and the roller assembly. Locate the forward edge of the fabric, toward the front of the RV. Measure back one foot and cut a three inch slit running parallel to the tube and rail. Measure another one foot back from the back end of the three inch slit and slit the canopy toward the back, stopping when you are one foot from the end of the fabric at the rear of the motorhome. If properly done you will have, from front of motorhome to rear, one foot of fabric, a three inch slit, one foot of fabric, a really long slit, one foot of fabric. Now secure the fabric with three fasteners. One through the three inch slit. One as close to the middle of the awning as possible. One at the back end of the long slit. (Dometic will replace your awning fabric.)
4 - Proceed to a service facility. Do not exceed 50 mph.

If the service guy can't get out here, we'll be making a run out for some cable ties and sharpening the kitchen knife.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:59:00 pm »

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 05:13:55 pm »

YIKES is right, it might be easier to pull it off the RV and tell Dometic where they can find it!  Grin

2010  PC 2551
Jim and Beth

Helpful Rating: 8
________
PurchDate: March 2013
IntColor: Cafe
ExtColor: Full Body Dusk (2012 colors)
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 05:37:20 pm »

I had posted earlier that our 2910 had an awning in the recall (number 4 on the list). After contacting Dometic and getting my customer ID number for the recall they were unable to get my repair completed in NH before a planned trip to Ohio. I was read the "rules" and decided to do the following:
1. extended the awning out approximately 1/4 of the way so I could get to the rail frame.
2. using 14" zip ties, I taped three ties on the u-shaped rail at three equal locations from top to bottom of the rail using a short piece of duct tape.
3. closed the awning while keeping the zip ties to the outside of the rails as they collapsed in position.
4. put 3/4" weather stripping on the front of the collapsed rail and pulled the zip ties tight. The weather stripping was to avoid any damage to the painted surface of the rail.

Traveled over 1800 miles to Ohio and back at highway speeds with no issues. I did not secure the actual awning material because six zip ties around the folding mechanism should be secure enough. This is what worked for me, but each owner must make their own decision. In my case I was not going to miss my grandson's first birthday party.

As of today, still working with Dometic to get the repair completed here in NH.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 07:33:59 am »

Some times it is good to be first, but this is definitely not one of those times.  pulling hair out

I hope the repairman gets there before you have to leave the campground. There There

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 10
________
PurchDate: 3/26/13
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 09:10:04 am »

Hello all,
      I got lucky, I was at the factory for some minor repaires on our new 3100, had them check the Awning and it was on the list so I stayed another day and had it repaired, I think Carol said I was next to the last person to have it fixed.

Jim
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: