Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ford Handling Issues  (Read 1147 times)
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2013, 10:46:55 pm »

My Ford F350 had some handling issues.  Basically, it had a mind of its own, meaning on a straight smooth road it liked to wonder where constant corrections was needed. This was not fixed by the standard alignment, or changing tire presures etc.

The internet is a swell tool.  I just had to Google this problem and I came up with this fine site:
http://forums.motorhomemagazine.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24815915/print/true.cfm

To understand all this: http://www.d26.net/240sx/mirrors/Whiteline_WheelAlignmentTermsAndTheory.htm

Apparently this wondering issue is addressed by checking the wheel caster alignment.

So I did what was suggested and had the alignment shop change my caster from 0 (zero) to 5 degrees.

In one word; "Amazing".  I would suggest to anyone who is not satisfied with their Fords handling ability to do the same.  This sure beats throwing money at suspension improvments and then finding the problem still exist.

I then went one step further.. My stearing seemed to be tight. (Ford already changed out the stearing gear box).  With the suggestion from my brother, who works at Ford, I disconnected the stearing stablizer.  Now the stearing preasure is more normal. Alignment shop say to just remove
it, and I did.

Just thought I would pass this info on to any who may have the same problems.

Denny

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
Denny & Barb

________
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:59:47 am »

New steering stabilizer.  Fords original was bad.  Unequal resistance in/out. Was under warranty.  Made a huge difference in handling along with the alignment issue mentioned below.

Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »

Great tip
    Especially for owners of new rigs. I have an 2008 and the previous owner went and spent a small fortune on the stabilizers an shocks           ( thank you very much haha)...drives like a charm,,,, hopefully new owners will see your suggestion and go that route first,, will save some them some money.   a star for you
David Sparks
Denny & Barb

________
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 06:51:59 pm »

Continuing saga maybe?  But Monroe's made for Ford steering stabilizer, broke again, after only a few thousand miles.
 Cry    Our trip to NC and AR, I noticed my PC was acting squirrelly again.  See my previous post, where I had a Ford replacement on this SS already this summer.

Noting my handling problem returned, I was tempted to disconnect the SS when I was in Arkansas' but I didn't.  A bad SS is worse than none at all I found.  Wish now I would have, because Monroe #2 went south on me.

When I got home I ordered a Bilstein replacement instead of going for #3 Monroe.   Tested the Monroe and the out pressure was40 lbs but the in was only 19!  (They are support to be equal!

the Bilstein is not only 1.5lbs heavier, but in/out pressure is 60 lbs.

I included a couple of pics one the old and one the new.

Denny and Barb

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 05:58:26 am »

I put both the Bilstein shocks and steering dampener on my 2552 and love the improvement in handling. Let us know what you think of the dampener.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Denny & Barb

________
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:02:27 am »

Tom, I also put bilstein shocks on earlier. Don't know if they made a big difference or not because I had steering dampener problems with the old OEM part. 

Did also take the buggy for a short test drive after I changed out the dampener yesterday, and the handling was good and straight.  However there was no crosswind or funny roads to check it out on.   Now its tucked away for three months.  But God willing, it should be headed to Arizona February 1st again.  Will comment after I find some good winds out there. :-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: