Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trip to yellowstone  (Read 360 times)
jmosier

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 12/29/2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit
ExtColor: Cafe
________

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:16:20 pm »

Hi, I am going on a trip to Yellowstone on Friday.  The temperature at night will be anywhere from 24 to26 degrees.  I am a Southern California boy and have never been in this type of weather.  Can anyone give me what I need to do with the hose to keep it from freezing  and any other problems that i might have?

thanks

Jim
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 131
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 03:03:46 pm »

I disconnect the water supply hose from the RV and drain the hose, run off on-board water for the night.  All the water plumbing is within the insulated and heated interior so they are fine.  One exception is the outdoor shower,  it is in an outside compartment that is only protected by the plastic door.  There may be enough heat from the interior to keep that faucet from freezing, but I usually will put a small towel or crumpled newspaper inside the door to help insulate from the outside temps - so far no problems.

Make sure the waste tank heaters are on.  Keep the waste tank valves closed and run the macerator pump to drain as much water out of the pump as possible.

Also, we keep an electric heater running all night so that the noisy gas furnace does not need to be used at night.

This has worked for us in lower temps than you are expecting to see, good luck and have fun,
Bob

2010  PC 2551
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 27
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:48:29 pm »

I'm going to be the camp host at Henry's Lake State Park in Idaho about 18 miles from the west entrance to Yellowstone, but won't be there until May 23--and they don't open for the season until after memorial day.  Anyway, your main concern would be the water hose if you have hook-ups.  I left mine connected once, and the next morning had a frozen hose and water pressure regulator which had to be replaced.  Lesson learned the hard way.  On a previous PC, I did have the outside shower head freeze and break.  I now unscrew the shower head when it's going to be below freezing--just in case.  Park next to Old Faithful--that'll keep everything warm...
jmosier

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: 12/29/2012
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit
ExtColor: Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 10:56:55 am »

My thanks for your help and advise.  One question, I did not know I had a wast tank heater.  Where might I find the switch?

Jim
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:42 pm »

The switch in my 2012 2552 is in the bathroom on the wall by the wardrobe and back window.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: